Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Canon Translator and 5th Edition Dictionary Errors

1  2 > >>  

Hahdremro
October 9, 2017

I just noticed when I typed "worship" into the canon English-Dovahzul translator that it came up with the incorrect definition for the translation. "Worship" is translated to zein, which is correct according to the dictionary, but the definition it gives in the translator preview is "through; past; beyond," which is actually the definition for zeim. I checked the dictionary pages for both words, and the pages seem to be correct, but there is an error in the translator itself. Just thought I'd bring that to the attention of the powers-that-be. I'll post here with any further errors I discover.

by Hahdremro
October 9, 2017

I just noticed when I typed "worship" into the canon English-Dovahzul translator that it came up with the incorrect definition for the translation. "Worship" is translated to zein, which is correct according to the dictionary, but the definition it gives in the translator preview is "through; past; beyond," which is actually the definition for zeim. I checked the dictionary pages for both words, and the pages seem to be correct, but there is an error in the translator itself. Just thought I'd bring that to the attention of the powers-that-be. I'll post here with any further errors I discover.

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 12, 2017

Thanks for posting, Hahdremo, I'm looking into it. Normally this seems like it would be a mixed up entry on my part, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The issue appears to be deeper than that so I'm doing some digging.

by paarthurnax
October 12, 2017

Thanks for posting, Hahdremo, I'm looking into it. Normally this seems like it would be a mixed up entry on my part, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The issue appears to be deeper than that so I'm doing some digging.

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 12, 2017

All right, this should be fixed now. The problem was the translator wasn't grabbing the most recent entry, and previously I had mistakenly put zeim's definition into zein.

by paarthurnax
October 12, 2017

All right, this should be fixed now. The problem was the translator wasn't grabbing the most recent entry, and previously I had mistakenly put zeim's definition into zein.

Hahdremro
October 13, 2017

I can go through the dictionary and input each word into the translator to check for any other mistakes. Shouldn't take long, honestly, and it might even help me learn more words. I'll post here if I find anything else that needs to be changed.

by Hahdremro
October 13, 2017

I can go through the dictionary and input each word into the translator to check for any other mistakes. Shouldn't take long, honestly, and it might even help me learn more words. I'll post here if I find anything else that needs to be changed.

Hahdremro
October 13, 2017

Update, I found another error. Typing "end" in the English - Dovahzul canon translator produces many results, including dir. The definition in the translator preview for that one is correct... But it's written in French instead of English! Rather than saying "to die," it says "à Mourir." Clicking on the word brought me to the English dictionary entry for dir, so everything else seems to be fine with the word.

Side note, should I make seperate posts for each error I find, or should I edit my earlier reply? I feel like it would be better organized if I make multiple posts, but I can condense my posts if need be.

by Hahdremro
October 13, 2017

Update, I found another error. Typing "end" in the English - Dovahzul canon translator produces many results, including dir. The definition in the translator preview for that one is correct... But it's written in French instead of English! Rather than saying "to die," it says "à Mourir." Clicking on the word brought me to the English dictionary entry for dir, so everything else seems to be fine with the word.

Side note, should I make seperate posts for each error I find, or should I edit my earlier reply? I feel like it would be better organized if I make multiple posts, but I can condense my posts if need be.

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 15, 2017
Hahdremro

Good find! This problem should be fixed now.

Feel free to make separate posts in this thread. I agree it'll be more organized that way, plus I'll get a notification each time. Thank you!

by paarthurnax
October 15, 2017
Hahdremro

Good find! This problem should be fixed now.

Feel free to make separate posts in this thread. I agree it'll be more organized that way, plus I'll get a notification each time. Thank you!

Hahdremro
November 16, 2017

I'm not entirely sure if this is intentional or an error, but the canon dictionary entry for do says the following in the Notes section:

Likely inspired de "of/from" in many languages including Latin, French, Irish, and Portuguese.

Should this say "inspired by de" rather than "inspired de"? The translator entry and the dictionary entry both say the same thing, so I wasn't sure if it was an error, but I figured it would be worth pointing out.

by Hahdremro
November 16, 2017

I'm not entirely sure if this is intentional or an error, but the canon dictionary entry for do says the following in the Notes section:

Likely inspired de "of/from" in many languages including Latin, French, Irish, and Portuguese.

Should this say "inspired by de" rather than "inspired de"? The translator entry and the dictionary entry both say the same thing, so I wasn't sure if it was an error, but I figured it would be worth pointing out.

Liis
Administrator
November 17, 2017
@Hahdremro,

Thanks for that catch. I've fixed it.
by Liis
November 17, 2017
@Hahdremro,

Thanks for that catch. I've fixed it.

Hahdremro
December 20, 2017

Edited the thread title and description. This thread will also be the place for reporting any errors found in the 5th edition dragon language print dictionary PDF. Keep in mind that Paarthurnax got the information for the print dictionary from the site a few months before releasing the print dictionary itself, so some of the mistakes have already been corrected on the site but not in the dictionary yet.

by Hahdremro
December 20, 2017

Edited the thread title and description. This thread will also be the place for reporting any errors found in the 5th edition dragon language print dictionary PDF. Keep in mind that Paarthurnax got the information for the print dictionary from the site a few months before releasing the print dictionary itself, so some of the mistakes have already been corrected on the site but not in the dictionary yet.

Ruvgein
December 22, 2017
This thread is awesome.

"Dir" is of course a verb, meaning "to die". But type "Dirre" in the translator, and it counts as a real word. I know this happens with other words, but I don't remember which.

I would say, while not knowing how easy things are to change, that it would be neat if instead of not showing up as a word, it would register the affix and the verb like it shows up right now, but with one change. Right above where it says what the affix means, I think it'd be cool if a message came up like "Verbs don't have plurals!" It would help people learn, I think.
by Ruvgein
December 22, 2017
This thread is awesome.

"Dir" is of course a verb, meaning "to die". But type "Dirre" in the translator, and it counts as a real word. I know this happens with other words, but I don't remember which.

I would say, while not knowing how easy things are to change, that it would be neat if instead of not showing up as a word, it would register the affix and the verb like it shows up right now, but with one change. Right above where it says what the affix means, I think it'd be cool if a message came up like "Verbs don't have plurals!" It would help people learn, I think.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 22, 2017
Ruvgein
This thread is awesome. "Dir" is of course a verb, meaning "to die". But type "Dirre" in the translator, and it counts as a real word. I know this happens with other words, but I don't remember which. I would say, while not knowing how easy things are to change, that it would be neat if instead of not showing up as a word, it would register the affix and the verb like it shows up right now, but with one change. Right above where it says what the affix means, I think it'd be cool if a message came up like "Verbs don't have plurals!" It would help people learn, I think.

Good point! Where this gets tricky is that strong verbs can be plural when they're acting as a noun. In your example, though, dir is a weak verb because there's the explicit word dinok, so I'll see if I can set up a message that displays for weak verbs only.

by paarthurnax
December 22, 2017
Ruvgein
This thread is awesome. "Dir" is of course a verb, meaning "to die". But type "Dirre" in the translator, and it counts as a real word. I know this happens with other words, but I don't remember which. I would say, while not knowing how easy things are to change, that it would be neat if instead of not showing up as a word, it would register the affix and the verb like it shows up right now, but with one change. Right above where it says what the affix means, I think it'd be cool if a message came up like "Verbs don't have plurals!" It would help people learn, I think.

Good point! Where this gets tricky is that strong verbs can be plural when they're acting as a noun. In your example, though, dir is a weak verb because there's the explicit word dinok, so I'll see if I can set up a message that displays for weak verbs only.

Hahdremro
December 22, 2017

Not a translator or dictionary problem, but I noticed a typo in the "Names and Modern Words" section of the Lessons. It says "equivalne" instead of "equivalent."

Should this thread also be used for any other errors found throughout the site? I feel like it could be useful to have something like that available so that members can help to constantly improve and polish the site. I can change the thread title/description if that's the case.

by Hahdremro
December 22, 2017

Not a translator or dictionary problem, but I noticed a typo in the "Names and Modern Words" section of the Lessons. It says "equivalne" instead of "equivalent."

Should this thread also be used for any other errors found throughout the site? I feel like it could be useful to have something like that available so that members can help to constantly improve and polish the site. I can change the thread title/description if that's the case.

Hahdremro
December 22, 2017

Looked up "Nus" on the translator, and I think there is an error in the dictionary page for it.

The Connotations section says the following:

Word of Power, permanent and unchanging, facilitates and the transition between flesh and ice.

The sentence seems grammatically incorrect. Isn't the second "and" unnecessary there? Either that or this is the wrong form of the word "facilitate." Either way, it's something else to look into.

by Hahdremro
December 22, 2017

Looked up "Nus" on the translator, and I think there is an error in the dictionary page for it.

Word of Power, permanent and unchanging, facilitates and the transition between flesh and ice.

The sentence seems grammatically incorrect. Isn't the second "and" unnecessary there? Either that or this is the wrong form of the word "facilitate." Either way, it's something else to look into.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 22, 2017
Hahdremro

Thanks for spotting that, I've fixed the entry.

by paarthurnax
December 22, 2017
Hahdremro

Thanks for spotting that, I've fixed the entry.

Ruvgein
February 11, 2018

Typing "scales" in the translator brings me to Qah like it should, but typing "scale" does not. 

The translator itself says to avoid using plurals since it may not count as a word that way, so shouldn't just "scale" be enough for Qah?

by Ruvgein
February 11, 2018

Typing "scales" in the translator brings me to Qah like it should, but typing "scale" does not. 

The translator itself says to avoid using plurals since it may not count as a word that way, so shouldn't just "scale" be enough for Qah?

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.