Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Tattoo translation

[deleted]
June 14, 2018

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for someone to help me translate a sentance into the Dovahzul letters/runes. Me and my gf are looking to get ourselves a tattoo on our forearm saying something along the lines of "I will see/meet you in Sovngarde" or "I'll see/meet you in Sovngarde" Don't know if you can shorten "I will" like that tho. See/meet is fine either one. I feel like "meet" has more feeling to it but I don't know.

I don't know if the language has the word "Valhall". I guess the language is inspired by Norse mythology? Feels like it since I'm from Sweden. Anyway, if there are symbols/runes for "Valhall" I would be a happy dude! Prefrably only canon words, but I guess the chance is small on that one. So I guess the word Valhall would have to be non-cannon.

I downloaded the Dovahzul font but I don't know if it's correct when I am typing "I will see you in Sovngarde" if the runes are correct I mean? 

So to summarize, a tattoo on our forearm saying either of the following ones:

"I will see you in Sovngarde"
"I will meet you in Sovngarde"
"I will see you in Valhall"
"I will meet you in Valhall"

Or maybe replacing the " I " with the shortened word " I'll " if it helps make the tattoo smaller.

Just a last note, we have both played through the game several times and we love it! Also, why are we making this tattoo? To have something unique for our tattoo instead of the classic asian symbols... And why not make it from our favorite game which we love? :)

Have a great day and I hope someone can help me.
I realized this post became a bit long but if you need more info to help me just let me know!

Thanks xoxo! :D

by [deleted]
June 14, 2018

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for someone to help me translate a sentance into the Dovahzul letters/runes. Me and my gf are looking to get ourselves a tattoo on our forearm saying something along the lines of "I will see/meet you in Sovngarde" or "I'll see/meet you in Sovngarde" Don't know if you can shorten "I will" like that tho. See/meet is fine either one. I feel like "meet" has more feeling to it but I don't know.

I don't know if the language has the word "Valhall". I guess the language is inspired by Norse mythology? Feels like it since I'm from Sweden. Anyway, if there are symbols/runes for "Valhall" I would be a happy dude! Prefrably only canon words, but I guess the chance is small on that one. So I guess the word Valhall would have to be non-cannon.

I downloaded the Dovahzul font but I don't know if it's correct when I am typing "I will see you in Sovngarde" if the runes are correct I mean? 

So to summarize, a tattoo on our forearm saying either of the following ones:

"I will see you in Valhall"
"I will meet you in Valhall"

Or maybe replacing the " I " with the shortened word " I'll " if it helps make the tattoo smaller.

Just a last note, we have both played through the game several times and we love it! Also, why are we making this tattoo? To have something unique for our tattoo instead of the classic asian symbols... And why not make it from our favorite game which we love? :)

Have a great day and I hope someone can help me.
I realized this post became a bit long but if you need more info to help me just let me know!

Thanks xoxo! :D

Hahdremro
June 15, 2018

This is a great idea for a couples' tattoo! I'll do what I can to help you out with this.

Sovngarde is essentially the Nord version of Valhall/Valhalla, so there's not really a word for Valhalla itself in this language. You could simply use the word anyway without translating it, but I personally think it would be better to stick with the Skyrim version of it.

I'd advise translating the phrase into Dovahzul itself, which would be pretty easy, since all the words you're using have direct translations in the language. The English words themselves wouldn't look as good in Dovah runes anyway, since the repeating letters ("sEE," "mEEt," "wiLL") would look awkward in runes. Instead, here are a few possible translations for you:

[Zu'u fen koraav hi ko Sovngarde]
Zu'u fen koraav hi ko Sovngarde

[Zu'u fen grind hi ko Sovngarde]
Zu'u fen grind hi ko Sovngarde

You can shorten it a bit, if you want. Maybe we can rephrase it a bit:

[Mu fen grind ko Sovngarde]
Mu fent grind ko Sovngarde
"We shall meet in Sovngarde"

That's shorter, and in my opinion, more fitting in a few ways. Not only does it look better in runes, but it also shows the connection between you and your girlfriend. It's not "me" and "you;" it's "we," as it should be with such a relationship. Sorry to get personal there, but I think it's a beautiful concept, and I'm a sap for romantic stuff like that.

Plus, the use of fent rather than fen implies that you will be the ones making it happen, that you will have direct influence over such an outcome. That's an empowering concept, which is fitting for something a Nord would say! 

Also, that last translation could be separated into two lines, one on top of the other, which would be roughly even in size:

[Mu fent grind]
[Ko Sovngarde]

That's pretty aesthetically pleasing, if I do say so myself. Just a suggestion. Since you're getting the tattoo on your arms, you might want it all on one line. That's totally your call, of course. Just throwing around some ideas for you.

If you do get this tattoo, feel free to show it off here! We love seeing the end result of things like this! You should probably show us a sketch or plan first, though, to make sure you've got everything just the way you'll want it.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Dovahzul uses what are known as "digraphs," or symbols that represent two letters put together, such as [AH] for AH and [IR] for IR. On this site, everything written in square brackets becomes Dragon Language runes, but for the Dragon Language font, these digraphs are mapped to the numbers. However, I just checked, and none of the letters are digraphs in that final translated phrase I gave you. If you decide to go with Zu'u fen koraav hi ko Sovngard, though, you'll need to find the numbers that correspond to the U'U rune ([U'U]) and the AA rune ([AA]) to type that correctly. (I still think Mu fent grind ko Sovngarde is the best translation I gave you, though!)

by Hahdremro
June 15, 2018

This is a great idea for a couples' tattoo! I'll do what I can to help you out with this.

Sovngarde is essentially the Nord version of Valhall/Valhalla, so there's not really a word for Valhalla itself in this language. You could simply use the word anyway without translating it, but I personally think it would be better to stick with the Skyrim version of it.

I'd advise translating the phrase into Dovahzul itself, which would be pretty easy, since all the words you're using have direct translations in the language. The English words themselves wouldn't look as good in Dovah runes anyway, since the repeating letters ("sEE," "mEEt," "wiLL") would look awkward in runes. Instead, here are a few possible translations for you:

That's shorter, and in my opinion, more fitting in a few ways. Not only does it look better in runes, but it also shows the connection between you and your girlfriend. It's not "me" and "you;" it's "we," as it should be with such a relationship. Sorry to get personal there, but I think it's a beautiful concept, and I'm a sap for romantic stuff like that.

Plus, the use of fent rather than fen implies that you will be the ones making it happen, that you will have direct influence over such an outcome. That's an empowering concept, which is fitting for something a Nord would say! 

Also, that last translation could be separated into two lines, one on top of the other, which would be roughly even in size:

[Mu fent grind]
[Ko Sovngarde]

That's pretty aesthetically pleasing, if I do say so myself. Just a suggestion. Since you're getting the tattoo on your arms, you might want it all on one line. That's totally your call, of course. Just throwing around some ideas for you.

If you do get this tattoo, feel free to show it off here! We love seeing the end result of things like this! You should probably show us a sketch or plan first, though, to make sure you've got everything just the way you'll want it.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Dovahzul uses what are known as "digraphs," or symbols that represent two letters put together, such as [AH] for AH and [IR] for IR. On this site, everything written in square brackets becomes Dragon Language runes, but for the Dragon Language font, these digraphs are mapped to the numbers. However, I just checked, and none of the letters are digraphs in that final translated phrase I gave you. If you decide to go with Zu'u fen koraav hi ko Sovngard, though, you'll need to find the numbers that correspond to the U'U rune ([U'U]) and the AA rune ([AA]) to type that correctly. (I still think Mu fent grind ko Sovngarde is the best translation I gave you, though!)

[deleted]
June 17, 2018
Hahdremro

[Mu fent grind]
[Ko Sovngarde]

Hope this helps!

Wow, what can I say? I never expected this kind of help. But you exceeded my expectations by miles! Me and my gf thanks you a bunch! 

I also agree with you that "We shall meet in Sovngarde" is a way better translation. Why didn't I think of this? haha. Oh well, sometimes you can't see the stuff that's right in front of you.

I will definitely post links to images here once the tattoos are done! Might take some time since the waiting times for our favorite tattoo artist we're going to are quite long. But I will save this post in my favorites and I will put a reminder in my calendar to post images here once we get our appointments booked so I can post the images on the same day.

Once again, we really do appreciate your help in this. Thank you soooo much from both of us! Have a great day my friend!

xoxox :)

EDIT: Also, I gave you 15 gold here on the website, that's all I had. As a thank you from us! I don't really know what they are for but hey, it's something! :) Thanks again!

by [deleted]
June 17, 2018
Hahdremro

[Mu fent grind]
[Ko Sovngarde]

Hope this helps!

Wow, what can I say? I never expected this kind of help. But you exceeded my expectations by miles! Me and my gf thanks you a bunch! 

I also agree with you that "We shall meet in Sovngarde" is a way better translation. Why didn't I think of this? haha. Oh well, sometimes you can't see the stuff that's right in front of you.

I will definitely post links to images here once the tattoos are done! Might take some time since the waiting times for our favorite tattoo artist we're going to are quite long. But I will save this post in my favorites and I will put a reminder in my calendar to post images here once we get our appointments booked so I can post the images on the same day.

Once again, we really do appreciate your help in this. Thank you soooo much from both of us! Have a great day my friend!

EDIT: Also, I gave you 15 gold here on the website, that's all I had. As a thank you from us! I don't really know what they are for but hey, it's something! :) Thanks again!

Hahdremro
July 2, 2018
CrabSeal

Glad I could help so much! It's good to know that my knowledge of this obscure language is going to some use for once. I'm looking forward to seeing that tattoo once it's finished! :D

by Hahdremro
July 2, 2018
CrabSeal

Glad I could help so much! It's good to know that my knowledge of this obscure language is going to some use for once. I'm looking forward to seeing that tattoo once it's finished! :D

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.