Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

New guy with thoughts

Hevnolovaasmun
May 28, 2017

Hi there. I am new on here and had a few thoughts on your site. First, I would have figured you lot would have had a Flash Card game to help a noob like myself learn the dragon script. From going to trade school, I have an app called Cram which does have Dovahzul, but I would prefer an official school (you) source. Second, has anyone ever thought of making an "audio book", made of common phrases? I have the means to record music, so I would probably end up doing that for myself. I learn better that way, but I would share it all here. So yea, let me know if there is something I missed. I hope to stick with this and be able to speak to someone one day.

by Hevnolovaasmun
May 28, 2017

Hi there. I am new on here and had a few thoughts on your site. First, I would have figured you lot would have had a Flash Card game to help a noob like myself learn the dragon script. From going to trade school, I have an app called Cram which does have Dovahzul, but I would prefer an official school (you) source. Second, has anyone ever thought of making an "audio book", made of common phrases? I have the means to record music, so I would probably end up doing that for myself. I learn better that way, but I would share it all here. So yea, let me know if there is something I missed. I hope to stick with this and be able to speak to someone one day.

Zinrahzul
May 28, 2017
Hello there, Drem yol lok! I'll let others speak for the first part, but I myself have been interested in audio resources for learning Dovahzul. My desire is also to speak Dovahzul fluently as much as possible. I had thought of coming up with common phrases not mentioned in the Lessons section of thuum.org, but I've been involved in other projects of mine. All that to say, I'll provide any support I can. I know there are others also willing to help. The big thing I think is that it takes new people persevering to get these kinds of projects going and garner interest.
by Zinrahzul
May 28, 2017
Hello there, Drem yol lok! I'll let others speak for the first part, but I myself have been interested in audio resources for learning Dovahzul. My desire is also to speak Dovahzul fluently as much as possible. I had thought of coming up with common phrases not mentioned in the Lessons section of thuum.org, but I've been involved in other projects of mine. All that to say, I'll provide any support I can. I know there are others also willing to help. The big thing I think is that it takes new people persevering to get these kinds of projects going and garner interest.

Hevnolovaasmun
May 28, 2017

Kogaan Fah hin thu'um. Amativ! I could probably even get started this week if I had some examples. So totally open to suggestions. I will likely start with the alphabet then progress to a bunch of cut and paste (like I have been doing). Which brings up another topic. How does one go about suggesting more official words? Or for the time being, is it encouraged to pronounce words phonetically (beer vs. beyenrah)? First day and I am already trying to cut corners, haha.

by Hevnolovaasmun
May 28, 2017

Kogaan Fah hin thu'um. Amativ! I could probably even get started this week if I had some examples. So totally open to suggestions. I will likely start with the alphabet then progress to a bunch of cut and paste (like I have been doing). Which brings up another topic. How does one go about suggesting more official words? Or for the time being, is it encouraged to pronounce words phonetically (beer vs. beyenrah)? First day and I am already trying to cut corners, haha.

Frinmulaar
May 29, 2017
Hevnolovaasju

How does one go about suggesting more official words? Or for the time being, is it encouraged to pronounce words phonetically (beer vs. beyenrah)? First day and I am already trying to cut corners, haha.

No one ever suggested more official words because we are not Bethesda. People did assemble a dictionary of fanmade words, now called Legacy. That was more trouble than worth so it was put on hold for the foreseeable future. You can still use Legacy vocab in casual conversation and there should be enough entries to sustain almost any topic.

Also, forget about 'beyenrah'. The alphabet letter names are just that. "Bonjour" in English is not Beeohenjayohyouare.

by Frinmulaar
May 29, 2017
Hevnolovaasju

How does one go about suggesting more official words? Or for the time being, is it encouraged to pronounce words phonetically (beer vs. beyenrah)? First day and I am already trying to cut corners, haha.

No one ever suggested more official words because we are not Bethesda. People did assemble a dictionary of fanmade words, now called Legacy. That was more trouble than worth so it was put on hold for the foreseeable future. You can still use Legacy vocab in casual conversation and there should be enough entries to sustain almost any topic.

Also, forget about 'beyenrah'. The alphabet letter names are just that. "Bonjour" in English is not Beeohenjayohyouare.

Hevnolovaasmun
May 29, 2017

Yea, I realize this is all fan made, and by official I meant the site, or non-cannon words as recognized by Thuum.org. Legacy sounds like what I was looking for. I have been looking at memrise, so the discipline has begun.

by Hevnolovaasmun
May 29, 2017

Yea, I realize this is all fan made, and by official I meant the site, or non-cannon words as recognized by Thuum.org. Legacy sounds like what I was looking for. I have been looking at memrise, so the discipline has begun.

Zinrahzul
May 29, 2017
For phrases, I suggest going through all the Skyrim Dragon dialog to glean phrases. Lost nol tinvaak do Odahviing tol zu'u mindok daar rot "ro laan" ol "a fair (balanced) trade".
by Zinrahzul
May 29, 2017
For phrases, I suggest going through all the Skyrim Dragon dialog to glean phrases. Lost nol tinvaak do Odahviing tol zu'u mindok daar rot "ro laan" ol "a fair (balanced) trade".

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.