Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translating "What are you doing"

Kulrathfiik
December 21, 2018

I am not sure how this would be translated in a way that makes much sense. "Paaz lok" for how are you... are there any words to formulate "What are you doing?" A friend suggested, "Piraak hi naan drehhe nu" (Have you any doings/actions now). I am curious to know what other people think.

by Kulrathfiik
December 21, 2018

I am not sure how this would be translated in a way that makes much sense. "Paaz lok" for how are you... are there any words to formulate "What are you doing?" A friend suggested, "Piraak hi naan drehhe nu" (Have you any doings/actions now). I am curious to know what other people think.

Zinrahzul
December 24, 2018
That one suggestion from your friend is on the right track. Because canon Dovahzul doesn't use words for what, why, and how, we have to use alternates. These can be divided into questions and commands (that take the place of questions). We basically have this freedom because the game doesn't give us in-depth usage for the language besides writings specifically carved to mark interesting dead, or dragons speaking in certain situations."

For example:

"Are you doing anything (good, exciting, etc.?)"
"Dreh hi naan pruzah/balaan do frin?"
"Piraak hi naan heyv/ahmik?" (duty, obligation, service)

"Any deeds today?" (playing off of Nord culture of heroic deeds)
"Naan sodde/drehhe daar sul?"

"Talk about what you will do."
"Tinvaak (do) hin drehhe."

"Talk about your day/duties."
"Tinvaak (do) hin sul/heyvve."

by Zinrahzul
December 24, 2018
That one suggestion from your friend is on the right track. Because canon Dovahzul doesn't use words for what, why, and how, we have to use alternates. These can be divided into questions and commands (that take the place of questions). We basically have this freedom because the game doesn't give us in-depth usage for the language besides writings specifically carved to mark interesting dead, or dragons speaking in certain situations."

For example:

"Are you doing anything (good, exciting, etc.?)"

"Dreh hi naan pruzah/balaan do frin?"

"Piraak hi naan heyv/ahmik?" (duty, obligation, service)

"Any deeds today?" (playing off of Nord culture of heroic deeds)

"Naan sodde/drehhe daar sul?"

"Talk about what you will do."

"Tinvaak (do) hin drehhe."

"Talk about your day/duties."

"Tinvaak (do) hin sul/heyvve."

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.