Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Learning Dovahzul

HalfDecent
March 28, 2016

Hey guys! I'm new to these forums, and I'm loving them so far. I'm really trying to learn the language, and I was wondering if there are any tips, help, ideas, info, or anything that could help. Sorry if there are 100 other threads like this, I didnt really have the time to sift, amongst work and school.

by HalfDecent
March 28, 2016

Hey guys! I'm new to these forums, and I'm loving them so far. I'm really trying to learn the language, and I was wondering if there are any tips, help, ideas, info, or anything that could help. Sorry if there are 100 other threads like this, I didnt really have the time to sift, amongst work and school.

Orkar Isber
March 29, 2016

Well if you look at the main site "learn" you have a memrise course, (actually there are more than one if you search memrise for dovahzul) i am working on a dovahzul course for duolingo and a youtube channel teaching dovahzul (and other things - Orkar Isber is the channel name) 

You can try and participate in dovahzul threads here on the forums and i guess thats pretty decent for a start. Try reading textwalls, translate english sentences into dovahzul and vice versa for audio you sadly have to do with what Skyrim offers =( 

by Orkar Isber
March 29, 2016

Well if you look at the main site "learn" you have a memrise course, (actually there are more than one if you search memrise for dovahzul) i am working on a dovahzul course for duolingo and a youtube channel teaching dovahzul (and other things - Orkar Isber is the channel name) 

You can try and participate in dovahzul threads here on the forums and i guess thats pretty decent for a start. Try reading textwalls, translate english sentences into dovahzul and vice versa for audio you sadly have to do with what Skyrim offers =( 

Kirrith Kerman
March 29, 2016
Orkar Isber

I Am also trying to learn, I've subscribed to your channel and I'm expecting great things! No pressure ;)

by Kirrith Kerman
March 29, 2016
Orkar Isber

I Am also trying to learn, I've subscribed to your channel and I'm expecting great things! No pressure ;)

Orkar Isber
March 30, 2016
Kirrith Kerman

Thanks ^^ My channel will contain a dovahzul course teaching grammar and vocabulary and try to help you speaking from the first lesson by teaching simple sentences early on. Later i will do an old norse course in the same style.

And ofc other videos on vikings will continue just a bit busy right now IRL ^^

by Orkar Isber
March 30, 2016
Kirrith Kerman

Thanks ^^ My channel will contain a dovahzul course teaching grammar and vocabulary and try to help you speaking from the first lesson by teaching simple sentences early on. Later i will do an old norse course in the same style.

And ofc other videos on vikings will continue just a bit busy right now IRL ^^

HalfDecent
March 30, 2016
Orkar Isber

Thanks!! I'm using the memrise app on my mobile device when I can, and it is really helping! I also look forward too your videos, I hope they help with pronunciation more than anything.

by HalfDecent
March 30, 2016
Orkar Isber

Thanks!! I'm using the memrise app on my mobile device when I can, and it is really helping! I also look forward too your videos, I hope they help with pronunciation more than anything.

Orkar Isber
March 30, 2016
HalfDecent

Well the pronounciation is a very difficult thing in Dovahzul. There is no unified pronounciation, indeed different voice actors pronounce dovahzul quite differently in special in different language versions of the game so that there is no generalised or official pronounciation. The site here tries to get a standardises pronoucniation working but basicly...you can pronounce it as you like. Its not too unrealistic either as any language has different pronounciations varying with different dialects. It is a bit strange for dragons to have a dialect lorewise but not impossible and nords surely would pronounce it differently anyway. My pronounciation will be mainly german as german is one of the 3 languages Dovahzul is based on and i am most familiar with it also i think it sounds cool and is not that far off from the english ingame pronounciation of Parthurnax and Alduin

by Orkar Isber
March 30, 2016
HalfDecent

Well the pronounciation is a very difficult thing in Dovahzul. There is no unified pronounciation, indeed different voice actors pronounce dovahzul quite differently in special in different language versions of the game so that there is no generalised or official pronounciation. The site here tries to get a standardises pronoucniation working but basicly...you can pronounce it as you like. Its not too unrealistic either as any language has different pronounciations varying with different dialects. It is a bit strange for dragons to have a dialect lorewise but not impossible and nords surely would pronounce it differently anyway. My pronounciation will be mainly german as german is one of the 3 languages Dovahzul is based on and i am most familiar with it also i think it sounds cool and is not that far off from the english ingame pronounciation of Parthurnax and Alduin

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.