Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Missing Words!

BuggyDragon
September 18, 2016

For example, the words "hoard:, "gem", and "Jewel" have no Dovazhul translation. Pretty weird for a draconic language, right? O.o

by BuggyDragon
September 18, 2016

For example, the words "hoard:, "gem", and "Jewel" have no Dovazhul translation. Pretty weird for a draconic language, right? O.o

Frinmulaar
September 18, 2016

Ah, the mighty Curse of Canon. What little we know of Dovahzul is such an oddly shaped lump that it must by all accounts be a small slice of the whole language. Unfortunately, Bethesda never saw it fit to reveal more.

Here are some deficits of the canon vocabulary for your enjoyment:

- brom for north and jer for east, but no known terms for west or south.

- sun known; moon not.

- bo as a catch-all for any movement, 'walk' and 'crawl' are absent as are any finer distinctions for flight such as 'dive' or 'glide'.

- of all the question pronouns shared by every European language, only 'who' and 'when' are known. Those two are conjunctions too, as in English; kolos 'where' is only a conjunction. 'What', 'why', and 'how' are absent in canon.

- cover terms like 'water', 'weather', 'town', 'spouse', 'limb' are unknown, even though 'sea' and 'river'; 'storm' and 'wind'; 'Whiterun' and 'Rorikstead'; 'husband' and 'wife'; 'hand' and 'wing' are common.

- technological mismatches: 'sword' is known, unlike 'club'. 'Arrow' is known, unlike 'bow'!

- further missing core vocabulary: body parts (such as leg, tail, back); verbs (buy, sell, land, read, drink);  universal concepts (person, name).

Between all of this, I consider a bare minimum of non-canon vocabulary justified in everyday conversation. In literary works, striving for fully canon usages can be a creative aid.

by Frinmulaar
September 18, 2016

Ah, the mighty Curse of Canon. What little we know of Dovahzul is such an oddly shaped lump that it must by all accounts be a small slice of the whole language. Unfortunately, Bethesda never saw it fit to reveal more.

Here are some deficits of the canon vocabulary for your enjoyment:

- brom for north and jer for east, but no known terms for west or south.

- sun known; moon not.

- bo as a catch-all for any movement, 'walk' and 'crawl' are absent as are any finer distinctions for flight such as 'dive' or 'glide'.

- of all the question pronouns shared by every European language, only 'who' and 'when' are known. Those two are conjunctions too, as in English; kolos 'where' is only a conjunction. 'What', 'why', and 'how' are absent in canon.

- cover terms like 'water', 'weather', 'town', 'spouse', 'limb' are unknown, even though 'sea' and 'river'; 'storm' and 'wind'; 'Whiterun' and 'Rorikstead'; 'husband' and 'wife'; 'hand' and 'wing' are common.

- technological mismatches: 'sword' is known, unlike 'club'. 'Arrow' is known, unlike 'bow'!

- further missing core vocabulary: body parts (such as leg, tail, back); verbs (buy, sell, land, read, drink);  universal concepts (person, name).

Between all of this, I consider a bare minimum of non-canon vocabulary justified in everyday conversation. In literary works, striving for fully canon usages can be a creative aid.

DovahKiinZaan
September 18, 2016

Yeah, most words don't have an equivalent, and the support for word creation has stopped. 

by DovahKiinZaan
September 18, 2016

Yeah, most words don't have an equivalent, and the support for word creation has stopped. 

Ruvgein
September 26, 2016

See the links for the reasons:

Link 1

Link 2

by Ruvgein
September 26, 2016

See the links for the reasons:

Link 1

Link 2

Toorlokviing
November 5, 2016

i do hope we can get some support eventually for words that make sense for dragons like slumber instead of sleep. the word rest seems too much like death instead of actual sleeping.

by Toorlokviing
November 5, 2016

i do hope we can get some support eventually for words that make sense for dragons like slumber instead of sleep. the word rest seems too much like death instead of actual sleeping.

[deleted]
November 13, 2016
Dovahzul also seems to lack positive emotions such as 'happy' or 'satisfied'
by [deleted]
November 13, 2016
Dovahzul also seems to lack positive emotions such as 'happy' or 'satisfied'

Dovahskar
November 16, 2016

Although I have notices a surprising amount of equestrian terminology, I would still like to see translations for words like canter, stirrup, halter, poll, whither and gelding.

by Dovahskar
November 16, 2016

Although I have notices a surprising amount of equestrian terminology, I would still like to see translations for words like canter, stirrup, halter, poll, whither and gelding.

Dinokyolnah
November 19, 2016
Dovahskar

you know.... i never noticed that.... but you have a point... there are many a horses in skyrim. not to mention the whole of tamriel... I wish there were a system to have a horse follow you every where.. like feed it an apple or so evevrynow and then and it will follow you untill the next time to feed.

by Dinokyolnah
November 19, 2016
Dovahskar

you know.... i never noticed that.... but you have a point... there are many a horses in skyrim. not to mention the whole of tamriel... I wish there were a system to have a horse follow you every where.. like feed it an apple or so evevrynow and then and it will follow you untill the next time to feed.

Crimson13
December 12, 2016

Furnace doesn't have a translation, considering the technology of the world it seems like it would come up often enough; though it is similar to forge so I suppose they could be interchangable. Some material related to crafting also doesn't come up; clay and iron in my case what I tried. Clay makes some sense ,because what would a dragon use it for, but iron seems like would if only for what people are going to attack or defend themselves with it.

by Crimson13
December 12, 2016

Furnace doesn't have a translation, considering the technology of the world it seems like it would come up often enough; though it is similar to forge so I suppose they could be interchangable. Some material related to crafting also doesn't come up; clay and iron in my case what I tried. Clay makes some sense ,because what would a dragon use it for, but iron seems like would if only for what people are going to attack or defend themselves with it.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.