Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Questions about the Grey Beards

DoctorParadox
October 5, 2018

My Question being, could the grey beards hear, sense, or feel a dragonborn if they were outside of skyrim? I don't actually know how the Grey Beards found out the dragonborn was around, i assumed they heard the powerful thu'um or maybe sensed the dragon soul being consumed. So i thought my question need answering like could the Grey Beards hear a dragonborn that was well born in say Black Marsh or Elsweyr? Because i at least know that the dragonborn does not need to be "Dragonnord"... ok enough puns for me. 

by DoctorParadox
October 5, 2018

My Question being, could the grey beards hear, sense, or feel a dragonborn if they were outside of skyrim? I don't actually know how the Grey Beards found out the dragonborn was around, i assumed they heard the powerful thu'um or maybe sensed the dragon soul being consumed. So i thought my question need answering like could the Grey Beards hear a dragonborn that was well born in say Black Marsh or Elsweyr? Because i at least know that the dragonborn does not need to be "Dragonnord"... ok enough puns for me. 

[deleted]
October 7, 2018
So, the Greybeards probably heard the thuum. In that case, they might not hear it in Black Marsh, but maybe in Eastern High Rock, Western Morrowind, or Northern Cyrodiil. However, the thuum is much more powerful in lore than in game, and it says that Skyrim trembles, and great storms form when the Greybeards speak, as well as the fact that masters wore gags because even a word could kill someone. So maybe in lore. But I doubt it, it would probably have to be closer. You should also remember that provinces' borders don't dictate anything other than political and sometimes cultural changes. So it just wouldn't make sense if the Greybeards couldn't reach even a little bit over the border. Ven aak hei.
by [deleted]
October 7, 2018
So, the Greybeards probably heard the thuum. In that case, they might not hear it in Black Marsh, but maybe in Eastern High Rock, Western Morrowind, or Northern Cyrodiil. However, the thuum is much more powerful in lore than in game, and it says that Skyrim trembles, and great storms form when the Greybeards speak, as well as the fact that masters wore gags because even a word could kill someone. So maybe in lore. But I doubt it, it would probably have to be closer. You should also remember that provinces' borders don't dictate anything other than political and sometimes cultural changes. So it just wouldn't make sense if the Greybeards couldn't reach even a little bit over the border. Ven aak hei.

DoctorParadox
October 10, 2018

Thanks for the answer, of course i knew that borders are all political. I mean it would be silly if the provinces were seperated by say, a giant fence that spanned the entire borders. I was more using the province as a reference of distance.

by DoctorParadox
October 10, 2018

Thanks for the answer, of course i knew that borders are all political. I mean it would be silly if the provinces were seperated by say, a giant fence that spanned the entire borders. I was more using the province as a reference of distance.

Sonaak Kroinlah
October 12, 2018

I think it would depend on how powerful the individual greybeard was and how far away the dovahkiin was exactly. We know that they can sense the thu'um from word walls and provide the location (lore wise it would probably be less exact than in game) so I think there is a good chance they could, yes. Although perhaps the greater the distance the fainter the signal.

by Sonaak Kroinlah
October 12, 2018

I think it would depend on how powerful the individual greybeard was and how far away the dovahkiin was exactly. We know that they can sense the thu'um from word walls and provide the location (lore wise it would probably be less exact than in game) so I think there is a good chance they could, yes. Although perhaps the greater the distance the fainter the signal.

Fusdoiiz
January 17, 2019

I believe that their connection to the Dragonborn comes from [Kaan] herself, as the Greybeards have almost become one with her...

...and by 'become one with her,' I don't mean...

by Fusdoiiz
January 17, 2019

I believe that their connection to the Dragonborn comes from [Kaan] herself, as the Greybeards have almost become one with her...

...and by 'become one with her,' I don't mean...

Onikvulzii
March 8, 2019

yeah i think its less of the sound and more of a sence

by Onikvulzii
March 8, 2019

yeah i think its less of the sound and more of a sence

atomicgamer
April 8, 2019

we all agree the greybeards to be confusing. but am i the only one who thinks they're a bit crazy about thier dragon friend?

by atomicgamer
April 8, 2019

we all agree the greybeards to be confusing. but am i the only one who thinks they're a bit crazy about thier dragon friend?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.