A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discuss and Practice Writing Dovah Characters

Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
To kick this off, here is some practice writing I did yesterday:

Odahviing Flying
Odahviing was flying when a bird came too close to his jot. Chomp. The End. Or is it?

There were no thermals here to soar on; even so, flapping was as easy as ever. His eyes were not as sharp as those of an eagle or falcon who could pick out a mouse in the moving grass, but men and big game were his mice. Far below his high altitude, Odahviing saw the shapes of men walking down a path carved into the plains below. His curiosity wasn’t great enough to take a better look, so he continued onward. This hour was not for hunting, but for soaring. He cut skillfully through the turbulence, his finely-tuned wings and form making the slight adjustment necessary to keep his course and speed. Up ahead and to the left a little, he could spy a flock of geese flying in V-formation. A grin formed as he changed his course to intercept. The geese were not stupid and immediately began scattering as soon as they felt Odahviing’s presence. He turned his neck toward the nearest goose and snapped at it, missing. The poor goose honked repeatedly in distress, flying for its nearest friend, its call carrying almost as far as a dragon’s full roar. Odahviing’s grin widened further as he powered his wings to chase the goose. Instead of snapping, he overshot then immediately starting flapping his wings furious to gain altitude, the goose still in sight. When he was satisfied, he collapsed his wings to his tightened form, with tail, neck, and head straight in a line like an arrow. He plummeted forward, his slope matching the flight path of the unaware goose and his jaws wide open. It all happened quickly. The deadly bullet flashed through the sky like lightning, and with a clack of finality, the goose was gone, and no flying feathers gave evidence that it even existed… That was until, Odahviing gave a great hacking cough. The bird accidentally got stuck in his windpipe. Very ungracefully, Odahviing started falling with his wings a tumbling mess, and the ground racing up rather quickly. Hack! Hack! Finally, the bird got dislodged out of his windpipe and from his mouth, tumbling separate from the dragon as it struggled to right itself and regain his height and pride. Far below, some giants got the shock of their lives as a soggy goose landed splat in their tub of mammoth cheese, splattering it everywhere. The End!

---

After writing this, I had the thought: What would dragon everyday activities consist of?
by Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
To kick this off, here is some practice writing I did yesterday:

Odahviing Flying

Odahviing was flying when a bird came too close to his jot. Chomp. The End. Or is it?

There were no thermals here to soar on; even so, flapping was as easy as ever. His eyes were not as sharp as those of an eagle or falcon who could pick out a mouse in the moving grass, but men and big game were his mice. Far below his high altitude, Odahviing saw the shapes of men walking down a path carved into the plains below. His curiosity wasn’t great enough to take a better look, so he continued onward. This hour was not for hunting, but for soaring. He cut skillfully through the turbulence, his finely-tuned wings and form making the slight adjustment necessary to keep his course and speed. Up ahead and to the left a little, he could spy a flock of geese flying in V-formation. A grin formed as he changed his course to intercept. The geese were not stupid and immediately began scattering as soon as they felt Odahviing’s presence. He turned his neck toward the nearest goose and snapped at it, missing. The poor goose honked repeatedly in distress, flying for its nearest friend, its call carrying almost as far as a dragon’s full roar. Odahviing’s grin widened further as he powered his wings to chase the goose. Instead of snapping, he overshot then immediately starting flapping his wings furious to gain altitude, the goose still in sight. When he was satisfied, he collapsed his wings to his tightened form, with tail, neck, and head straight in a line like an arrow. He plummeted forward, his slope matching the flight path of the unaware goose and his jaws wide open. It all happened quickly. The deadly bullet flashed through the sky like lightning, and with a clack of finality, the goose was gone, and no flying feathers gave evidence that it even existed… That was until, Odahviing gave a great hacking cough. The bird accidentally got stuck in his windpipe. Very ungracefully, Odahviing started falling with his wings a tumbling mess, and the ground racing up rather quickly. Hack! Hack! Finally, the bird got dislodged out of his windpipe and from his mouth, tumbling separate from the dragon as it struggled to right itself and regain his height and pride. Far below, some giants got the shock of their lives as a soggy goose landed splat in their tub of mammoth cheese, splattering it everywhere. The End!

---

After writing this, I had the thought: What would dragon everyday activities consist of?

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 14, 2018

Hey Zin, did you mean for this thread to be for roleplaying or for discussing what a dragon's day to day is like? If the former, let's see if we can set something up in the Roleplay Forum. Otherwise maybe edit the thread title so it's clear this thread is about discussing dragon behavior rather than RP'ing.

by paarthurnax
February 14, 2018

Hey Zin, did you mean for this thread to be for roleplaying or for discussing what a dragon's day to day is like? If the former, let's see if we can set something up in the Roleplay Forum. Otherwise maybe edit the thread title so it's clear this thread is about discussing dragon behavior rather than RP'ing.

Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
I posted it here, hoping you'd see it and ask that very question! This is about understanding dovah for the purpose of writing in RPs. The intent is to help us write more accurately and with higher quality.
by Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
I posted it here, hoping you'd see it and ask that very question! This is about understanding dovah for the purpose of writing in RPs. The intent is to help us write more accurately and with higher quality.

Fronlaasfrin
February 14, 2018

Durnehviir was flying in the Soul Cairn, when he felt off. He guessed it had something to do with Valerica, possibly the Ideal Masters had gotten through the barrier. He leaned to the right, changing course for Valerica. Upon arriving in the Boneyard, he saw Valerica with two others, one who looked like Valerica, and the other, the other was different. He seemed like a dovah, but was not. Durnehviir ignored the feeling and roared to make his presence known. The three joorre looked up at him, as he landed on the wall opposite the Boneyard from them. He shouted, “Diil qoth zaam!”. A purple blast floated to the center of the Boneyard and split into smaller blasts. Those floated to small groupings of pillars and raised black skeletons. He took to the skies of the Soul Cairn once more and circled the joorre. He saw the one he identified as dov firing arrows at him. He leaned again and flew closer to the joorre, who had killed all of his black skeletons now. He stopped near the arrow-firing joor, and called, “Fo krah diin!”. He let loose a stream of frost on the joor and flew away again. But before he did this, he felt more than one arrow pierce his body. He circled once more, and landed on the ground. He felt more arrows, and again called, “Fo krah diin!”. The joor ran behind one of the stone pillars. His head appeared again here and there, but he never shot an arrow. Durnehviir felt strongly that this joor had fought a dovah before. He again called up to the sky, “Diil qoth zaam!”, to summon more bonemen. The two vampires, Valerica and the other, started fighting them, while the joor continued to fire arrows. Durnehviir begun to feel weak, and devised a plan to ensure he didn’t have to be defeated. He yelled, “Yol toor shul!” in the direction of the vampires, who took significant damage. This showed by the fact that they fell on one knee.

Then he turned to the joor, who fired an arrow. Durnehviir roared in pain. He looked back at the joor, and yelled, “Fus ro dah!”. The joor dodged it, clearly having experience against the Thu’um. The Unrelenting Force hit a large pile of bones, throwing them everywhere, including the iron helmet of the joor. He staggered forward, and Durnehviir thrust his wing into him. The joor’s face collided with his wing, and sent him flying back. The vampires had recovered a bit, and were now standing. Durnehviir again called, “Yol toor shul!”. They were hit with a wave of fire, and fell again. The joor stood, and rushed behind a stone pillar. Durnehviir called, “Fo krah diin!” and sent a large ball of frost to either side of the pillar. Upon contact with the ground, it exploded into shards of ice. The joor backed away from behind the pillar, and Durnehviir snapped his jaws. The joor was clearly becoming weaker, but he then grabbed an iron greatsword on his back with both hands and charged at Durnehviir. The joor brought the sword down on Durnehviir’s neck, opening a large cut. Durnehviir swung his wing again, but this time, the joor stood his ground. The joor swung his sword again, and it went directly across Durnehviir’s face. Durnehviir knew he was defeated, and he roared up to the sky. The joor swung once more, and felled the dovah. Durnehviir went limp and fell to the ground. His body began to burn in a purple fire, until it had completely disappeared. The next thing he knew, Durnehviir reformed outside the Boneyard as the joor was leaving. The joor saw him and reached up for his sword again. “Stay your weapons. I would speak with you, Qahnaarin.” Durnehviir said. “I thought you were dead.” The joor replied, cautiously continuing down the stairs. “Cursed, not dead. Doomed to exist in this form forever. Trapped between laas and dinok, between life and death.” Durnehviir replied. “Why are we speaking?” Qahnaarin asked. “My claws have rendered the flesh of innumerable foes, but I have never once been felled on the field of battle. I therefore honor-name you ‘Qahnaarin’, or Vanquisher in your tongue.” Durnehviir answered. “I found you equally worthy.” Qahnaarin said. “Your words do me great honor. My desire to speak with you was born from the result of our battle, Qahnaarin. I merely wish to respectfully ask a favor of you.” Durnehviir replied. “What kind of favor?” Qahnaarin asked. Durnehviir replied, “For countless years I’ve wandered the Soul Cairn, in unintended service to the Ideal Masters. Before this, I roamed the skies above Tamriel. I desire to return there.” “What’s stopping you?” Qahnaarin asked. “I fear that my time here has taken its toll upon me. I share a bond with this dreaded place. If I ventured far from the Soul Cairn, my strength would begin to wane until I was no more." Durnehviir answered. “How can I help?” Qahnaarin asked. Durnehviir replied, “I will place my name with you and grant you the right to call my name from Tamriel. Do for me this simple honor and I will fight at your side as your Grah-Zeymahzin, your Ally, and teach you my Thu'um." “Just call your name in Tamriel? That’s it?” Qahnaarin asked. “Trivial in your mind perhaps, to me, it would mean a great deal. I don't require an answer, Qahnaarin. Simply speak my name to the heavens when you feel the time is right." Qahnaarin was about to walk away, but he turned back and asked, “Why do you call me ‘Qahnaarin’?” “In my language, the Qahnaarin is the Vanquisher, the one who has bested a fellow dovah in battle." Durnehviir replied. “Fellow dovah? I’m not a dragon.” Qahnaarin corrected him. “Forgive me, my instinct was to grant you this title. I am uncertain why. Perhaps one day it will become clear to both of us." With this, Qahnaarin walked out of sight, the vampire Durnehviir didn’t know close behind.

by Fronlaasfrin
February 14, 2018

Durnehviir was flying in the Soul Cairn, when he felt off. He guessed it had something to do with Valerica, possibly the Ideal Masters had gotten through the barrier. He leaned to the right, changing course for Valerica. Upon arriving in the Boneyard, he saw Valerica with two others, one who looked like Valerica, and the other, the other was different. He seemed like a dovah, but was not. Durnehviir ignored the feeling and roared to make his presence known. The three joorre looked up at him, as he landed on the wall opposite the Boneyard from them. He shouted, “Diil qoth zaam!”. A purple blast floated to the center of the Boneyard and split into smaller blasts. Those floated to small groupings of pillars and raised black skeletons. He took to the skies of the Soul Cairn once more and circled the joorre. He saw the one he identified as dov firing arrows at him. He leaned again and flew closer to the joorre, who had killed all of his black skeletons now. He stopped near the arrow-firing joor, and called, “Fo krah diin!”. He let loose a stream of frost on the joor and flew away again. But before he did this, he felt more than one arrow pierce his body. He circled once more, and landed on the ground. He felt more arrows, and again called, “Fo krah diin!”. The joor ran behind one of the stone pillars. His head appeared again here and there, but he never shot an arrow. Durnehviir felt strongly that this joor had fought a dovah before. He again called up to the sky, “Diil qoth zaam!”, to summon more bonemen. The two vampires, Valerica and the other, started fighting them, while the joor continued to fire arrows. Durnehviir begun to feel weak, and devised a plan to ensure he didn’t have to be defeated. He yelled, “Yol toor shul!” in the direction of the vampires, who took significant damage. This showed by the fact that they fell on one knee.

Then he turned to the joor, who fired an arrow. Durnehviir roared in pain. He looked back at the joor, and yelled, “Fus ro dah!”. The joor dodged it, clearly having experience against the Thu’um. The Unrelenting Force hit a large pile of bones, throwing them everywhere, including the iron helmet of the joor. He staggered forward, and Durnehviir thrust his wing into him. The joor’s face collided with his wing, and sent him flying back. The vampires had recovered a bit, and were now standing. Durnehviir again called, “Yol toor shul!”. They were hit with a wave of fire, and fell again. The joor stood, and rushed behind a stone pillar. Durnehviir called, “Fo krah diin!” and sent a large ball of frost to either side of the pillar. Upon contact with the ground, it exploded into shards of ice. The joor backed away from behind the pillar, and Durnehviir snapped his jaws. The joor was clearly becoming weaker, but he then grabbed an iron greatsword on his back with both hands and charged at Durnehviir. The joor brought the sword down on Durnehviir’s neck, opening a large cut. Durnehviir swung his wing again, but this time, the joor stood his ground. The joor swung his sword again, and it went directly across Durnehviir’s face. Durnehviir knew he was defeated, and he roared up to the sky. The joor swung once more, and felled the dovah. Durnehviir went limp and fell to the ground. His body began to burn in a purple fire, until it had completely disappeared. The next thing he knew, Durnehviir reformed outside the Boneyard as the joor was leaving. The joor saw him and reached up for his sword again. “Stay your weapons. I would speak with you, Qahnaarin.” Durnehviir said. “I thought you were dead.” The joor replied, cautiously continuing down the stairs. “Cursed, not dead. Doomed to exist in this form forever. Trapped between laas and dinok, between life and death.” Durnehviir replied. “Why are we speaking?” Qahnaarin asked. “My claws have rendered the flesh of innumerable foes, but I have never once been felled on the field of battle. I therefore honor-name you ‘Qahnaarin’, or Vanquisher in your tongue.” Durnehviir answered. “I found you equally worthy.” Qahnaarin said. “Your words do me great honor. My desire to speak with you was born from the result of our battle, Qahnaarin. I merely wish to respectfully ask a favor of you.” Durnehviir replied. “What kind of favor?” Qahnaarin asked. Durnehviir replied, “For countless years I’ve wandered the Soul Cairn, in unintended service to the Ideal Masters. Before this, I roamed the skies above Tamriel. I desire to return there.” “What’s stopping you?” Qahnaarin asked. “I fear that my time here has taken its toll upon me. I share a bond with this dreaded place. If I ventured far from the Soul Cairn, my strength would begin to wane until I was no more." Durnehviir answered. “How can I help?” Qahnaarin asked. Durnehviir replied, “I will place my name with you and grant you the right to call my name from Tamriel. Do for me this simple honor and I will fight at your side as your Grah-Zeymahzin, your Ally, and teach you my Thu'um." “Just call your name in Tamriel? That’s it?” Qahnaarin asked. “Trivial in your mind perhaps, to me, it would mean a great deal. I don't require an answer, Qahnaarin. Simply speak my name to the heavens when you feel the time is right." Qahnaarin was about to walk away, but he turned back and asked, “Why do you call me ‘Qahnaarin’?” “In my language, the Qahnaarin is the Vanquisher, the one who has bested a fellow dovah in battle." Durnehviir replied. “Fellow dovah? I’m not a dragon.” Qahnaarin corrected him. “Forgive me, my instinct was to grant you this title. I am uncertain why. Perhaps one day it will become clear to both of us." With this, Qahnaarin walked out of sight, the vampire Durnehviir didn’t know close behind.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 14, 2018

Sorry for the confusion, Fron, if I'm not mistaken this thread isn't for RP'ing but for discussing what dragons are up to in their day to day, to help with RP'ing.

by paarthurnax
February 14, 2018

Sorry for the confusion, Fron, if I'm not mistaken this thread isn't for RP'ing but for discussing what dragons are up to in their day to day, to help with RP'ing.

Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
Im sorry, Paarth! I actually meant it for both discussion and practice. Should I have made two threads?
by Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
Im sorry, Paarth! I actually meant it for both discussion and practice. Should I have made two threads?

Hahdremro
February 14, 2018

Clarification in the thread name might help. Perhaps something closer to "Discussion of Dragon Behavior"? You can elaborate further in the thread description. Putting RP in the title of anything outside of the RP forum is somewhat confusing. I recommend editing the thread title and description accordingly when you get a chance, zul-zeymahi!

That said, the dov have no need for food, so they must have other reasons to eat and hunt. Is it some kind of instinct, or is it for entertainment purposes? Perhaps their reasoning is simply beyond our mortal comprehension! (That would be, at the very least, a good reason for Bethesda to not have to go into detail on the matter...)

by Hahdremro
February 14, 2018

Clarification in the thread name might help. Perhaps something closer to "Discussion of Dragon Behavior"? You can elaborate further in the thread description. Putting RP in the title of anything outside of the RP forum is somewhat confusing. I recommend editing the thread title and description accordingly when you get a chance, zul-zeymahi!

That said, the dov have no need for food, so they must have other reasons to eat and hunt. Is it some kind of instinct, or is it for entertainment purposes? Perhaps their reasoning is simply beyond our mortal comprehension! (That would be, at the very least, a good reason for Bethesda to not have to go into detail on the matter...)

Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
My intention is allow Paarth to move this to the RP thread. He just hasn't responded, yet.

Adjusting description...
by Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
My intention is allow Paarth to move this to the RP thread. He just hasn't responded, yet.

Adjusting description...

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 14, 2018

Got it! So the question of what dragons are up to is being explored via RP. I'll move it to the RP forum, then! Feel free to edit the RP info as needed.

by paarthurnax
February 14, 2018

Got it! So the question of what dragons are up to is being explored via RP. I'll move it to the RP forum, then! Feel free to edit the RP info as needed.

Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
thank you, Paarth!
by Zinrahzul
February 14, 2018
thank you, Paarth!

Zinrahzul
March 1, 2018

I've written a practice story featuring a character from one of the RPs and a dovah. This highlights the dominating nature of dragons in action and dialog. It features more than just basic shouts, and is a study on how an action scene might play out (in my own writing style, of course...) 

link

by Zinrahzul
March 1, 2018

I've written a practice story featuring a character from one of the RPs and a dovah. This highlights the dominating nature of dragons in action and dialog. It features more than just basic shouts, and is a study on how an action scene might play out (in my own writing style, of course...) 

link

NikkoSossedov1
June 18, 2018
Paarthurnax stood atop Monahven, Watching the Dovahkiin from afar. From this point, he could see all of Keizaal. As he watched him, he wondered, Just how much like the dov is the Dovahkiin. He certainly seeks power and respect, but is this for the fate of the world alone, or for self gain as well? The Dovahkiin walked along a bridge between dov and joorre, and it was difficult to tell which he took after more. At times, his search for the rotmulaag worried Paarthurnax. Dragons naturally hungered for power. Paaarthurnax had spent years keeping himself from the temptations, but even then... Paarthurnax decided to keep a close eye on the Dovahkiin for now.

So, what do you guys think. Some feedback would be nice.
by NikkoSossedov1
June 18, 2018
Paarthurnax stood atop Monahven, Watching the Dovahkiin from afar. From this point, he could see all of Keizaal. As he watched him, he wondered, Just how much like the dov is the Dovahkiin. He certainly seeks power and respect, but is this for the fate of the world alone, or for self gain as well? The Dovahkiin walked along a bridge between dov and joorre, and it was difficult to tell which he took after more. At times, his search for the rotmulaag worried Paarthurnax. Dragons naturally hungered for power. Paaarthurnax had spent years keeping himself from the temptations, but even then... Paarthurnax decided to keep a close eye on the Dovahkiin for now.

So, what do you guys think. Some feedback would be nice.

Zinrahzul
June 24, 2018

I remember from the game that Paarthurnax is definitely one to contemplate a lot, so you definitely have that characteristic of him. However, think about how a dovah might -physically- have such a contemplation. Reading that, it could be anyone named "Paarthurnax". Or, Paarthurnax is just perched still and not moving while thinking. There are no descriptions about Paarthurnax and his contemplation.

Here's my advice: Think about how a dovah might PHYSICALLY think. Is there slight shifting of his body while thinking about certain aspects of the Dovahkiin?

by Zinrahzul
June 24, 2018

I remember from the game that Paarthurnax is definitely one to contemplate a lot, so you definitely have that characteristic of him. However, think about how a dovah might -physically- have such a contemplation. Reading that, it could be anyone named "Paarthurnax". Or, Paarthurnax is just perched still and not moving while thinking. There are no descriptions about Paarthurnax and his contemplation.

Here's my advice: Think about how a dovah might PHYSICALLY think. Is there slight shifting of his body while thinking about certain aspects of the Dovahkiin?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.