Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

about Fahluaan (gardener) and the mysterious Fahl

scrptrx
December 27, 2017

if Fahluaan is canon of Gardener (referring to Hermaeus Mora, the Gardener of Men, who is also known as the Inevitable Knower) then there must be a related root meaning Garden, which is thought to be Fahlu. Though the -u ending is unusual aside from some single-syllable words, it isn't alone, as the canon word for army is Lahvu (and I don't think it's a compound word from "magic" and "dawn"). Other words ending in -u are a compound ending in -nu. 

But.

If the dragon Nahfahlaar is named by the three words Nah Fahl Aar (fury ___ servant), then Fahl has to mean something on its own. Is the -u in Fahlu a possessive suffix? If so, is "garden" actually "our ___"?  Fahl could mean several things, such as "plant" or "seed" or "property". It could also just be the verb form of "garden".

I have issues with the word overall, as -aan is a past participle indicator. But that would make the word "Gardened" and the phrase Fahluaan do Jul doesn't translate properly. 

Is Fahluaan just an irregular word? Or did Bethesda just throw it out there thinking it made sense lol.

by scrptrx
December 27, 2017

if Fahluaan is canon of Gardener (referring to Hermaeus Mora, the Gardener of Men, who is also known as the Inevitable Knower) then there must be a related root meaning Garden, which is thought to be Fahlu. Though the -u ending is unusual aside from some single-syllable words, it isn't alone, as the canon word for army is Lahvu (and I don't think it's a compound word from "magic" and "dawn"). Other words ending in -u are a compound ending in -nu. 

But.

If the dragon Nahfahlaar is named by the three words Nah Fahl Aar (fury ___ servant), then Fahl has to mean something on its own. Is the -u in Fahlu a possessive suffix? If so, is "garden" actually "our ___"?  Fahl could mean several things, such as "plant" or "seed" or "property". It could also just be the verb form of "garden".

I have issues with the word overall, as -aan is a past participle indicator. But that would make the word "Gardened" and the phrase Fahluaan do Jul doesn't translate properly. 

Is Fahluaan just an irregular word? Or did Bethesda just throw it out there thinking it made sense lol.

Frinmulaar
December 28, 2017
Interesting. The lack of evidence is frustrating, but we must work with what we have. The use of -aan to mean "doer of action" also happens in "kriaan"; I'm convinced it has a semantic relation to the past participle by way of "someone who has killed/gardened".
by Frinmulaar
December 28, 2017
Interesting. The lack of evidence is frustrating, but we must work with what we have. The use of -aan to mean "doer of action" also happens in "kriaan"; I'm convinced it has a semantic relation to the past participle by way of "someone who has killed/gardened".

scrptrx
December 28, 2017

That's an excellent point, thank you. I tried to find another use of -aan that wasn't a past tense but that is the perfect, if only example. I was thinking -iik was the suffix used for that (like traveller). There's no reason then that the root of the word isn't Fahlu.

I'm assuming it's possible that Fahl is just an acceptable way to write Fahlu. There are some instances of two version of words in canon. What I'm just trying to figure out is if it can be reasonably argued that Fahl (not Fahlu) does indeed mean "garden" (n/v). For reasons. :)

eta: There's also Qiilaan, n/v, "bow". I wonder if it could also be "one who has bowed/submitted". 

by scrptrx
December 28, 2017

That's an excellent point, thank you. I tried to find another use of -aan that wasn't a past tense but that is the perfect, if only example. I was thinking -iik was the suffix used for that (like traveller). There's no reason then that the root of the word isn't Fahlu.

I'm assuming it's possible that Fahl is just an acceptable way to write Fahlu. There are some instances of two version of words in canon. What I'm just trying to figure out is if it can be reasonably argued that Fahl (not Fahlu) does indeed mean "garden" (n/v). For reasons. :)

eta: There's also Qiilaan, n/v, "bow". I wonder if it could also be "one who has bowed/submitted". 

scrptrx
December 28, 2017

And then there's Fahliil, talked about in this locked post: https://www.thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=251

-iil- isn't always a second-person possessive (Diil, undead; Qiilaan, bow). It's hard however to think that Fahliil isn't rooted in Fahl. I'm just not convinced of the paal relation. 

In the above-linked post, someone mentions that Fahl/Fahliil could be related to Falmer and I think that's a really good point. And I like that Fahliil and Gogil (goblin) share an end-sound. If that's the case then the possessive "our" isn't correct. But we already have roots for "ice" and "snow" and "white" so Fahl isn't either of those, though it could be "pale". But that makes no sense in relation to Fahluaan

So I'm thinking Fahliil has no relation to Fahluaan and that Fahliil has no funky root and simply just means "elf" as it is without being a compound word.

by scrptrx
December 28, 2017

And then there's Fahliil, talked about in this locked post: https://www.thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=251

-iil- isn't always a second-person possessive (Diil, undead; Qiilaan, bow). It's hard however to think that Fahliil isn't rooted in Fahl. I'm just not convinced of the paal relation. 

In the above-linked post, someone mentions that Fahl/Fahliil could be related to Falmer and I think that's a really good point. And I like that Fahliil and Gogil (goblin) share an end-sound. If that's the case then the possessive "our" isn't correct. But we already have roots for "ice" and "snow" and "white" so Fahl isn't either of those, though it could be "pale". But that makes no sense in relation to Fahluaan

So I'm thinking Fahliil has no relation to Fahluaan and that Fahliil has no funky root and simply just means "elf" as it is without being a compound word.

scrptrx
December 29, 2017

(this thread is related to this one in case someone is interested)

by scrptrx
December 29, 2017

(this thread is related to this one in case someone is interested)

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2017
scrptrx

Just a thought, in traditional fantasy elves are commonly associated with nature and flora, but that really doesn't apply to Mer.

I hadn't considered fahliil possibly relating to falmer before, that's a tantalizing possibility. The sole usage of fahliil in the corpus probably portrays Snow Elves. Are there any known Ehlnofex loanwords in the dragon language? Maybe mulaag 'strength' and the Ehlnofex molag 'fire' are related. Notably, the ancient Nords originally called Skyrim "Mereth" on account of the Mer inhabiting it, though that doesn't seem to penetrate the dragon language in any way (see Keizaal).

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2017
scrptrx

Just a thought, in traditional fantasy elves are commonly associated with nature and flora, but that really doesn't apply to Mer.

I hadn't considered fahliil possibly relating to falmer before, that's a tantalizing possibility. The sole usage of fahliil in the corpus probably portrays Snow Elves. Are there any known Ehlnofex loanwords in the dragon language? Maybe mulaag 'strength' and the Ehlnofex molag 'fire' are related. Notably, the ancient Nords originally called Skyrim "Mereth" on account of the Mer inhabiting it, though that doesn't seem to penetrate the dragon language in any way (see Keizaal).

scrptrx
December 30, 2017

side note (because I was bored) to answer your question about Ehlnofex/Aldmeris:

• (EHL) Aka (dragon) – Aak (guide), Kah (proud)
  • (ALD) Dun (dark, cursed) – Dur (curse), Daan (doom)
  • (ALD) Molag (fire) – Mulaag (strength)
  • (ALD) Ne (not) – Neh (never), Ni (not)

so, not many.

by scrptrx
December 30, 2017

side note (because I was bored) to answer your question about Ehlnofex/Aldmeris:

• (EHL) Aka (dragon) – Aak (guide), Kah (proud)
  • (ALD) Dun (dark, cursed) – Dur (curse), Daan (doom)
  • (ALD) Molag (fire) – Mulaag (strength)
  • (ALD) Ne (not) – Neh (never), Ni (not)

so, not many.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.