Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

word for Love

Timballsto
June 14, 2016

Drem yol lok, everyone! I'm looking for a word for love, can anyone help me?

by Timballsto
June 14, 2016

Drem yol lok, everyone! I'm looking for a word for love, can anyone help me?

Frinmulaar
June 14, 2016
The dragon language is definitely a bit lacking on the emotional side from a human perspective. The closest single word in existence is Smoliin, usually glossed as 'passion'.

But as with any language, context is key. Below I've translated some usages of the English 'love'. These are my best suggestions and stretch words beyond what is seen in Skyrim.

"He loves to fight" > "Krif brit wah rok", lit. fighting is pleasing to him.

"I'd love some food right now" > "Zu'u bahlok kip nu", lit. I crave food now.

"Any knight must love his kingdom" > "Enook kendov fent frin fah junaarii", lit. each warrior shall be eager for (the sake of) his kingdom.

The romantic aspect of 'love' might ultimately be the hardest to convey. I currently have no satisfying answer to that.
by Frinmulaar
June 14, 2016
The dragon language is definitely a bit lacking on the emotional side from a human perspective. The closest single word in existence is Smoliin, usually glossed as 'passion'.

But as with any language, context is key. Below I've translated some usages of the English 'love'. These are my best suggestions and stretch words beyond what is seen in Skyrim.

"He loves to fight" > "Krif brit wah rok", lit. fighting is pleasing to him.

"I'd love some food right now" > "Zu'u bahlok kip nu", lit. I crave food now.

"Any knight must love his kingdom" > "Enook kendov fent frin fah junaarii", lit. each warrior shall be eager for (the sake of) his kingdom.

The romantic aspect of 'love' might ultimately be the hardest to convey. I currently have no satisfying answer to that.

Timballsto
June 15, 2016
Frinmulaar
The dragon language is definitely a bit lacking on the emotional side from a human perspective. The closest single word in existence is Smoliin, usually glossed as 'passion'. But as with any language, context is key. Below I've translated some usages of the English 'love'. These are my best suggestions and stretch words beyond what is seen in Skyrim. "He loves to fight" > "Krif brit wah rok", lit. fighting is pleasing to him. "I'd love some food right now" > "Zu'u bahlok kip nu", lit. I crave food now. "Any knight must love his kingdom" > "Enook kendov fent frin fah junaarii", lit. each warrior shall be eager for (the sake of) his kingdom. The romantic aspect of 'love' might ultimately be the hardest to convey. I currently have no satisfying answer to that.

I guess it all kind of depends on the way you want to word it. thanks for the insight

by Timballsto
June 15, 2016
Frinmulaar
The dragon language is definitely a bit lacking on the emotional side from a human perspective. The closest single word in existence is Smoliin, usually glossed as 'passion'. But as with any language, context is key. Below I've translated some usages of the English 'love'. These are my best suggestions and stretch words beyond what is seen in Skyrim. "He loves to fight" > "Krif brit wah rok", lit. fighting is pleasing to him. "I'd love some food right now" > "Zu'u bahlok kip nu", lit. I crave food now. "Any knight must love his kingdom" > "Enook kendov fent frin fah junaarii", lit. each warrior shall be eager for (the sake of) his kingdom. The romantic aspect of 'love' might ultimately be the hardest to convey. I currently have no satisfying answer to that.

I guess it all kind of depends on the way you want to word it. thanks for the insight

Hahdremro
June 20, 2016

The noncanon Legacy word for romantic love is lokaal, which, in my opinion, seems reasonable enough to keep in the new noncanon dictionary. This is a very important word for a bard like myself to know, so I'd like to put my vote towards keeping this word from the Legacy dictionary.

by Hahdremro
June 20, 2016

The noncanon Legacy word for romantic love is lokaal, which, in my opinion, seems reasonable enough to keep in the new noncanon dictionary. This is a very important word for a bard like myself to know, so I'd like to put my vote towards keeping this word from the Legacy dictionary.

Timballsto
June 20, 2016

thanks for your thoughts i think that sounds like it would work

by Timballsto
June 20, 2016

thanks for your thoughts i think that sounds like it would work

BuggyDragon
September 19, 2016

Well, that's handy to have, since I was thinking of writing a poem for my dragonkin boyfriend. :3

by BuggyDragon
September 19, 2016

Well, that's handy to have, since I was thinking of writing a poem for my dragonkin boyfriend. :3

Toorlokviing
November 5, 2016
BuggyDragon

just like instead of using the non cannon soul mate, i use a more dragonized term for it "ah liin zii" which translates to hunter mate spirit or spirit hunter mate. i noticed that liin has been moved to the legacy page...kind of a shame though...i loved that word.

by Toorlokviing
November 5, 2016
BuggyDragon

just like instead of using the non cannon soul mate, i use a more dragonized term for it "ah liin zii" which translates to hunter mate spirit or spirit hunter mate. i noticed that liin has been moved to the legacy page...kind of a shame though...i loved that word.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.