Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Arbitration

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 14, 2017

This word is for the discussion of all words accepted in Sikaav. From the Sikaav rules:

Any word found in Thuum.org's dragon language dictionary can be played in Sikaav. This includes proper nouns that appear in the language, but not dragon names. It also includes words that are considered to be alternate spellings. Words from the Legacy Dictionary are not accepted.

Any word that requires the use of a hyphen cannot be played. Certain affixes can be used to form words while others cannot. Affixes that are used to form new vocabulary such as vo- 'un-' or -nu '-less' are only accepted in words where they officially appear, such as vokun 'shadow' or faasnu 'fearless'. Affixes that are used as part of grammar to express tense, possession, or plurality are accepted with any word where they can validly appear.

The Sikaav dictionary was generated by combining the base dictionary words with all suffixes relevant to them. If there's a word you come across that you think should or shouldn't be accepted, share below.

by paarthurnax
January 14, 2017

This word is for the discussion of all words accepted in Sikaav. From the Sikaav rules:

Any word found in Thuum.org's dragon language dictionary can be played in Sikaav. This includes proper nouns that appear in the language, but not dragon names. It also includes words that are considered to be alternate spellings. Words from the Legacy Dictionary are not accepted.

Any word that requires the use of a hyphen cannot be played. Certain affixes can be used to form words while others cannot. Affixes that are used to form new vocabulary such as vo- 'un-' or -nu '-less' are only accepted in words where they officially appear, such as vokun 'shadow' or faasnu 'fearless'. Affixes that are used as part of grammar to express tense, possession, or plurality are accepted with any word where they can validly appear.

The Sikaav dictionary was generated by combining the base dictionary words with all suffixes relevant to them. If there's a word you come across that you think should or shouldn't be accepted, share below.

Frinmulaar
January 16, 2017

Is there a technical reason for disallowing the so-called "hyphenated compounds"? As far as I can find out, there are no hyphens on Word Walls, e.g. rek-grohiik is spelled [rekgrohiik].

by Frinmulaar
January 16, 2017

Is there a technical reason for disallowing the so-called "hyphenated compounds"? As far as I can find out, there are no hyphens on Word Walls, e.g. rek-grohiik is spelled [rekgrohiik].

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 16, 2017
Frinmulaar

From some quick Google searching, it appears that hyphenated compounds are indeed spelled with a hyphen-like character. Some examples:

[Mal-Kendov]

[Sahqon-Strunmah]

[Dwiin-Sil]

Similar to English Scrabble where there is no apostrophe tile, hyphenated compounds aren't acceptable Sikaav words because they can't be properly spelled without a dedicated hyphen tile.

by paarthurnax
January 16, 2017
Frinmulaar

From some quick Google searching, it appears that hyphenated compounds are indeed spelled with a hyphen-like character. Some examples:

[Mal-Kendov]

[Sahqon-Strunmah]

[Dwiin-Sil]

Similar to English Scrabble where there is no apostrophe tile, hyphenated compounds aren't acceptable Sikaav words because they can't be properly spelled without a dedicated hyphen tile.

Frinmulaar
January 16, 2017
paarthurnax

Puzzling. But fair enough. If I may make a request without any obligation whatsoever, don't you think this hyphen-like character deserves explicit recognition in the Lessons? It seems to be, after all, the only draconic punctuation mark in existence.

by Frinmulaar
January 16, 2017
paarthurnax

Puzzling. But fair enough. If I may make a request without any obligation whatsoever, don't you think this hyphen-like character deserves explicit recognition in the Lessons? It seems to be, after all, the only draconic punctuation mark in existence.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 16, 2017
Frinmulaar

Certainly, it's worth adding to the lessons. Doesn't seem to be part of the font either, so I'll see if I can fix that, too.

by paarthurnax
January 16, 2017
Frinmulaar

Certainly, it's worth adding to the lessons. Doesn't seem to be part of the font either, so I'll see if I can fix that, too.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 28, 2018

Adverbs like geh and het were mistakenly valid with the suffix -a/-ha. I've gone through and removed these from the Sikaav dictionary.

by paarthurnax
January 28, 2018

Adverbs like geh and het were mistakenly valid with the suffix -a/-ha. I've gone through and removed these from the Sikaav dictionary.

Sonaak Kroinlah
June 29, 2019

Not sure if this is the right place for this (sorry if not) but I'm wondering why it wont accept "leinne" "worlds"?

by Sonaak Kroinlah
June 29, 2019

Not sure if this is the right place for this (sorry if not) but I'm wondering why it wont accept "leinne" "worlds"?