Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

How to bring back RPGing? It's back!

1  2 > >>  

Ruvgein
September 28, 2016

Paarthurnax is bringing back RPGing!  Please click here or scroll down to his post for what this forum is now for!

old post:

This thread is for some head-scratching and talk about how to bring roleplays back to the Thu'um forums.  It's not for saying how sad you were when it was gone. And I know is wasn't good at times but if we can come up with something that could work, and make it good, we can then show it to Paathurnax. And maybe get RPs back!  So do you have an idea?

by Ruvgein
September 28, 2016

Paarthurnax is bringing back RPGing!  Please click here or scroll down to his post for what this forum is now for!

old post:

This thread is for some head-scratching and talk about how to bring roleplays back to the Thu'um forums.  It's not for saying how sad you were when it was gone. And I know is wasn't good at times but if we can come up with something that could work, and make it good, we can then show it to Paathurnax. And maybe get RPs back!  So do you have an idea?

Alvulnax
September 28, 2016
My idea would be to just open a new thread for that. :p
by Alvulnax
September 28, 2016
My idea would be to just open a new thread for that. :p

Dzydzilelya
September 28, 2016

Dovahzul Only or nothing. At this point, if we even permit the slightest English writing it goes to shit.

by Dzydzilelya
September 28, 2016

Dovahzul Only or nothing. At this point, if we even permit the slightest English writing it goes to shit.

Liis
Administrator
September 28, 2016
I have to agree with Apollyon. The main aim of the Roleplay & Conversation Forum was to promote and aid the learning of Dovahzul. Soon, English was the only language used in the Forum and massed a large community of simple D&D tabletop-style roleplays completely uninterested in Dovahzul which repelled seeking learners.
by Liis
September 28, 2016
I have to agree with Apollyon. The main aim of the Roleplay & Conversation Forum was to promote and aid the learning of Dovahzul. Soon, English was the only language used in the Forum and massed a large community of simple D&D tabletop-style roleplays completely uninterested in Dovahzul which repelled seeking learners.

Ruvgein
September 28, 2016

Hmm, I do like that. But what if there were levels?

Beginner, intermediate, experienced.

They could have varying amounts of Dovahzul so everyone could find one that works for their knowledge of the language.

by Ruvgein
September 28, 2016

Hmm, I do like that. But what if there were levels?

Beginner, intermediate, experienced.

They could have varying amounts of Dovahzul so everyone could find one that works for their knowledge of the language.

Liis
Administrator
September 28, 2016
@Ruvgein,

That might only really be plausible if there was first a wide assortment of learners - of which we haven't had in a long time.
by Liis
September 28, 2016
@Ruvgein,

That might only really be plausible if there was first a wide assortment of learners - of which we haven't had in a long time.

Necromas
September 30, 2016

The RPing was never my thing here, but I can see why it devolved into the trash it did. A DnD thing would be fun though. 

by Necromas
September 30, 2016

The RPing was never my thing here, but I can see why it devolved into the trash it did. A DnD thing would be fun though. 

[deleted]
January 11, 2017

This would be amazing to do, both fun and would help keep the site alive. I would gladly join in, and I agree: Dovahzul or nothing. It'll help people learn, give us some entertainment, and keep away people who arent interested in Dovahzul. Besides, I can already imagine the poetic gymnastics required to write some words, lol.

by [deleted]
January 11, 2017

This would be amazing to do, both fun and would help keep the site alive. I would gladly join in, and I agree: Dovahzul or nothing. It'll help people learn, give us some entertainment, and keep away people who arent interested in Dovahzul. Besides, I can already imagine the poetic gymnastics required to write some words, lol.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 25, 2017

Let's get this party started. (No party dragons involved.)

I usually keep things I'm working on under wraps, but for this I'd rather get all of your input and let you know where progress is at. I'll use this thread to provide updates and ask for feedback.

Let's talk about features. The more existing systems we can use, the better. For example, would RP's as subforums work better than RP's as threads? Examples of existing subforums include the Sikaav subforum on Site Discussion, and the language subforums on International Translation Discussion. In this setup, there'd be an overarching Roleplay Forum that would contain posts for the rules and guidelines, and then each individual RP would be a separate subforum. GM's could then pin posts on their subforum like setting or story summaries.

Next, I'm thinking there'd be a new Character Sheet section, where you can make and edit characters. These character sheets would be broad enough to apply to any RP, and would include sections like:

• Name
  • Race
  • Appearance
  • Personality
  • Background
  • Skills/Strengths
  • Flaws/Weaknesses
  • Goals

Then, there'd be a code you can paste into your post to automatically display your character sheet, something like:

{{character 1234}}

Any other features you would like to see? Dice rolling? Turn order? Let me know.

by paarthurnax
January 25, 2017

Let's get this party started. (No party dragons involved.)

I usually keep things I'm working on under wraps, but for this I'd rather get all of your input and let you know where progress is at. I'll use this thread to provide updates and ask for feedback.

Let's talk about features. The more existing systems we can use, the better. For example, would RP's as subforums work better than RP's as threads? Examples of existing subforums include the Sikaav subforum on Site Discussion, and the language subforums on International Translation Discussion. In this setup, there'd be an overarching Roleplay Forum that would contain posts for the rules and guidelines, and then each individual RP would be a separate subforum. GM's could then pin posts on their subforum like setting or story summaries.

Next, I'm thinking there'd be a new Character Sheet section, where you can make and edit characters. These character sheets would be broad enough to apply to any RP, and would include sections like:

• Name
  • Race
  • Appearance
  • Personality
  • Background
  • Skills/Strengths
  • Flaws/Weaknesses
  • Goals

Then, there'd be a code you can paste into your post to automatically display your character sheet, something like:

{{character 1234}}

Any other features you would like to see? Dice rolling? Turn order? Let me know.

Liis
Administrator
January 25, 2017
Dice rolling would definitely be great. I think Turn order should be optional in some way.
I really like the idea of storing and pasting your characters, and as for the Forum ordeal, I think the subforum system you described would work wonders with organisation and I'm all for it.

The only features I can think of that I'd like to see are ones that the HTML of the Fora already provide. As long as everything is Dovahzul-based in some right, then we could have yet another learning tool as it was always meant to be.
by Liis
January 25, 2017
Dice rolling would definitely be great. I think Turn order should be optional in some way.

I really like the idea of storing and pasting your characters, and as for the Forum ordeal, I think the subforum system you described would work wonders with organisation and I'm all for it.

The only features I can think of that I'd like to see are ones that the HTML of the Fora already provide. As long as everything is Dovahzul-based in some right, then we could have yet another learning tool as it was always meant to be.

Ruvgein
January 25, 2017

First off, I'd like to say I'm glad this thread has new life and purpose. I like everything that's been said so far, and would like to add a few ideas or bring up a couple things to be sure:

• Editable character sheets. So if your character changes and whatnot.
  • character sheets can have a picture. Either game screenshots or artwork, but people like showing who the person is.
  • "Private" games. So someone can't just spam a game they aren't in.
  • different styles be allowed. So not all of them have to exactly be D&D with shouts and CHIM.

I would also say, though I don't know how it would work, that a GM gets moderating power over their games. So everything can go smoothly.

by Ruvgein
January 25, 2017

First off, I'd like to say I'm glad this thread has new life and purpose. I like everything that's been said so far, and would like to add a few ideas or bring up a couple things to be sure:

• Editable character sheets. So if your character changes and whatnot.
  • character sheets can have a picture. Either game screenshots or artwork, but people like showing who the person is.
  • "Private" games. So someone can't just spam a game they aren't in.
  • different styles be allowed. So not all of them have to exactly be D&D with shouts and CHIM.

I would also say, though I don't know how it would work, that a GM gets moderating power over their games. So everything can go smoothly.

Zinrahzul
January 25, 2017

I'm a newcomer to RP'ing, but RP'ing for the sake of learning Dovahzul is definitely something I'm up to.  The only thing I can contribute right now is my support for this.

by Zinrahzul
January 25, 2017

I'm a newcomer to RP'ing, but RP'ing for the sake of learning Dovahzul is definitely something I'm up to.  The only thing I can contribute right now is my support for this.

Dzydzilelya
January 26, 2017
That's a good list of new additions that would definitely improve the quality of life.

Let's not forget the levels of dovahzul presence that could be in.

"SD" for RPs containing Dovahzul in a partial manner decided amongst the players.

"DO" for Dovahzul only roleplays.

"RD" for Runic Dovahzul which is used throughout the entire RP.

I like the character sheets idea but I think they could be optional since I feel like it ruins the fun of exposing backstory within the RPs if you can just go read the sheet. They should be forwarded to the GM for approval. Of course I'm a huge fan of the GM system since it would give a certain level of moderation but they should only be able to use their moderating powers over the RPs that they run.

Maybe create a "help" forums where experienced players and GMs could give tips to beginners and new GMs. Whether it is for player conflicts or help create plots or tangible NPCs.
by Dzydzilelya
January 26, 2017
That's a good list of new additions that would definitely improve the quality of life.

Let's not forget the levels of dovahzul presence that could be in.

"SD" for RPs containing Dovahzul in a partial manner decided amongst the players.

"DO" for Dovahzul only roleplays.

"RD" for Runic Dovahzul which is used throughout the entire RP.

I like the character sheets idea but I think they could be optional since I feel like it ruins the fun of exposing backstory within the RPs if you can just go read the sheet. They should be forwarded to the GM for approval. Of course I'm a huge fan of the GM system since it would give a certain level of moderation but they should only be able to use their moderating powers over the RPs that they run.

Maybe create a "help" forums where experienced players and GMs could give tips to beginners and new GMs. Whether it is for player conflicts or help create plots or tangible NPCs.

Kronvullok
March 2, 2017
I'd like to add an idea, if I may.

What about shoutboxes for OOC chat and more immediate moderating and discussion? Also, it may allow roleplaying to accelerate since the forums themselves are not dynamic. Someone could say "Posted" in the shoutbox and the next person to go will know they can post.
by Kronvullok
March 2, 2017
I'd like to add an idea, if I may.

What about shoutboxes for OOC chat and more immediate moderating and discussion? Also, it may allow roleplaying to accelerate since the forums themselves are not dynamic. Someone could say "Posted" in the shoutbox and the next person to go will know they can post.

Liis
Administrator
March 2, 2017
@KittyKron,

I'm certain that notifications would play the same role in knowing when you can post.
by Liis
March 2, 2017
@KittyKron,

I'm certain that notifications would play the same role in knowing when you can post.
 1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.