Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

AE

DovahKiinZaan
March 25, 2018

'AE' is only known to appear in one word, that word being 'Mahfaeraak'. For that reason it is generally assumed to have been a mistake. I posted a question on the question board asking how we know it is a mistake, and I got directed to the forums because it is a better place to discuss.

How do we know that 'AE' isn't just a super rare occurence, like double-n's in English words? 

by DovahKiinZaan
March 25, 2018

'AE' is only known to appear in one word, that word being 'Mahfaeraak'. For that reason it is generally assumed to have been a mistake. I posted a question on the question board asking how we know it is a mistake, and I got directed to the forums because it is a better place to discuss.

How do we know that 'AE' isn't just a super rare occurence, like double-n's in English words? 

ntoskrnl
March 25, 2018

Mind me asking what you think it should be? I don't really think it's a mistake, but interpretations do vary.

by ntoskrnl
March 25, 2018

Mind me asking what you think it should be? I don't really think it's a mistake, but interpretations do vary.

DovahKiinZaan
March 25, 2018
@ntoskrnl an accepted letter combination. Back during the days when you could post words it was implied that the use of 'ae' in mahfaeraak was a mistake.
by DovahKiinZaan
March 25, 2018
@ntoskrnl an accepted letter combination. Back during the days when you could post words it was implied that the use of 'ae' in mahfaeraak was a mistake.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 26, 2018

'AE' and 'ey' share the same pronunciation, and 'ey' has a dedicated rune, so it's always preferable.

My take on mahfaeraak is that Bethesda made that specific word before they had all their vowels set in stone. It appears in the "Song of the Dragonborn", which was one of the first, if not the first thing Bethesda wrote in the dragon language. Afterwards they got their vowels sorted out and either didn't feel the need to change mahfaeraak or couldn't because it already appeared in some early promotional material for the game.

From an in-universe perspective, we can certainly consider "ae" to be a rare spelling and not necessarily a mistake. Maybe it comes from an ancient Nordic word and something got lost in transliteration.

by paarthurnax
March 26, 2018

'AE' and 'ey' share the same pronunciation, and 'ey' has a dedicated rune, so it's always preferable.

My take on mahfaeraak is that Bethesda made that specific word before they had all their vowels set in stone. It appears in the "Song of the Dragonborn", which was one of the first, if not the first thing Bethesda wrote in the dragon language. Afterwards they got their vowels sorted out and either didn't feel the need to change mahfaeraak or couldn't because it already appeared in some early promotional material for the game.

From an in-universe perspective, we can certainly consider "ae" to be a rare spelling and not necessarily a mistake. Maybe it comes from an ancient Nordic word and something got lost in transliteration.

NikkoSossedov1
June 13, 2018
It literally has this in the Learn Dovahzul thing this site has. Am I the only one who went there?
by NikkoSossedov1
June 13, 2018
It literally has this in the Learn Dovahzul thing this site has. Am I the only one who went there?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.