A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translations

1  2 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 21, 2013

If you want to know how to say something in the Dragon Language, or if you're unsure about a translation and want it double-checked, post it here.  Likewise, if you have an answer for anyone looking, you can give your translation here too.

by paarthurnax
February 21, 2013

If you want to know how to say something in the Dragon Language, or if you're unsure about a translation and want it double-checked, post it here.  Likewise, if you have an answer for anyone looking, you can give your translation here too.

Qeth Vokunkriid
July 29, 2013

can anyone translate the word chill to dragon?

by Qeth Vokunkriid
July 29, 2013

can anyone translate the word chill to dragon?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 29, 2013

There doesn't appear to be a word for "chill" yet.  You might look to some synonyms, such as "Krah", "cold", or "Fo", "frost", or "Diin", "freeze".

by paarthurnax
July 29, 2013

There doesn't appear to be a word for "chill" yet.  You might look to some synonyms, such as "Krah", "cold", or "Fo", "frost", or "Diin", "freeze".

Annwvyn
July 29, 2013

Do you mean chill as in temperature, or chill as in (slang) relax?  There's always krisiiv, if it is the latter.  ^_^

by Annwvyn
July 29, 2013

Do you mean chill as in temperature, or chill as in (slang) relax?  There's always krisiiv, if it is the latter.  ^_^

Qeth Vokunkriid
July 29, 2013
Annwvyn

Chill as in the Tempature. gonna suck if I cant get a straight translation it is part of my name lmao

by Qeth Vokunkriid
July 29, 2013
Annwvyn

Chill as in the Tempature. gonna suck if I cant get a straight translation it is part of my name lmao

Egil
August 19, 2013

Hi,

i am new to this forum and i don't know if it is the right place to ask. I am planning and designing a roleplay-project and therefore i need the word "virtue" translated into the dragon language.

Of course i looked for words with a similar meaning, but found no one with the same positive sense in it.

Any idea?

by Egil
August 19, 2013

Hi,

i am new to this forum and i don't know if it is the right place to ask. I am planning and designing a roleplay-project and therefore i need the word "virtue" translated into the dragon language.

Of course i looked for words with a similar meaning, but found no one with the same positive sense in it.

Any idea?

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 19, 2013

It's not very close to "virtue", but "Zin", "honor", might work.  You're welcome to invent a word for "virtue" as well.

by paarthurnax
August 19, 2013

It's not very close to "virtue", but "Zin", "honor", might work.  You're welcome to invent a word for "virtue" as well.

Egil
August 19, 2013
paarthurnax

Thank you for your fast reply. Honor was also my emergency solution. First of all i thought "duty" would be fine, but then i found, it has an too inglorious taste.

I also think honor will make it.

Invent a new word? Oh .. Sorry.. I don't think i am skilled enough to do so. I have the worst language abilities ;-)

by Egil
August 19, 2013
paarthurnax

Thank you for your fast reply. Honor was also my emergency solution. First of all i thought "duty" would be fine, but then i found, it has an too inglorious taste.

I also think honor will make it.

Invent a new word? Oh .. Sorry.. I don't think i am skilled enough to do so. I have the worst language abilities ;-)

fabrizziofg
September 17, 2013

Hi guys, I'm  trying to translate the old fashined phrase: "to sail is necessary; to live is not necessary." and I'm having difficulties with the infinitive forms of the verbs, has anyone worked it out?

I've reached it (wah saat praagaan, wah lahney ni praagaan.) as the best form fiddling with "necessary" and adjective that has no traslation to dovahzul as "need" as an adjective "praag + -aan".

I hope we can find an solution for the infinitive thing, I'm planning a tatoo in dovahzul runics with this phrase.

by fabrizziofg
September 17, 2013

Hi guys, I'm  trying to translate the old fashined phrase: "to sail is necessary; to live is not necessary." and I'm having difficulties with the infinitive forms of the verbs, has anyone worked it out?

I've reached it (wah saat praagaan, wah lahney ni praagaan.) as the best form fiddling with "necessary" and adjective that has no traslation to dovahzul as "need" as an adjective "praag + -aan".

I hope we can find an solution for the infinitive thing, I'm planning a tatoo in dovahzul runics with this phrase.

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 17, 2013

Very close!  There are a couple ways to phrase it, and most of it comes down to personal preference.  There's the really shortened version: "saat praagaan, lahney praaganni", which translates most closely to "Sailing is needed/necessary, living is not needed/necessary".

Then, there's the longer version which you've listed above, but here are some alterations to that: "Wah saat praagaan, wah lahney praagaanni" or "Wah saat praagaan, wah lahney praagaan ni", or even "Wah saat praagaan, wah lahney vopraagaan".

The first two mean most closely "To sail (is) needed/necessary, to live (is) not needed/necessary".  It's important for "ni" to go at the end so it couldn't be mistaken with "lahney", otherwise it would say "To sail is needed, to not live is needed".  Then the last one means "To sail is needed, to live is uneeded".  All have similar meaning, but just a bit different ways of going about it.

All that said, one thing I would really like to stress is that most of the words here are non-canon.  When it comes to things like tattoos, I strongly recommend sticking with the canon language.  This is because the canon language is set in stone, while the non-canon language worked on by the community here is constantly expanding and changing.  If you're unsure whether a word is canon or non-canon, check its word entry.

by paarthurnax
September 17, 2013

Very close!  There are a couple ways to phrase it, and most of it comes down to personal preference.  There's the really shortened version: "saat praagaan, lahney praaganni", which translates most closely to "Sailing is needed/necessary, living is not needed/necessary".

Then, there's the longer version which you've listed above, but here are some alterations to that: "Wah saat praagaan, wah lahney praagaanni" or "Wah saat praagaan, wah lahney praagaan ni", or even "Wah saat praagaan, wah lahney vopraagaan".

The first two mean most closely "To sail (is) needed/necessary, to live (is) not needed/necessary".  It's important for "ni" to go at the end so it couldn't be mistaken with "lahney", otherwise it would say "To sail is needed, to not live is needed".  Then the last one means "To sail is needed, to live is uneeded".  All have similar meaning, but just a bit different ways of going about it.

All that said, one thing I would really like to stress is that most of the words here are non-canon.  When it comes to things like tattoos, I strongly recommend sticking with the canon language.  This is because the canon language is set in stone, while the non-canon language worked on by the community here is constantly expanding and changing.  If you're unsure whether a word is canon or non-canon, check its word entry.

godofminecraft56
September 28, 2013

How do i say Hell?

by godofminecraft56
September 28, 2013

How do i say Hell?

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 28, 2013

It's a challenge since "Hell" doesn't exist in the Elder Scrolls universe.  You could say "Oblivion"  instead ("What in Oblivion is that?" / "Fos ko Oblivion los tol?").  If it's not something you're translating from English, see if you can avoid the use of "Hell" altogether.  Barring that, you can use "Hell" as a borrowed name if you need to ("He went to Hell" / "Rok shur wah Hell").

by paarthurnax
September 28, 2013

It's a challenge since "Hell" doesn't exist in the Elder Scrolls universe.  You could say "Oblivion"  instead ("What in Oblivion is that?" / "Fos ko Oblivion los tol?").  If it's not something you're translating from English, see if you can avoid the use of "Hell" altogether.  Barring that, you can use "Hell" as a borrowed name if you need to ("He went to Hell" / "Rok shur wah Hell").

godofminecraft56
September 28, 2013

Well i used  hell plus (sorry for this) gjok on a diffrent website

by godofminecraft56
September 28, 2013

Well i used  hell plus (sorry for this) gjok on a diffrent website

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 28, 2013

No worries, it's fine in a casual or conversational setting.  Whereas they probably wouldn't appear on Word Walls or something of that sort.

by paarthurnax
September 28, 2013

No worries, it's fine in a casual or conversational setting.  Whereas they probably wouldn't appear on Word Walls or something of that sort.

godofminecraft56
September 28, 2013

Whatever that means i don't get it (I am only 12 dude but idc if i am banned for being underage)

by godofminecraft56
September 28, 2013

Whatever that means i don't get it (I am only 12 dude but idc if i am banned for being underage)

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.