Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

H. P. Lovecraft

Vulreytholm
March 6, 2017

I'm just putting it out there, most of the language used is that slightly archaic English that I think would translate pretty well. Being a new and non-fluent user of Dovahzul (and honestly pretty lazy), I don't think I'm up for the job. The only reason I'm putting this idea out here is because my ADHD medicine is still present enough for me to focus but has worn off enough so I can't tell good ideas from bad. Anyways, I don't know how this will turn out, have fun discussing or whatever you want here.

by Vulreytholm
March 6, 2017

I'm just putting it out there, most of the language used is that slightly archaic English that I think would translate pretty well. Being a new and non-fluent user of Dovahzul (and honestly pretty lazy), I don't think I'm up for the job. The only reason I'm putting this idea out here is because my ADHD medicine is still present enough for me to focus but has worn off enough so I can't tell good ideas from bad. Anyways, I don't know how this will turn out, have fun discussing or whatever you want here.

Firestar
March 9, 2017

Even with a non cannon vocabulary, I dont think there are enough words. H.P likes describing himself in great detail, much like Tolky, which is why I think neithers' works have been translated yet...

Plus, even if someone managed to translate it, who would acutally be able to read it?

Perhaps someone could get around complicated words by expressing them with elongated phrases of simpler words, but that would make the already daunting task of translating a book even more daunting, possibly doubling its length. But it really depends on what you translate: Something short like the cats of ulthar could be possible, but I doubt his other, more drawn out works.

Anyway, we can still hope a nerd with too much free time will manage! ;)

by Firestar
March 9, 2017

Even with a non cannon vocabulary, I dont think there are enough words. H.P likes describing himself in great detail, much like Tolky, which is why I think neithers' works have been translated yet...

Plus, even if someone managed to translate it, who would acutally be able to read it?

Perhaps someone could get around complicated words by expressing them with elongated phrases of simpler words, but that would make the already daunting task of translating a book even more daunting, possibly doubling its length. But it really depends on what you translate: Something short like the cats of ulthar could be possible, but I doubt his other, more drawn out works.

Anyway, we can still hope a nerd with too much free time will manage! ;)

DovahKiinZaan
March 12, 2017
He used some rare language. Dovahzul wouldn't translate.
by DovahKiinZaan
March 12, 2017
He used some rare language. Dovahzul wouldn't translate.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.