Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Duolingo Dovahzul Course

Orkar Isber
March 17, 2016

Drem Yol Lok everyone

since Duolingo kinda changed its policy and allows Conlangs into its site (Esperanto already avalaiable, Klingon in Progress) wouldnt it be great to create a Dovahzul Course for Duolingo?

I know we already have some on Memrise and they are good but Memrise lacks some things, one being its just a memorisation plattform and secondly the gamification that keeps people interested in learning and makes it easier to stay on track. Also it would introduce a bigger audience to the language.

I myself dont feel like i am competent enough to start the Duolingo Dovahzul course but i would definitely participate in creating it. Would anyone else be on board?

by Orkar Isber
March 17, 2016

Drem Yol Lok everyone

since Duolingo kinda changed its policy and allows Conlangs into its site (Esperanto already avalaiable, Klingon in Progress) wouldnt it be great to create a Dovahzul Course for Duolingo?

I know we already have some on Memrise and they are good but Memrise lacks some things, one being its just a memorisation plattform and secondly the gamification that keeps people interested in learning and makes it easier to stay on track. Also it would introduce a bigger audience to the language.

I myself dont feel like i am competent enough to start the Duolingo Dovahzul course but i would definitely participate in creating it. Would anyone else be on board?

tiideinmaar
August 23, 2016

That sounds like a great idea! I also do not know enough of the language to start a course, however I would like to help in any way I can. Perhaps if we get enough people interested, we could make it a reality!

by tiideinmaar
August 23, 2016

That sounds like a great idea! I also do not know enough of the language to start a course, however I would like to help in any way I can. Perhaps if we get enough people interested, we could make it a reality!

BuggyDragon
September 19, 2016

What a great idea! This is something that should definately be considered. I'm not sure who would be qualified to create the course, though. Who made the Memrise course?

Also, would the course be cannon-only, or would fan-made words be included too? (I feel like fan-made ones that are in general use should be included in the Memrise course, honestly.)

by BuggyDragon
September 19, 2016

What a great idea! This is something that should definately be considered. I'm not sure who would be qualified to create the course, though. Who made the Memrise course?

Also, would the course be cannon-only, or would fan-made words be included too? (I feel like fan-made ones that are in general use should be included in the Memrise course, honestly.)

Dovahskar
November 22, 2016

I absolutely agree. Duolingo allows for a much more complete learning experience that I find easier to retain. It also allows for more sentence based learning that should assist beginners in better grasping sentence construction and grammatical issues. I would love to see this happen. I am assuming with the dictionary revamp that this would only be possible once the legacy dictionary has been either entirely phased out or adjusted to canon to avoid needing to constantly update the course though.

by Dovahskar
November 22, 2016

I absolutely agree. Duolingo allows for a much more complete learning experience that I find easier to retain. It also allows for more sentence based learning that should assist beginners in better grasping sentence construction and grammatical issues. I would love to see this happen. I am assuming with the dictionary revamp that this would only be possible once the legacy dictionary has been either entirely phased out or adjusted to canon to avoid needing to constantly update the course though.

Liis
Administrator
November 25, 2016
@Dovahskar,

The Legacy Dictionary doesn't update itself as we don't maintain it anymore, so the course wouldn't update either.
by Liis
November 25, 2016
@Dovahskar,

The Legacy Dictionary doesn't update itself as we don't maintain it anymore, so the course wouldn't update either.

Beinodvith
December 20, 2016

great idea... ive used duolingo learning languages and it helps, even tho i am still not fluent in any of them.

by Beinodvith
December 20, 2016

great idea... ive used duolingo learning languages and it helps, even tho i am still not fluent in any of them.

Onikpaarqolaas
December 23, 2016

I submitted an application to Duolingo today (12/23/16) at 12:55AM.  I will post updates to what I receive back from them as they come.  I don't think we have great chances, though.  As it stands, Dovahzul will need a more filled-out vocabulary in order to be implemented among larger, more expansive languages.  I fear that if we do not begin development of a more concrete Legacy system, we will not be able to make Dovahzul the con-lang I'd love to see it become.

by Onikpaarqolaas
December 23, 2016

I submitted an application to Duolingo today (12/23/16) at 12:55AM.  I will post updates to what I receive back from them as they come.  I don't think we have great chances, though.  As it stands, Dovahzul will need a more filled-out vocabulary in order to be implemented among larger, more expansive languages.  I fear that if we do not begin development of a more concrete Legacy system, we will not be able to make Dovahzul the con-lang I'd love to see it become.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.