Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Homophones

Vahzahhind
January 23, 2017

Drem yol lok!  I've just hit around 60% of the Memrise Canon course and found my first homophone - Kul.  I'm wondering, are there any other Canonical homophones?

by Vahzahhind
January 23, 2017

Drem yol lok!  I've just hit around 60% of the Memrise Canon course and found my first homophone - Kul.  I'm wondering, are there any other Canonical homophones?

Frinmulaar
January 24, 2017

Nin is a homophone to niin, according to some. And in-universe, nok 'be at rest' is a homophone to nok 'tell falsehood as truth'.

by Frinmulaar
January 24, 2017

Nin is a homophone to niin, according to some. And in-universe, nok 'be at rest' is a homophone to nok 'tell falsehood as truth'.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 24, 2017

Homophones are pretty rare since there's a small vocabulary and by-the-book pronunciation keeps similarly spelled words unique (e.g. aak and ok).

Besides the examples Frinmulaar posted, another possible homophone comes up with laanne 'requests' and lahney 'to live'.

by paarthurnax
January 24, 2017

Homophones are pretty rare since there's a small vocabulary and by-the-book pronunciation keeps similarly spelled words unique (e.g. aak and ok).

Besides the examples Frinmulaar posted, another possible homophone comes up with laanne 'requests' and lahney 'to live'.

Vahzahhind
January 24, 2017

Thanks for the further examples!

@Frinmulaar  I forgot that Nok is the same homophone as English.  I think that's a pretty funny how they probably directly translated that across

@Paarthurnax Yeah with a vocabulary of ~630 I was surprised to find even 1 "orthographical homophone".  With the above answer I guess there are at least two.  I imagine the different 'A' sounds to be distinct would you say laanne and lahney as the same?  They're definitely very similar but my tell tale for me if I had to say it would be the h in lah.  

a - short ah

aa - long ah

ah - hard to describe but I definitely have the 'h' sound after the a

I do the same with i and ii.  I guess it's just a side effect of learning Japanese with their mora system

by Vahzahhind
January 24, 2017

Thanks for the further examples!

@Frinmulaar  I forgot that Nok is the same homophone as English.  I think that's a pretty funny how they probably directly translated that across

@Paarthurnax Yeah with a vocabulary of ~630 I was surprised to find even 1 "orthographical homophone".  With the above answer I guess there are at least two.  I imagine the different 'A' sounds to be distinct would you say laanne and lahney as the same?  They're definitely very similar but my tell tale for me if I had to say it would be the h in lah.  

a - short ah

aa - long ah

ah - hard to describe but I definitely have the 'h' sound after the a

I do the same with i and ii.  I guess it's just a side effect of learning Japanese with their mora system

Ruvgein
January 26, 2017
Aan - a
Aan - slave

I never liked that, if a Dragon says "aan joor" there is no way to know if you are just another mortal to them or they feel that you're their slave.
by Ruvgein
January 26, 2017
Aan - a

Aan - slave

I never liked that, if a Dragon says "aan joor" there is no way to know if you are just another mortal to them or they feel that you're their slave.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 26, 2017
Ruvgein
Aan - a Aan - slave I never liked that, if a Dragon says "aan joor" there is no way to know if you are just another mortal to them or they feel that you're their slave.

Aar or zaam are much more common, so that helps clear confusion. Aan as meaning 'slave' should really never be used.

by paarthurnax
January 26, 2017
Ruvgein
Aan - a Aan - slave I never liked that, if a Dragon says "aan joor" there is no way to know if you are just another mortal to them or they feel that you're their slave.

Aar or zaam are much more common, so that helps clear confusion. Aan as meaning 'slave' should really never be used.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.