Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translating "The Book of The Dragonborn."

Okaazrahkul
June 25, 2017
Hey guys, as you can read in the title above, I am translating the Skyrim book; "The Book of The Dragonborn" into Dovahzul. This will be semi-canom, using the dictionary provided, and will be as literally translated as possible. After I have done this, I will attempt to do a fully canon version. I hope you enjoyed reafing this, and I can't wait to show my work!

-Okaazrahkul
by Okaazrahkul
June 25, 2017
Hey guys, as you can read in the title above, I am translating the Skyrim book; "The Book of The Dragonborn" into Dovahzul. This will be semi-canom, using the dictionary provided, and will be as literally translated as possible. After I have done this, I will attempt to do a fully canon version. I hope you enjoyed reafing this, and I can't wait to show my work!

-Okaazrahkul

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 26, 2017

Looking forward to it!

by paarthurnax
June 26, 2017

Looking forward to it!

Okaazrahkul
June 26, 2017
paarthurnax

Looking forward to it!

Wow! Thanks man!

by Okaazrahkul
June 26, 2017
paarthurnax

Looking forward to it!

Wow! Thanks man!

Ruvgein
June 27, 2017
If you need any help translating, feel free to reach out to us!
by Ruvgein
June 27, 2017
If you need any help translating, feel free to reach out to us!

Okaazrahkul
June 28, 2017

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm just writing up the first part now, before uploading it, lol.

by Okaazrahkul
June 28, 2017

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm just writing up the first part now, before uploading it, lol.

Okaazrahkul
June 28, 2017
"The Book of the Dragonborn" in Dovahzul - Part One

Hey guys, here's the first part of my attempt at turning the book; "The Book of the Dragonborn" into the dragon language found in Skyrim.

I hope you enjoy, and the next part will have at least twice as much as this first part, lol.

~Okaazrahkul

Fin Kelsedovahkiin
Voth
Sonaak Emelene Madrine
Uth do Talos
Weynon Priory

Eruvos sok men ahrk sed ben do siid bok
Diist ahrk zein men do rel do
Jun Pelagius hir

Pogaan muz drey hon do "Dovahkiin" - mu los rel voth "Dovahkiin Junne" - nuz faal vahzen do faal rot los ni mindoraan voth pogaan. Fah nust do mu ko fin uth do Talos, daar los ruz us un sille, ahrk ko daar kel zu'u fen togaat us pah tinvaak do tiid ahrk sahrot do nust mu mindak ol Dovahkiin tum zeim faal bokke.
by Okaazrahkul
June 28, 2017
"The Book of the Dragonborn" in Dovahzul - Part One

Hey guys, here's the first part of my attempt at turning the book; "The Book of the Dragonborn" into the dragon language found in Skyrim.

I hope you enjoy, and the next part will have at least twice as much as this first part, lol.

~Okaazrahkul

Fin Kelsedovahkiin

Voth

Sonaak Emelene Madrine

Uth do Talos

Weynon Priory

Eruvos sok men ahrk sed ben do siid bok

Diist ahrk zein men do rel do

Jun Pelagius hir

Pogaan muz drey hon do "Dovahkiin" - mu los rel voth "Dovahkiin Junne" - nuz faal vahzen do faal rot los ni mindoraan voth pogaan. Fah nust do mu ko fin uth do Talos, daar los ruz us un sille, ahrk ko daar kel zu'u fen togaat us pah tinvaak do tiid ahrk sahrot do nust mu mindak ol Dovahkiin tum zeim faal bokke.

Frinmulaar
June 28, 2017

Good. Some criticism if you won't mind.

Fin Kelsedovahkiin

This is a proper noun, the name of the book, and thus receives the honorable faal instead of fin. Kel only ever refers to an Elder Scroll in canon. I would substitute tey 'tale' or pel 'writ'.

Voth
Sonaak Emelene Madrine

You use voth several times to indicate agents of passive sentences. The correct choice for this role is naal. There is no indication of an incomplete passive ever being used to name an author; to be on the safe side, make it a full zorox naal '(was) create(d) by'

Uth do Talos
Weynon Priory

Uth only ever means a command or an instruction. You can refer to the organization with Aar/Ahmik/Mir do Talos 'Servants/Service/Alliance of Talos'. A priory is a religious house similar to a monastery. I would coin zeinhof 'worship-hall'.

daar los ruz us un sille, ahrk ko daar kel zu'u fen togaat us pah tinvaak ...

Ruz us un sille 'after that time, in front of our souls' is hard to interpret. Presumably it means metaphorical proximity. Same for fen togaat us pah tinvaak 'will attempt in front of all the talk'.

tum zeim faal bokke

Good use of faal. Zeim is arguably well suited for this temporal context, but the idiom 'down through' is notably English and would likely be unknown in a draconic mindset.

by Frinmulaar
June 28, 2017

Good. Some criticism if you won't mind.

Fin Kelsedovahkiin

This is a proper noun, the name of the book, and thus receives the honorable faal instead of fin. Kel only ever refers to an Elder Scroll in canon. I would substitute tey 'tale' or pel 'writ'.

Voth
Sonaak Emelene Madrine

You use voth several times to indicate agents of passive sentences. The correct choice for this role is naal. There is no indication of an incomplete passive ever being used to name an author; to be on the safe side, make it a full zorox naal '(was) create(d) by'

Uth do Talos
Weynon Priory

Uth only ever means a command or an instruction. You can refer to the organization with Aar/Ahmik/Mir do Talos 'Servants/Service/Alliance of Talos'. A priory is a religious house similar to a monastery. I would coin zeinhof 'worship-hall'.

daar los ruz us un sille, ahrk ko daar kel zu'u fen togaat us pah tinvaak ...

Ruz us un sille 'after that time, in front of our souls' is hard to interpret. Presumably it means metaphorical proximity. Same for fen togaat us pah tinvaak 'will attempt in front of all the talk'.

tum zeim faal bokke

Good use of faal. Zeim is arguably well suited for this temporal context, but the idiom 'down through' is notably English and would likely be unknown in a draconic mindset.

Okaazrahkul
June 28, 2017
@Frinmulaar

Huh, thanks man! I'll redo this part, before doing the second part :)
by Okaazrahkul
June 28, 2017
@Frinmulaar

Huh, thanks man! I'll redo this part, before doing the second part :)

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.