Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Let's Talk About the Weather

Dezonikso
March 2, 2016
Correct me if I am wrong, but Scottish people have over 100 different ways to express different types of just rain, and the Inuit have over 50 different ways to express snow. Dragons describe snow as Od, a cloud as Gram, and the sun as Krein or Shul. Those are just a few examples, but it would be interesting to learn how to describe and use different types of weather in a conversation, a story, song or poem just as the dov would.

I'll start with trying to express rain as either lokluv or luvselok, and a thunderstorm as either lovaaslok, qogram, strunseqo, lovaasstrun, or variations of such compounds. Anybody have any thoughts? How would you describe a thunderstorm or rain in general from a dovah's perspective?
by Dezonikso
March 2, 2016
Correct me if I am wrong, but Scottish people have over 100 different ways to express different types of just rain, and the Inuit have over 50 different ways to express snow. Dragons describe snow as Od, a cloud as Gram, and the sun as Krein or Shul. Those are just a few examples, but it would be interesting to learn how to describe and use different types of weather in a conversation, a story, song or poem just as the dov would.

I'll start with trying to express rain as either lokluv or luvselok, and a thunderstorm as either lovaaslok, qogram, strunseqo, lovaasstrun, or variations of such compounds. Anybody have any thoughts? How would you describe a thunderstorm or rain in general from a dovah's perspective?

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 2, 2016

I'm always partial to colorful words, things like bahselok "wrath of the sky" or nahsegram "fury of the clouds". "Thunder" might be strun-rein "storm-roar".

by paarthurnax
March 2, 2016

I'm always partial to colorful words, things like bahselok "wrath of the sky" or nahsegram "fury of the clouds". "Thunder" might be strun-rein "storm-roar".

Veyd Sahvoz
March 2, 2016
What about [Lok strun] "Sky Storm" or would I have to add the '-' to it?
by Veyd Sahvoz
March 2, 2016
What about [Lok strun] "Sky Storm" or would I have to add the '-' to it?

Dezonikso
March 2, 2016
Paarth, that is a very interesting way to look at it. I also enjoy colourful words, hence lovaaslok, "sky song". I had a thought not too long ago that perhaps it depends on how you would say what type of weather you're speaking of that would help distinguish what exact variation of the type to which you are referring.

For example, lovaaslok, nahsegram, and strun-rein would all describe the same kind of weather, but would be different variations depending on which you chose to use. Lovaaslok could be the kind of rythmic hammering intervals of thunder that are almost constant, but are kind of low in volume and pitch with the occasional spikes. Strun-rein could describe a really long, earth-rumbling bass explosion like thunder that happens every so often in a particularly heavy rainstorm. And nahsegram would be almost something along the lines of a thunderstorm, either without any rain or with torrential downpours (user's preference), in which the thunder is long and almost constant, but the pitch can change dramatically or stay fairly stoic (again user's preference).

These are just my thoughts. I'd like to be able to be as specific as possible while also being as contextual as possible.
by Dezonikso
March 2, 2016
Paarth, that is a very interesting way to look at it. I also enjoy colourful words, hence lovaaslok, "sky song". I had a thought not too long ago that perhaps it depends on how you would say what type of weather you're speaking of that would help distinguish what exact variation of the type to which you are referring.

For example, lovaaslok, nahsegram, and strun-rein would all describe the same kind of weather, but would be different variations depending on which you chose to use. Lovaaslok could be the kind of rythmic hammering intervals of thunder that are almost constant, but are kind of low in volume and pitch with the occasional spikes. Strun-rein could describe a really long, earth-rumbling bass explosion like thunder that happens every so often in a particularly heavy rainstorm. And nahsegram would be almost something along the lines of a thunderstorm, either without any rain or with torrential downpours (user's preference), in which the thunder is long and almost constant, but the pitch can change dramatically or stay fairly stoic (again user's preference).

These are just my thoughts. I'd like to be able to be as specific as possible while also being as contextual as possible.

Frinmulaar
March 3, 2016
@Veyd, isn't that a bit redundant? All storms happen in the sky, save for metaphorical ones.

For backup, here's a list of words that can describe weather by themselves:

Shul, gram, strun, qo;
Ven, riik, kest, wuld;
Od, iiz;
Diin, krah, faas, frin;

Most compounds will have to be based on these. Anything to add?
by Frinmulaar
March 3, 2016
@Veyd, isn't that a bit redundant? All storms happen in the sky, save for metaphorical ones.

For backup, here's a list of words that can describe weather by themselves:

Shul, gram, strun, qo;

Ven, riik, kest, wuld;

Od, iiz;

Diin, krah, faas, frin;

Most compounds will have to be based on these. Anything to add?

Dezonikso
March 6, 2016
I'd like to get a list going for different ways to describe different weather patterns, styles and intensities. I'll get to thinking, post what I come up with, and add anything anyone wishes to contribute with.
by Dezonikso
March 6, 2016
I'd like to get a list going for different ways to describe different weather patterns, styles and intensities. I'll get to thinking, post what I come up with, and add anything anyone wishes to contribute with.

Dezonikso
March 14, 2016
I believe I have the start of a nice list going. I'll post it once I have a few min or details sorted. It has the dovahzul word (whether it is a singular word or a compound), the direct English translation, and then in parentheses is the specific kind of weather you would use that word to describe. I am hoping this list will spark some more discussion over the weather.
by Dezonikso
March 14, 2016
I believe I have the start of a nice list going. I'll post it once I have a few min or details sorted. It has the dovahzul word (whether it is a singular word or a compound), the direct English translation, and then in parentheses is the specific kind of weather you would use that word to describe. I am hoping this list will spark some more discussion over the weather.

Dezonikso
March 19, 2016
I have the list finished as per what I have thought of so far. Please do add onto it, as my goal is to have an accurate list of words and compound words to describe the weather. And be as creative as you like to describe what you wish. Be as specific as possible. Dovahzul is all about context.
by Dezonikso
March 19, 2016
I have the list finished as per what I have thought of so far. Please do add onto it, as my goal is to have an accurate list of words and compound words to describe the weather. And be as creative as you like to describe what you wish. Be as specific as possible. Dovahzul is all about context.

Dezonikso
March 19, 2016
-Shul....Sun (fair skies; sunny day)
-Gram....Cloud (cloudy skies)
-Strun....Storm (average storm; occasional low rumble; fair rainfall)
-Qo....Lightning (occasional lightning flashes; almost no rumble of thunder)
-Ven....Wind (windy; trees move)
-Riik....Gale (very windy; trees bend and risk breaking)
-Kest....Tempest (incredibly windy; tree branches bend and snap; shallow-rooted trees fall)
-Wuld....Whirlwind, Vortex (tornado; destruction by wind)
-Kaan....Kyne (clear skies; warm air; wonderful aromas; bright sunshine)
-Od....Snow (blanket of snow; usually after snow has stopped falling)
-Odus....Snowy (snow fall; snow covers most surfaces)
-Iiz....Ice (hail; ice covers any surface that was once water; intense cold)
-Diin....Freeze (water freezes; lakes can be walked upon; must seek shelter from cold)
-Krah....Cold (cold weather, below body temperature; slightly uncomfortable)
-Fo....Frost (low temperature; very uncomfortable)
-Faad....Warm (warm weather, normally around human body temperature)
-Frin....Hot (hot weather, above human body temperature but still habitable)
-Yol....Fire (hot, dry weather; high forest-fire risk)
-Toor....Inferno (incredibly hot, dry weather; slightest spark sets grass ablaze)
-Lovaaslok....Sky Song (rhythmic, low thundering)
-Nahsegram....Fury of the Clouds (thunderstorm; torrential downpours; deep, constant, rumbling)
-Strun-rein....Storm-roar (long, explosion-like, deep thunder)
-Bahselok....Wrath of the Sky (lightning flashes; constant rumbling; occasional strun-rein, but smaller scale)
-Krein....Magnus (bold, almost blistering, powerful sunny day)
-Vukeinselok....Combat of the Sky (back and forth thundering; heavy-light alternating rainfall)
-Naxselokluv....Cruelty of Sky Tears (relentless, torrential rain; soaks everything to the bone)
-Klostrun....Sandstorm (sand whips through sky like torrential downpour; low visibility)
-Lokluv....Rain (teardrop sized droplets; as frequent as tears from an eye)
-Bahsekaan....Wrath of Kyne (need I say more?)
by Dezonikso
March 19, 2016
-Shul....Sun (fair skies; sunny day)

-Gram....Cloud (cloudy skies)

-Strun....Storm (average storm; occasional low rumble; fair rainfall)

-Qo....Lightning (occasional lightning flashes; almost no rumble of thunder)

-Ven....Wind (windy; trees move)

-Riik....Gale (very windy; trees bend and risk breaking)

-Kest....Tempest (incredibly windy; tree branches bend and snap; shallow-rooted trees fall)

-Wuld....Whirlwind, Vortex (tornado; destruction by wind)

-Kaan....Kyne (clear skies; warm air; wonderful aromas; bright sunshine)

-Od....Snow (blanket of snow; usually after snow has stopped falling)

-Odus....Snowy (snow fall; snow covers most surfaces)

-Iiz....Ice (hail; ice covers any surface that was once water; intense cold)

-Diin....Freeze (water freezes; lakes can be walked upon; must seek shelter from cold)

-Krah....Cold (cold weather, below body temperature; slightly uncomfortable)

-Fo....Frost (low temperature; very uncomfortable)

-Faad....Warm (warm weather, normally around human body temperature)

-Frin....Hot (hot weather, above human body temperature but still habitable)

-Yol....Fire (hot, dry weather; high forest-fire risk)

-Toor....Inferno (incredibly hot, dry weather; slightest spark sets grass ablaze)

-Lovaaslok....Sky Song (rhythmic, low thundering)

-Nahsegram....Fury of the Clouds (thunderstorm; torrential downpours; deep, constant, rumbling)

-Strun-rein....Storm-roar (long, explosion-like, deep thunder)

-Bahselok....Wrath of the Sky (lightning flashes; constant rumbling; occasional strun-rein, but smaller scale)

-Krein....Magnus (bold, almost blistering, powerful sunny day)

-Vukeinselok....Combat of the Sky (back and forth thundering; heavy-light alternating rainfall)

-Naxselokluv....Cruelty of Sky Tears (relentless, torrential rain; soaks everything to the bone)

-Klostrun....Sandstorm (sand whips through sky like torrential downpour; low visibility)

-Lokluv....Rain (teardrop sized droplets; as frequent as tears from an eye)

-Bahsekaan....Wrath of Kyne (need I say more?)

Dezonikso
March 19, 2016
Take from it what you will. I tried being as specific as I could with the translation contexts. Anyone have anything to add?
by Dezonikso
March 19, 2016
Take from it what you will. I tried being as specific as I could with the translation contexts. Anyone have anything to add?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.