Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Runic Dovahzul Transcribing Course

Sosaalvulon
September 21, 2017

Since the first day I came here, I've been obsessed with 2 things : learn all Canon Dovahzul vocabulary and grammar and stuff, and be able to read those runes.

I managed to achieve the first one thanks to the Memrise Course, and I discovered the app at the same time. I pretty much liked it to be honest.

But I never succeeded in the second one. Somehow. It's not that hard, I thought. I can do it in one hour, I thought. But I failed and failed and lacked motivation at the end.

I looked for courses on Memrise the learn how to memorize and become used to this runic alphabet, but none of them were really good. 

So I decided to do my own.

It's called "Dovahzul Transcribing". I based myself a lot on Nol's Course, to join both of them. I put in it a way to learn the alphabet, to practice with some words ( about 200 ) according to Nol's Course, and a further step to memorize even better the translation of those words with some levels about transcribing Runic to English in one step.

I just ended it today. Nobody tested it at this very moment, so there might be some mistakes even though I managed not to make any.

Here is the link : https://www.memrise.com/course/1249916/dovahzul-transcribing/

Hope you enjoy ! You can consider it as my Autumn Gift for the community !

by Sosaalvulon
September 21, 2017

Since the first day I came here, I've been obsessed with 2 things : learn all Canon Dovahzul vocabulary and grammar and stuff, and be able to read those runes.

I managed to achieve the first one thanks to the Memrise Course, and I discovered the app at the same time. I pretty much liked it to be honest.

But I never succeeded in the second one. Somehow. It's not that hard, I thought. I can do it in one hour, I thought. But I failed and failed and lacked motivation at the end.

I looked for courses on Memrise the learn how to memorize and become used to this runic alphabet, but none of them were really good. 

So I decided to do my own.

It's called "Dovahzul Transcribing". I based myself a lot on Nol's Course, to join both of them. I put in it a way to learn the alphabet, to practice with some words ( about 200 ) according to Nol's Course, and a further step to memorize even better the translation of those words with some levels about transcribing Runic to English in one step.

I just ended it today. Nobody tested it at this very moment, so there might be some mistakes even though I managed not to make any.

Here is the link : https://www.memrise.com/course/1249916/dovahzul-transcribing/

Hope you enjoy ! You can consider it as my Autumn Gift for the community !

Veyd Sahvoz
September 21, 2017
This is definitely quite neat, Sosaal. I can understand your struggle with the runes, that part has always been quite hazy to me, especially with my bad memory. Seeing someone take up the task on their lonesome is quite impressive. I'll definitely have to try it at some point.
by Veyd Sahvoz
September 21, 2017
This is definitely quite neat, Sosaal. I can understand your struggle with the runes, that part has always been quite hazy to me, especially with my bad memory. Seeing someone take up the task on their lonesome is quite impressive. I'll definitely have to try it at some point.

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 21, 2017

Thanks for putting this together, Sosaalvulon! I can see this being really helpful for people learning the runes. I've added a link to it in the Library.

Once you've mastered the individual letters, the Reading Test in the Lessons can help you improve your reading skills.

by paarthurnax
September 21, 2017

Thanks for putting this together, Sosaalvulon! I can see this being really helpful for people learning the runes. I've added a link to it in the Library.

Once you've mastered the individual letters, the Reading Test in the Lessons can help you improve your reading skills.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.