Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Nefeliim or lotiik, or mahlaniik

laaniiksedov
July 16, 2018

so I am currently working on a translation of the Bible in Dovahzul using the legacy dictionary. And I am translating from the Hebrew. The verse is Genesis 6:4. The Hebrew word is ?ha-nephiliym? which is translated in several ways, generally relating to the Hebrew word ?la-nefil? meaning ?to fall? either meaning ?they who fall upon their enemies? or ?they who have fallen? they also seem to use the word to mean ?giants?. My question is for dovah, which should I use? Transliteration ?nefiliim?? Or loan translation, ?hotte?, ?mahlaanikke?, or ?mahikke??

?

by laaniiksedov
July 16, 2018

so I am currently working on a translation of the Bible in Dovahzul using the legacy dictionary. And I am translating from the Hebrew. The verse is Genesis 6:4. The Hebrew word is ?ha-nephiliym? which is translated in several ways, generally relating to the Hebrew word ?la-nefil? meaning ?to fall? either meaning ?they who fall upon their enemies? or ?they who have fallen? they also seem to use the word to mean ?giants?. My question is for dovah, which should I use? Transliteration ?nefiliim?? Or loan translation, ?hotte?, ?mahlaanikke?, or ?mahikke??

?

Liis
Administrator
July 16, 2018
Can you explain more about the meaning of "they who fall upon their enemies" please?
by Liis
July 16, 2018
Can you explain more about the meaning of "they who fall upon their enemies" please?

laaniiksedov
July 16, 2018
@Liis to Fall upon means to attack.
by laaniiksedov
July 16, 2018
@Liis to Fall upon means to attack.

laaniiksedov
July 16, 2018
Here's how I've currently translated the verse in question:
Runic:
[Nefiliim lost ko gol ko daar sulle, ahrk mindin daar ahk, fod kulle do Ra meyz wah monne do jul, ahrk nust kiin kiir wah niin, Nust lost zoklot muz do lein.]
Roman:
"Nefiliim lost ko gol ko daar sulle, ahrk mindin daar ahk, fod kulle do Ra meyz wah monne do jul, ahrk nust kiin kiir wah niin, Nust lost zoklot muz do lein."
by laaniiksedov
July 16, 2018
Here's how I've currently translated the verse in question:

Runic:

[Nefiliim lost ko gol ko daar sulle, ahrk mindin daar ahk, fod kulle do Ra meyz wah monne do jul, ahrk nust kiin kiir wah niin, Nust lost zoklot muz do lein.]

Roman:

"Nefiliim lost ko gol ko daar sulle, ahrk mindin daar ahk, fod kulle do Ra meyz wah monne do jul, ahrk nust kiin kiir wah niin, Nust lost zoklot muz do lein."

Liis
Administrator
July 16, 2018
I personally think it's fine to leave it as "Nefiliim".
by Liis
July 16, 2018
I personally think it's fine to leave it as "Nefiliim".

Zinrahzul
July 19, 2018
Oh wow, I'm glad I came across this. I agree with Liis, especially since it's a Hebrew-specific title given to them, even if they're giants.

by Zinrahzul
July 19, 2018
Oh wow, I'm glad I came across this. I agree with Liis, especially since it's a Hebrew-specific title given to them, even if they're giants.

laaniiksedov
July 23, 2018
Zinrahzul

Kogaan! I ended up going with transliteration.

by laaniiksedov
July 23, 2018
Zinrahzul

Kogaan! I ended up going with transliteration.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.