Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Simple words such as table or chair?

Codover
July 11, 2016

I have been recently introduced to into the langauge and know a few days worth of dovahzul. It seemed fun at first before I realized words such as socks or mouse didn't seem to come up on the translater. Are there universal words used instead or do they simply not exsist?

by Codover
July 11, 2016

I have been recently introduced to into the langauge and know a few days worth of dovahzul. It seemed fun at first before I realized words such as socks or mouse didn't seem to come up on the translater. Are there universal words used instead or do they simply not exsist?

Frinmulaar
July 12, 2016

You are referring to what I like to call the Curse of Canon. The only official, globally accepted source for the dragon language is Skyrim with all the literature surrounding it. Now, there are three factors in play:

1) Skyrim is a viking-inspired dragonslaying RPG rather than say a city simulator.

2) Bethesda had limited time and manpower to get the game made.

3) They could not foresee people seeking to learn the language.

The result is a painfully small vocabulary built around war and legend. But if you are willing to compromise on the "globally accepted" part, take a peek at the Legacy Dictionary.

by Frinmulaar
July 12, 2016

You are referring to what I like to call the Curse of Canon. The only official, globally accepted source for the dragon language is Skyrim with all the literature surrounding it. Now, there are three factors in play:

1) Skyrim is a viking-inspired dragonslaying RPG rather than say a city simulator.

2) Bethesda had limited time and manpower to get the game made.

3) They could not foresee people seeking to learn the language.

The result is a painfully small vocabulary built around war and legend. But if you are willing to compromise on the "globally accepted" part, take a peek at the Legacy Dictionary.

Codover
July 13, 2016
@Frinmulaar
The Curse of Canon is a very good name for it. Thank you for such a well thought answer.
by Codover
July 13, 2016
@Frinmulaar

The Curse of Canon is a very good name for it. Thank you for such a well thought answer.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.