Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul Dialects/Accents

Loniizrath
November 14, 2013

This has been a popular topic on the Community Wall for quite a while, so I thought I'd make a thread on the topic for further disscussion. The question is: could dragons have different accents/dialects of dovahzul depending on where they are from? And if so, could they still use the Thu'um like other dragons?

by Loniizrath
November 14, 2013

This has been a popular topic on the Community Wall for quite a while, so I thought I'd make a thread on the topic for further disscussion. The question is: could dragons have different accents/dialects of dovahzul depending on where they are from? And if so, could they still use the Thu'um like other dragons?

Lithiumwarhad
November 14, 2013

okay so I read up on the wall part and humans aren't meant to handle the thu'um but dragons were created with it as a sole weapon for survival. Dragons have had centuries to fully master it and yes the graybeards cause collateral damage when they speak because even though they've been practicing all their lives they still haven't had enough time to master is. Like when you use unrelenting force it makes you shake a bit. But the main point it evolution gave dragons that capability to speak normally. This is my opinion that I got from playing and adding up the facts. 

by Lithiumwarhad
November 14, 2013

okay so I read up on the wall part and humans aren't meant to handle the thu'um but dragons were created with it as a sole weapon for survival. Dragons have had centuries to fully master it and yes the graybeards cause collateral damage when they speak because even though they've been practicing all their lives they still haven't had enough time to master is. Like when you use unrelenting force it makes you shake a bit. But the main point it evolution gave dragons that capability to speak normally. This is my opinion that I got from playing and adding up the facts. 

AxeTheBarbarian
November 14, 2013

The Dov are immortal and have always been. They didn't evolve and don't reproduce as all were created by Akatosh. The power of speech is innate to them so I find it unlikely that there would be accents amongst them when it comes to their own language. There is a noticable accent when speaking english and it varies on an indiviual basis, the most noticable being Odahving.

by AxeTheBarbarian
November 14, 2013

The Dov are immortal and have always been. They didn't evolve and don't reproduce as all were created by Akatosh. The power of speech is innate to them so I find it unlikely that there would be accents amongst them when it comes to their own language. There is a noticable accent when speaking english and it varies on an indiviual basis, the most noticable being Odahving.

JoorSil
November 19, 2013

Maybe instead of having different accents and dialects for dragons, have it to where when they speak english or whatever language that is not their own, they speak different dialects of that language. like the difference between American English, British English, and Australian english. not to mention other types. So, when some dragons Dovazhul(?) is translated to english, its meaning changes. as in The difference between Gas(meaning petroleum) in america and Petroleum(meaning gas) in england

by JoorSil
November 19, 2013

Maybe instead of having different accents and dialects for dragons, have it to where when they speak english or whatever language that is not their own, they speak different dialects of that language. like the difference between American English, British English, and Australian english. not to mention other types. So, when some dragons Dovazhul(?) is translated to english, its meaning changes. as in The difference between Gas(meaning petroleum) in america and Petroleum(meaning gas) in england

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.