Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Print Dictionary & Learning Dovahzul Guide

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 13, 2013

What features, changes, or additions would you like to see in future editions of the Dovahzul print dictionary or Learning Dovahzul?

by paarthurnax
November 13, 2013

What features, changes, or additions would you like to see in future editions of the Dovahzul print dictionary or Learning Dovahzul?

Crotha
November 13, 2013

Regarding the Dovahzul print dictionary:
I am not sure about the notes-section. I mean, that's basically another dictionary just with compound words or where a bit of an explanation is needed? (or maybe I got that wrong? xD)
- either way, I would compile the notes into the rest of the dictionary. I mean, why not?
"Normal" dictionaries do provide explanations sometimes.

Also, in the notes section the words are not really translated but more like "zobaas adj., nc. "baas" with the prefix "zo-"." - that's good to know, but if you want to know what "zobaas" means, you now have to look up two words: "zo-" and "baas".

(Just as a side note: maybe I got the intention of the note section completely wrong. No offense meant - I just don't see, why it should be separate)

Regarding Learning Dovahzul:
I would love to have a sort of "quick guide"-thing, e.g. at the end - just a few pages explaining everything as comprehensively as possible - to look up stuff quickly like "what the heck was the suffix for future?" - and then you just have, I don't know, three pages filled with everything xD
Also: I would _LOVE_ to have e.g. some text or, I don't know, poems and stuff written in dovahzul in the end as exercises. For now, I am looking mostly here and the ingame word walls for translating stuff for learning (although I have to say: I am not that far that I can now translate word walls really, but you know, for later xD)
I know, there are already many...maybe own pdf calld "translation-exercises" or similar with both the draconic and the english or something?

by Crotha
November 13, 2013

Regarding the Dovahzul print dictionary:
I am not sure about the notes-section. I mean, that's basically another dictionary just with compound words or where a bit of an explanation is needed? (or maybe I got that wrong? xD)
- either way, I would compile the notes into the rest of the dictionary. I mean, why not?
"Normal" dictionaries do provide explanations sometimes.

Also, in the notes section the words are not really translated but more like "zobaas adj., nc. "baas" with the prefix "zo-"." - that's good to know, but if you want to know what "zobaas" means, you now have to look up two words: "zo-" and "baas".

(Just as a side note: maybe I got the intention of the note section completely wrong. No offense meant - I just don't see, why it should be separate)

Regarding Learning Dovahzul:
I would love to have a sort of "quick guide"-thing, e.g. at the end - just a few pages explaining everything as comprehensively as possible - to look up stuff quickly like "what the heck was the suffix for future?" - and then you just have, I don't know, three pages filled with everything xD
Also: I would _LOVE_ to have e.g. some text or, I don't know, poems and stuff written in dovahzul in the end as exercises. For now, I am looking mostly here and the ingame word walls for translating stuff for learning (although I have to say: I am not that far that I can now translate word walls really, but you know, for later xD)
I know, there are already many...maybe own pdf calld "translation-exercises" or similar with both the draconic and the english or something?

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 13, 2013

Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't too sure about the inclusion of the "Notes" in the dictionary, and putting them together with the word entries sounds great. I'll have to check that the notes aren't too long.

A "quick guide" also sounds like a great idea! Things that could be on there: a pronoun table, possessive suffix table, and verb suffix table. More exercises would be doable too.

by paarthurnax
November 13, 2013

Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't too sure about the inclusion of the "Notes" in the dictionary, and putting them together with the word entries sounds great. I'll have to check that the notes aren't too long.

A "quick guide" also sounds like a great idea! Things that could be on there: a pronoun table, possessive suffix table, and verb suffix table. More exercises would be doable too.

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 15, 2013

Before I forget, I think an exercise section would be fun with something like word searches.

by paarthurnax
November 15, 2013

Before I forget, I think an exercise section would be fun with something like word searches.

Crotha
November 16, 2013

Are word searches the thing where you have scrambled letters in an area and you have to find words (horizontal, vertical, diagonal)?
Then: yes ^^
And in both dovahzul and englisch letters :D

by Crotha
November 16, 2013

Are word searches the thing where you have scrambled letters in an area and you have to find words (horizontal, vertical, diagonal)?
Then: yes ^^
And in both dovahzul and englisch letters :D

Crotha
November 16, 2013

In "learning dovahzul" - on page 34: "Good Morning" is twice listed :)

by Crotha
November 16, 2013

In "learning dovahzul" - on page 34: "Good Morning" is twice listed :)

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 11, 2013

Before I forget, a reminder to myself that I need to redo the adverbial numbers after "menid".

by paarthurnax
December 11, 2013

Before I forget, a reminder to myself that I need to redo the adverbial numbers after "menid".

Drakpa
January 7, 2014

And, what about an IPA pronounciation of words ? It would help with the "O", the "I" and the final "E" which can have two different pronunciations. I can help a bit if needed.

by Drakpa
January 7, 2014

And, what about an IPA pronounciation of words ? It would help with the "O", the "I" and the final "E" which can have two different pronunciations. I can help a bit if needed.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 7, 2014
Drakpa

Yes, that would be a good addition! Here's a list I've put together: any changes you'd make?

by paarthurnax
January 7, 2014
Drakpa

Yes, that would be a good addition! Here's a list I've put together: any changes you'd make?

Drakpa
January 7, 2014

Concerning the "AH", and more precisely the german "ch", I think it should be precised if it's /ç/ (between /h/ and /ʃ/) or /x/ like the spanish "j" in "jota" (and I think this precision about the /x/ should be added as explaination of how to pronounce the "Q").
And adding this table to the Learning Dovahzul Guide would help people how know IPA.

Oh, talking about this guide, in the fifth exercice page 15, it is asked to translate "The Sword of the Queens is her" and in the correction, "Queens" is translated by "jud". But as "Queens" is plural, it should be "judde", no? Or maybe I missed some rule.

by Drakpa
January 7, 2014

Concerning the "AH", and more precisely the german "ch", I think it should be precised if it's /ç/ (between /h/ and /ʃ/) or /x/ like the spanish "j" in "jota" (and I think this precision about the /x/ should be added as explaination of how to pronounce the "Q").
And adding this table to the Learning Dovahzul Guide would help people how know IPA.

Oh, talking about this guide, in the fifth exercice page 15, it is asked to translate "The Sword of the Queens is her" and in the correction, "Queens" is translated by "jud". But as "Queens" is plural, it should be "judde", no? Or maybe I missed some rule.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 7, 2014

Thanks! That could be my mistake. Plural rules aren't strict so "jud" could mean both "queen" and "queens" but for the sake of an exercise it would be better for me to spell it out as "judde".

by paarthurnax
January 7, 2014

Thanks! That could be my mistake. Plural rules aren't strict so "jud" could mean both "queen" and "queens" but for the sake of an exercise it would be better for me to spell it out as "judde".

Drakpa
January 7, 2014
paarthurnax

Plural rules aren't strict so "jud" could mean both "queen" and "queens".

Or just saying this in the lesson could be alright, I think.

by Drakpa
January 7, 2014
paarthurnax

Plural rules aren't strict so "jud" could mean both "queen" and "queens".

Or just saying this in the lesson could be alright, I think.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.