Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Absurdly Long Words

1  2 > >>  

Vulomjotraan
June 21, 2016

So a few months ago I got super bored. When I am bored, I like to examine long words in the English language, pick apart all the pieces. This particular time around, however, I happened to have this website up on a separate tab...

And that's the story of how I'm pretty sure I translated "antidisestablishmentarianism" into Dovahzul. I got "mindolwahvorel", "thought against reverse rule".

You guys have any long words you want to challenge the rest of us into translating?

by Vulomjotraan
June 21, 2016

So a few months ago I got super bored. When I am bored, I like to examine long words in the English language, pick apart all the pieces. This particular time around, however, I happened to have this website up on a separate tab...

And that's the story of how I'm pretty sure I translated "antidisestablishmentarianism" into Dovahzul. I got "mindolwahvorel", "thought against reverse rule".

You guys have any long words you want to challenge the rest of us into translating?

Pahvomedrah
June 21, 2016

floccinaucinihilipilification

by Pahvomedrah
June 21, 2016

floccinaucinihilipilification

Vulomjotraan
June 21, 2016

"Floccinaucinihilipilification" is the habit or action of estimating something as worthless. I have translated it as "Whiterun Guards". Alternate spellings are "Troll Skulls", "Nazeem", and "Iron Arrows".

pogaan many / dreh action / ro -s /  se of / mindok know/  vo not / balaan worthy

Pogaandrehrosemindokvobalaan. Many actions of knowing not worthy

... That's a mouthful.

by Vulomjotraan
June 21, 2016

"Floccinaucinihilipilification" is the habit or action of estimating something as worthless. I have translated it as "Whiterun Guards". Alternate spellings are "Troll Skulls", "Nazeem", and "Iron Arrows".

pogaan many / dreh action / ro -s /  se of / mindok know/  vo not / balaan worthy

Pogaandrehrosemindokvobalaan. Many actions of knowing not worthy

... That's a mouthful.

Frinmulaar
June 22, 2016

A small correction, if I may? PogaanDREHHEsemindokvobalaan. -ro indicates a genitive, -'s in English, instead of a plural, -s. For a plural, repeat the final consonant of a noun, shorten the last vowel if long, and add -e.

Also, try "electroencephalography".

by Frinmulaar
June 22, 2016

A small correction, if I may? PogaanDREHHEsemindokvobalaan. -ro indicates a genitive, -'s in English, instead of a plural, -s. For a plural, repeat the final consonant of a noun, shorten the last vowel if long, and add -e.

Also, try "electroencephalography".

Vulomjotraan
June 22, 2016

Thank you, Frinmulaar! This is mostly just practice for me, and practice makes permanent. I appreciate the catch!

Electroencephalography is the measurement of electrical activity in different parts of the brain and the recording of such activity as a visual trace.

dwiirok carving / se of / qo lightening / se of / mindok mind

That gives me Dwiirokseqosemindok, or carving of the lightening of the mind. This one is a lot cleaner!

by Vulomjotraan
June 22, 2016

Thank you, Frinmulaar! This is mostly just practice for me, and practice makes permanent. I appreciate the catch!

Electroencephalography is the measurement of electrical activity in different parts of the brain and the recording of such activity as a visual trace.

dwiirok carving / se of / qo lightening / se of / mindok mind

That gives me Dwiirokseqosemindok, or carving of the lightening of the mind. This one is a lot cleaner!

Pahvomedrah
June 23, 2016

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

I bet this one isn't that scary... hehe

by Pahvomedrah
June 23, 2016

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

I bet this one isn't that scary... hehe

Vulomjotraan
June 23, 2016

Ha! Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.

Faas fear / se of / lingrah long / rot word

Faasselingrahrotte. Fear of long words! Nice and short, all things considered

by Vulomjotraan
June 23, 2016

Ha! Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.

Faas fear / se of / lingrah long / rot word

Faasselingrahrotte. Fear of long words! Nice and short, all things considered

Rahdunmal
June 25, 2016

Surprised no one's suggested pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. A lung disease casue by volcanic ash. Best I've got is:

su'um breath / krasnovaar disease / se of / rinik very / mal little / yol fire / strunmah mountain / golzze stones

Sumkrasnovaarserinikmayolstrunmahgolzze? Breath disease of very small volcano stones.

I do think honorificabilitudinitatibus would also be fun.

by Rahdunmal
June 25, 2016

Surprised no one's suggested pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. A lung disease casue by volcanic ash. Best I've got is:

su'um breath / krasnovaar disease / se of / rinik very / mal little / yol fire / strunmah mountain / golzze stones

Sumkrasnovaarserinikmayolstrunmahgolzze? Breath disease of very small volcano stones.

I do think honorificabilitudinitatibus would also be fun.

Vulomjotraan
June 26, 2016

Honorificabilitudinitatibus is the dative and ablative plural of the medieval Latin word honorificabilitudinitas, which can be translated as "the state of being able to achieve honours". Apparently it's in Shakespeare, and quite frankly I pity whoever had that as a line.

I'm just going to do honorificabilitudinitas since there's less... extra grammar stuff attached to it. While there ain't be nothin' wrong of me grammars, I don't want to deal with all that.

Suleyk power / se of / siiv gain / zin honor

Switch those last two words around because I dont like vs and zs next to each other...

Suleyksezinsiiv. Power of honor gain

by Vulomjotraan
June 26, 2016

Honorificabilitudinitatibus is the dative and ablative plural of the medieval Latin word honorificabilitudinitas, which can be translated as "the state of being able to achieve honours". Apparently it's in Shakespeare, and quite frankly I pity whoever had that as a line.

I'm just going to do honorificabilitudinitas since there's less... extra grammar stuff attached to it. While there ain't be nothin' wrong of me grammars, I don't want to deal with all that.

Suleyk power / se of / siiv gain / zin honor

Switch those last two words around because I dont like vs and zs next to each other...

Suleyksezinsiiv. Power of honor gain

Ruvgein
August 10, 2016

Astraphobia and Lilapsophobia.

by Ruvgein
August 10, 2016

Astraphobia and Lilapsophobia.

Robyn Hood
September 12, 2016

Issue with words that are long without affixes (so no phobias): they can normally be shortened by breaking it up into smaller words. 

by Robyn Hood
September 12, 2016

Issue with words that are long without affixes (so no phobias): they can normally be shortened by breaking it up into smaller words. 

Ruvgein
September 13, 2016
Robyn Hood

Oh sorry.

Ambidextrous?

by Ruvgein
September 13, 2016
Robyn Hood

Oh sorry.

Ambidextrous?

Frinmulaar
September 13, 2016
Ruvgein

Ambidextrous?

Neyhaaldun.

by Frinmulaar
September 13, 2016
Ruvgein

Ambidextrous?

Neyhaaldun.

BuggyDragon
September 19, 2016

Sesquipedalianism! :D

by BuggyDragon
September 19, 2016

Sesquipedalianism! :D

Dzydzilelya
September 25, 2016

Got one for you folks. The full name of the protein Titin. Longest word of the english language, with 180 000+ characters. I tried copy/pasting it here, but my browser crashed, so I'll just link the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Challisrussia/Titin_full_name

by Dzydzilelya
September 25, 2016

Got one for you folks. The full name of the protein Titin. Longest word of the english language, with 180 000+ characters. I tried copy/pasting it here, but my browser crashed, so I'll just link the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Challisrussia/Titin_full_name

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.