Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Grammar check!

Hahdremro
September 6, 2017

Drem, pah! I have been lax in my Dovahzul studies for about a year now, but lately I've been getting back into the swing of things. To jog my memory, I've been coming up with an inspirational letter to give to a player in an upcoming game of Dungeons and Dragons. (In the campaign I run, we use Dovahzul instead of Draconic. It fits the setting well and lets me show off my nerd cred.) I'm writing the letter in runes and bringing the page to the game session, partially to practice my rune handwriting and partially to flaunt the fact that I'm a bilingual geek. But before I commit, I'd like to make sure I have the grammar correct. I'm using all canon words just to challenge myself, and may turn this into a "Scroll of Courage" or something some day. I'm somewhat proud of what I've done so far, after having hardly touched Dovahzul after almost a year.

Anyway, long introduction aside, let me know what you think of the following:

[kriist voth zey nu ahrk mindoraan fin ahkrin do hin sil dii unslaad fahdon]

[voth spaan mulhaan wah ronaaz ahrk tuz hi fent ni graan nol morokei grah uv diir naal hokoron zun]

[siiv mulaag ko nos do zahkrii ahrk brii ko kriaan paal fah fod hind los sahlo hi los mul]

by Hahdremro
September 6, 2017

Drem, pah! I have been lax in my Dovahzul studies for about a year now, but lately I've been getting back into the swing of things. To jog my memory, I've been coming up with an inspirational letter to give to a player in an upcoming game of Dungeons and Dragons. (In the campaign I run, we use Dovahzul instead of Draconic. It fits the setting well and lets me show off my nerd cred.) I'm writing the letter in runes and bringing the page to the game session, partially to practice my rune handwriting and partially to flaunt the fact that I'm a bilingual geek. But before I commit, I'd like to make sure I have the grammar correct. I'm using all canon words just to challenge myself, and may turn this into a "Scroll of Courage" or something some day. I'm somewhat proud of what I've done so far, after having hardly touched Dovahzul after almost a year.

Anyway, long introduction aside, let me know what you think of the following:

[kriist voth zey nu ahrk mindoraan fin ahkrin do hin sil dii unslaad fahdon]

[voth spaan mulhaan wah ronaaz ahrk tuz hi fent ni graan nol morokei grah uv diir naal hokoron zun]

[siiv mulaag ko nos do zahkrii ahrk brii ko kriaan paal fah fod hind los sahlo hi los mul]

Frinmulaar
September 6, 2017
'Zey' is Legacy, use plain nominative zu'u instead.
One typo detected, diir < dir.
Otherwise it is usual englishified canon with no obvious mistakes. Voth to mean 'accompanying' is the most dubious choice, but alternatives are scarce.
by Frinmulaar
September 6, 2017
'Zey' is Legacy, use plain nominative zu'u instead.

One typo detected, diir < dir.

Otherwise it is usual englishified canon with no obvious mistakes. Voth to mean 'accompanying' is the most dubious choice, but alternatives are scarce.

Hahdremro
September 6, 2017

Thanks! That was a typo, the first draft didn't have that. Glad to see everything checks out.

by Hahdremro
September 6, 2017

Thanks! That was a typo, the first draft didn't have that. Glad to see everything checks out.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.