Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

(Actual) I seriously need translation help.

Hawkheart
May 9, 2016

Sorry for the other two posts with a similar title posted by me today, browser had a seizure and posted two posts of uncompleted material. How fun. So, I need help translating three words. I have had no time to actually study the language, sadly, for reasons of time and attention span. I just can't focus on it long enough to understand it. So I have to turn to the people for help.

I won't be able to use the requested information for a while, sadly, for a few reasons I'll explain later. So, the words I desperately hope somebody will help me out with are listed below. (And I DID go to the translator first, but it wasn't much help for the context I need, except for one word, but I'll still post it here for clarity and context's sake.) 

Poison or venom, something along those lines. 

Survive/survival, in the context of surviving through something severe, say in the context of surviving and animal attack or a disease (Or the aforementioned poison/venom).

Resistance, in the context of being able to resist something that is typically lethal like, once again, the aforementioned poison/venom.

Now, the context of these words. A few months ago, I found out that people that deal with certain venomous creatures, such as snakes, sometimes inject/tattoo snake venom in non-lethal amounts to build up some level of resistance. As you've probably guessed, I'm going for a tattoo of the three words I figured would best relate to building up a resistance to snake venom (Or at least, one kind of it, as there are apparently two) that would increase your chance of surviving a bite from a snake. Also, who doesn't want to be able to say they have a snake venom tattoo?

I know it would take quite a while to complete the tattoo, for reasons of both venom quantity and possible size, and thus, irritation and such. The reason it'd take a while for me to even begin the tattoo is, well, I have to find a tattoo artist capable of working with snake venom. They obviously exist, I just have to find one. And travel to wherever they are. But, as a rather big Skyrim fan, I figured that if I get a tattoo involving snake venom to build up a gradual resistance to said venom, why not have something I actually enjoy as the tattoo itself? 

So, I'm terribly sorry for the long post, but I figured that if I'm asking for a favour from strangers, said strangers at least deserve the context and such related to the favour. And yes, I did make an account purely to ask for help. I think that's everything I wanted to mention. Also, if anybody wants to dissuade me from eventually getting a snake venom tattoo, don't waste your time. It's my life-long mistake and possible death-by-venom to choose.

by Hawkheart
May 9, 2016

Sorry for the other two posts with a similar title posted by me today, browser had a seizure and posted two posts of uncompleted material. How fun. So, I need help translating three words. I have had no time to actually study the language, sadly, for reasons of time and attention span. I just can't focus on it long enough to understand it. So I have to turn to the people for help.

I won't be able to use the requested information for a while, sadly, for a few reasons I'll explain later. So, the words I desperately hope somebody will help me out with are listed below. (And I DID go to the translator first, but it wasn't much help for the context I need, except for one word, but I'll still post it here for clarity and context's sake.) 

Poison or venom, something along those lines. 

Survive/survival, in the context of surviving through something severe, say in the context of surviving and animal attack or a disease (Or the aforementioned poison/venom).

Resistance, in the context of being able to resist something that is typically lethal like, once again, the aforementioned poison/venom.

Now, the context of these words. A few months ago, I found out that people that deal with certain venomous creatures, such as snakes, sometimes inject/tattoo snake venom in non-lethal amounts to build up some level of resistance. As you've probably guessed, I'm going for a tattoo of the three words I figured would best relate to building up a resistance to snake venom (Or at least, one kind of it, as there are apparently two) that would increase your chance of surviving a bite from a snake. Also, who doesn't want to be able to say they have a snake venom tattoo?

I know it would take quite a while to complete the tattoo, for reasons of both venom quantity and possible size, and thus, irritation and such. The reason it'd take a while for me to even begin the tattoo is, well, I have to find a tattoo artist capable of working with snake venom. They obviously exist, I just have to find one. And travel to wherever they are. But, as a rather big Skyrim fan, I figured that if I get a tattoo involving snake venom to build up a gradual resistance to said venom, why not have something I actually enjoy as the tattoo itself? 

So, I'm terribly sorry for the long post, but I figured that if I'm asking for a favour from strangers, said strangers at least deserve the context and such related to the favour. And yes, I did make an account purely to ask for help. I think that's everything I wanted to mention. Also, if anybody wants to dissuade me from eventually getting a snake venom tattoo, don't waste your time. It's my life-long mistake and possible death-by-venom to choose.

Frinmulaar
May 9, 2016

Hello, Hawkheart, and thanks for the background details.

'Poison': the closest equivalent is viidost. By our current understanding, it connotates a swallowed substance, but this is a shaky conjecture and there would be no other choice anyway.

'Survive': possibly lahney. This word is a more general 'live'. Use it if you feel 'remain alive' is a reasonable stretch. Otherwise, there is kron: 'win, conquer, emerge victorious' - a word associated with battle.

'Resist': qahnaar. Also glossed as 'vanquish', mostly used metaphorically of resisting a thought or an urge. Another choice would be spaan, literally 'a shield', but also a very concrete verb for 'protect' or 'defend'.

by Frinmulaar
May 9, 2016

Hello, Hawkheart, and thanks for the background details.

'Poison': the closest equivalent is viidost. By our current understanding, it connotates a swallowed substance, but this is a shaky conjecture and there would be no other choice anyway.

'Survive': possibly lahney. This word is a more general 'live'. Use it if you feel 'remain alive' is a reasonable stretch. Otherwise, there is kron: 'win, conquer, emerge victorious' - a word associated with battle.

'Resist': qahnaar. Also glossed as 'vanquish', mostly used metaphorically of resisting a thought or an urge. Another choice would be spaan, literally 'a shield', but also a very concrete verb for 'protect' or 'defend'.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.