Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Programming with Thuum!

ImaginaryPart
February 17, 2016

(Not perfect English, I know. Sorry)

One day I worked on a Python Program while my dragon friend was sleeping next to me.

Suddenly he woke up and saw what I was working on. He was fascinated and caught. Very interested! "That looks very spellbounding! What are you doing? I want to learn that! That looks awesome!"

The one and only thing I was able to say, was: "That gets difficult for you, my friend. Because then you have to learn to read and to write every latin letter. The letters you are using doesn't work with this. But you have a well evolved brain and you won't get any problems learning programming. Too bad." Because of this one and only little thing he won't be able to do this. But I tried fixing it. A language he was able to write. A solution. I found: THUUM-PYTHON!

What about other ideas (I didn't try Java, C++ and other)? And how is this idea? (It's crazy and really not lore-friendly, but why not?)

I didn't know how to write numbers. So I thought that Dragons can read numbers with base 2 (10110 = 22). Also I invented Brackets () [] and #.

This program should display a window with "Hello World" in Dovahzul. On a Thuum-Based system. If there would be one.

(Next time I think about Mathematic-Formula with that. It looks interesting.

A simple Hello World Program, Handwritten using Photoshop:

by ImaginaryPart
February 17, 2016

(Not perfect English, I know. Sorry)

One day I worked on a Python Program while my dragon friend was sleeping next to me.

Suddenly he woke up and saw what I was working on. He was fascinated and caught. Very interested! "That looks very spellbounding! What are you doing? I want to learn that! That looks awesome!"

The one and only thing I was able to say, was: "That gets difficult for you, my friend. Because then you have to learn to read and to write every latin letter. The letters you are using doesn't work with this. But you have a well evolved brain and you won't get any problems learning programming. Too bad." Because of this one and only little thing he won't be able to do this. But I tried fixing it. A language he was able to write. A solution. I found: THUUM-PYTHON!

What about other ideas (I didn't try Java, C++ and other)? And how is this idea? (It's crazy and really not lore-friendly, but why not?)

I didn't know how to write numbers. So I thought that Dragons can read numbers with base 2 (10110 = 22). Also I invented Brackets () [] and #.

This program should display a window with "Hello World" in Dovahzul. On a Thuum-Based system. If there would be one.

(Next time I think about Mathematic-Formula with that. It looks interesting.

A simple Hello World Program, Handwritten using Photoshop:

Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016

That was quite the translation! Here's a romanization for less rune-oriented people such as myself:

0    kosil tkinter
01    voth tkinter kosil ttk
100    vorul maag_vandul(tkinter.tk):
101    vorul_faan = "maag vandul"
111    v = maag_vandul() // pelaak vandul
1001    kuldde = (101101, "ahnok lein", "!")
1010    k = ""
1100    for i ko weyt(0,ling(kuldde)):
1101    k += trin(kuldde)
1110    waan(ni i == 10):
1111    k += " "
10001    i = tkinter.faan(v)
10010    pelaak hel_kuld(kuld):
10011        pahleinuv i
10100        i.kuld = kuld
10110    hel_kuld(k)
10111    i.koris()
11001    // bex vekduul
11011    v.maagkenlok()

followed by a translation to English and the best Python my limited skill will allow:

0    import tkinter
01    with tkinter import ttk
100    class main_window(tkinter.tk):
101    class_name = "main window"
111    v = main_window() // define window
1001    texts = (101101, "hello world", "!")
1010    k = ""
1100    for i in range(0,len(texts)):
1101    k += string(texts)
1110    if(not i == 10):
1111    k += " "
10001    i = tkinter.name(v)
10010    def set_text(text):
10011        global i
10100        i.text = text
10110    set_text(k)
10111    i.input()
11001    // open window
11011    v.maincycle()

This might just be the single most creative thing I have ever seen on the site. Your brackets and punctuation fit the rune aesthetic very well. In all likelihood, such an undertaking was only possible in the age of invented vocabulary.

by Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016

That was quite the translation! Here's a romanization for less rune-oriented people such as myself:

0    kosil tkinter
01    voth tkinter kosil ttk
100    vorul maag_vandul(tkinter.tk):
101    vorul_faan = "maag vandul"
111    v = maag_vandul() // pelaak vandul
1001    kuldde = (101101, "ahnok lein", "!")
1010    k = ""
1100    for i ko weyt(0,ling(kuldde)):
1101    k += trin(kuldde)
1110    waan(ni i == 10):
1111    k += " "
10001    i = tkinter.faan(v)
10010    pelaak hel_kuld(kuld):
10011        pahleinuv i
10100        i.kuld = kuld
10110    hel_kuld(k)
10111    i.koris()
11001    // bex vekduul
11011    v.maagkenlok()

followed by a translation to English and the best Python my limited skill will allow:

0    import tkinter
01    with tkinter import ttk
100    class main_window(tkinter.tk):
101    class_name = "main window"
111    v = main_window() // define window
1001    texts = (101101, "hello world", "!")
1010    k = ""
1100    for i in range(0,len(texts)):
1101    k += string(texts)
1110    if(not i == 10):
1111    k += " "
10001    i = tkinter.name(v)
10010    def set_text(text):
10011        global i
10100        i.text = text
10110    set_text(k)
10111    i.input()
11001    // open window
11011    v.maincycle()

This might just be the single most creative thing I have ever seen on the site. Your brackets and punctuation fit the rune aesthetic very well. In all likelihood, such an undertaking was only possible in the age of invented vocabulary.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 17, 2016

Just commenting to say that your handwriting looks amazing! Nice work!

by paarthurnax
February 17, 2016

Just commenting to say that your handwriting looks amazing! Nice work!

ImaginaryPart
February 18, 2016

@paarthurnax: Thank you ^^. When I started learning I instantly begun to learn to write/read the runes. But while I was working - my hand begun to hurt...

@freymulaar:

In Python for commentation "#" is used. // does work in Java, JavaScript, C++ or C#, (and lot more) but not here.

Line 10: It has to be "from tkinter import ttk", maybe I mixed them up while looking them up.

Line 1001: Here I used a list, not a tuple (would be possible too). I wanted to use angular brackets. (Compare them with the other brackets, I wrote them differently)

Line 1101: The method for getting a string object out of integer or list for example, is str(x).

Line 10001: I tried to express a tkinter.Label() object.

Line 10111: Here I tried to express i.pack(), but there's no word "to pack". It is a method to "build" a widget into a window.

Line 11011: v.mainloop() is the method to start the mainloop of a window (Here v).

It isn't easy to find ways (with these runes' rules) to express a symmetry and a sorrounding around an expression. I needed here: +, =, (, ), . (no fullstop, here it's an "inheritence mark"), :, #, angular brackets.

Today I thought about possibilities, how such a source-code could be used in the lore. I thought about dragons using magic flat stone plates (maybe basalt), where something is written on and then instantly a sollution will be printed out (like a command console, or Python IDLE). Maybe I will draw a picture to show this idea.

I wonder, why there is no idea like this here. My opinion: Dragons should also be able to do things like programming or maths. Once they ruled. Not only communication is important to be successful. Mathematic searching for a sollution for example for answering questions like "How do I have to fly, that I take the shortest way to be at least once in Windhelm, Solitude and so on?", or simply: "How much stamina do I have? Is it enough to fly from point A to point B? How long does it take then? Will it be night, when I arrive?"

Next time I try to do that with Maths (with german conventions, because I'm german, but it's not that different). I like writing thinks like this. Because when I write mathematic expressions, it's not only work - it's art.

by ImaginaryPart
February 18, 2016

@paarthurnax: Thank you ^^. When I started learning I instantly begun to learn to write/read the runes. But while I was working - my hand begun to hurt...

@freymulaar:

In Python for commentation "#" is used. // does work in Java, JavaScript, C++ or C#, (and lot more) but not here.

Line 10: It has to be "from tkinter import ttk", maybe I mixed them up while looking them up.

Line 1001: Here I used a list, not a tuple (would be possible too). I wanted to use angular brackets. (Compare them with the other brackets, I wrote them differently)

Line 1101: The method for getting a string object out of integer or list for example, is str(x).

Line 10001: I tried to express a tkinter.Label() object.

Line 10111: Here I tried to express i.pack(), but there's no word "to pack". It is a method to "build" a widget into a window.

Line 11011: v.mainloop() is the method to start the mainloop of a window (Here v).

It isn't easy to find ways (with these runes' rules) to express a symmetry and a sorrounding around an expression. I needed here: +, =, (, ), . (no fullstop, here it's an "inheritence mark"), :, #, angular brackets.

Today I thought about possibilities, how such a source-code could be used in the lore. I thought about dragons using magic flat stone plates (maybe basalt), where something is written on and then instantly a sollution will be printed out (like a command console, or Python IDLE). Maybe I will draw a picture to show this idea.

I wonder, why there is no idea like this here. My opinion: Dragons should also be able to do things like programming or maths. Once they ruled. Not only communication is important to be successful. Mathematic searching for a sollution for example for answering questions like "How do I have to fly, that I take the shortest way to be at least once in Windhelm, Solitude and so on?", or simply: "How much stamina do I have? Is it enough to fly from point A to point B? How long does it take then? Will it be night, when I arrive?"

Next time I try to do that with Maths (with german conventions, because I'm german, but it's not that different). I like writing thinks like this. Because when I write mathematic expressions, it's not only work - it's art.

Frinmulaar
February 18, 2016

Extremely stretchy speculations like these are ultimately made futile by dragonkind's immortality. If one is the "apex predator" of all the material planes and doesn't fear even death itself, what reason is there to change one's culture?

Of course that doesn't mean such thinking can't be fun and engaging. Contrast these campaign posters.

by Frinmulaar
February 18, 2016

Extremely stretchy speculations like these are ultimately made futile by dragonkind's immortality. If one is the "apex predator" of all the material planes and doesn't fear even death itself, what reason is there to change one's culture?

Of course that doesn't mean such thinking can't be fun and engaging. Contrast these campaign posters.

Ahkrin Descol
February 18, 2016

I wonder if there's a font file lying around, might use the runes to stop prying eyes at uni.  I don't want to know how long it took to draw a hello world program, very pretty.

by Ahkrin Descol
February 18, 2016

I wonder if there's a font file lying around, might use the runes to stop prying eyes at uni.  I don't want to know how long it took to draw a hello world program, very pretty.

ImaginaryPart
February 18, 2016

@{Ahkrin Descol}: I think I would be able to create a font file. But at the moment I only would be able. I have to understand my program used for font creation ... Also I have to fix the "double-runes" in the file then. The file used here uses 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 for the runes ii,ir,aa,ah(...). With my counting system (base 2) I only need 2 spaces for 0 and 1. This rune-system just doesn't give enough room to create more unique but not too complex runes as the latin letters do. There's no rune with two lines crossing for example. Whereas it wouldn't seem illogical. I think I have to use this, if I want to start creating translations for mathematic expressions like sqrt,sinh,cosh,tan,asin,Im,Re and the special characters.

by ImaginaryPart
February 18, 2016

@{Ahkrin Descol}: I think I would be able to create a font file. But at the moment I only would be able. I have to understand my program used for font creation ... Also I have to fix the "double-runes" in the file then. The file used here uses 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 for the runes ii,ir,aa,ah(...). With my counting system (base 2) I only need 2 spaces for 0 and 1. This rune-system just doesn't give enough room to create more unique but not too complex runes as the latin letters do. There's no rune with two lines crossing for example. Whereas it wouldn't seem illogical. I think I have to use this, if I want to start creating translations for mathematic expressions like sqrt,sinh,cosh,tan,asin,Im,Re and the special characters.

Orkar Isber
February 19, 2016
Ahkrin Descol

if you mean a dovahzul font file...there are. Just google - we also have 2 stored on thios website im using one myself ^^

by Orkar Isber
February 19, 2016
Ahkrin Descol

if you mean a dovahzul font file...there are. Just google - we also have 2 stored on thios website im using one myself ^^

ImaginaryPart
February 19, 2016

I'll make on for myself. Working, working, working, drawing, drawing, drawing, until I'm happy. What would be possibilities (not yet written here) like { or } ? (and the rest of it) I would think about my method for writing the angular brackets, but with a point before the opening brackets and a point after the closing brackets...

by ImaginaryPart
February 19, 2016

I'll make on for myself. Working, working, working, drawing, drawing, drawing, until I'm happy. What would be possibilities (not yet written here) like { or } ? (and the rest of it) I would think about my method for writing the angular brackets, but with a point before the opening brackets and a point after the closing brackets...

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.