Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul Ranknames

laaniiksedov
April 11, 2019

I've been looking at this idea for a while. I've noticed that when it comes to rank names in Dovahzul, the language is extremely lacking.

Let's see: Okaazin, Kinbokein, Ruveyzun, and that's it.

I look at Ruveyzun as chiefly naval. Seeing as "Veysun" means ship. So more accurately Ruveyzun should be "Skipper".

So I've actually compiled my ideas for rank names in dovahzul in a nice little alphabetical list:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ap-vHPelh3YcoL0Kl-u860F96yZiRQ

A few notes:

Klovilen<<Kloviilen from Klov + -iil (of or pertaining to) + -en (of or originating from)

Kinbokrotin from Kinbokrot + In

Qurneniik comes from the fact that a flag (ensign) is sometimes referred to as a standard

Geltreiniik comes from Cornet in that I see Geltreiniik as "He who Holds the Horn".

I would have done Qurnenin and Geltreinin but repetitive consonants annoy me after a point, so I decided to use -iik instead.

Staaziik is kind of a bit of an odd one. Staaz means Harbor. I kind of like to think of it also meaning to protect. So protector is a decent way to translate Staaziik.

Both Corporal and Sergeant originate from Cavalry ranks Bombardier and the dutch cavalry rank of Wachtmeester Literally translating as "Watch-Master"

by laaniiksedov
April 11, 2019

I've been looking at this idea for a while. I've noticed that when it comes to rank names in Dovahzul, the language is extremely lacking.

Let's see: Okaazin, Kinbokein, Ruveyzun, and that's it.

I look at Ruveyzun as chiefly naval. Seeing as "Veysun" means ship. So more accurately Ruveyzun should be "Skipper".

So I've actually compiled my ideas for rank names in dovahzul in a nice little alphabetical list:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ap-vHPelh3YcoL0Kl-u860F96yZiRQ

A few notes:

Klovilen<<Kloviilen from Klov + -iil (of or pertaining to) + -en (of or originating from)

Kinbokrotin from Kinbokrot + In

Qurneniik comes from the fact that a flag (ensign) is sometimes referred to as a standard

Geltreiniik comes from Cornet in that I see Geltreiniik as "He who Holds the Horn".

I would have done Qurnenin and Geltreinin but repetitive consonants annoy me after a point, so I decided to use -iik instead.

Staaziik is kind of a bit of an odd one. Staaz means Harbor. I kind of like to think of it also meaning to protect. So protector is a decent way to translate Staaziik.

Both Corporal and Sergeant originate from Cavalry ranks Bombardier and the dutch cavalry rank of Wachtmeester Literally translating as "Watch-Master"

Zinrahzul
April 14, 2019
Interesting project. I see you are using the Legacy vocabulary in your names. I guess for now my response is that the vocabulary we have is what the game or official guides give us, therefore you don't see modern military ranks. I like how you're using some of the background of the ranks in your translation decision.
by Zinrahzul
April 14, 2019
Interesting project. I see you are using the Legacy vocabulary in your names. I guess for now my response is that the vocabulary we have is what the game or official guides give us, therefore you don't see modern military ranks. I like how you're using some of the background of the ranks in your translation decision.

laaniiksedov
April 27, 2019
Zinrahzul

[Drem Yol Lok] Zinrahzul, I understand that parthurnax has made the decision to move away from the "Legacy Dictionary". However, If I could point out as an avid linguistics aficionado--A language is defined as "an agreed upon system of symbols, sounds, and/or gestures used to convey meaning" Thus, by Parthurnax agreeing to put those words on this site, he is agreeing that they are a part of this language. So, while I understand his reasons, I have to disagree with this move. Until someone completely deletes it, I will consider the full legacy dictionary as the current lexicon for dovahzul and continue to add to that where I can.

by laaniiksedov
April 27, 2019
Zinrahzul

[Drem Yol Lok] Zinrahzul, I understand that parthurnax has made the decision to move away from the "Legacy Dictionary". However, If I could point out as an avid linguistics aficionado--A language is defined as "an agreed upon system of symbols, sounds, and/or gestures used to convey meaning" Thus, by Parthurnax agreeing to put those words on this site, he is agreeing that they are a part of this language. So, while I understand his reasons, I have to disagree with this move. Until someone completely deletes it, I will consider the full legacy dictionary as the current lexicon for dovahzul and continue to add to that where I can.

Liis
April 27, 2019
@laaniiksedov,

I like Legacy too, but here's some advice: try studying canon vocabulary enough to know where to replace obsolete non-canon vocabulary with canon in order to preserve the uniqueness of the language instead of treating it like an English cypher, like a lot of Legacy did. Also, unfortunately, you cannot "add" anything to the Legacy Dictionary: it is locked and static, and will not be changed in any way, as it is officially unsupported.
by Liis
April 27, 2019
@laaniiksedov,

I like Legacy too, but here's some advice: try studying canon vocabulary enough to know where to replace obsolete non-canon vocabulary with canon in order to preserve the uniqueness of the language instead of treating it like an English cypher, like a lot of Legacy did. Also, unfortunately, you cannot "add" anything to the Legacy Dictionary: it is locked and static, and will not be changed in any way, as it is officially unsupported.

laaniiksedov
April 28, 2019
Liis
@laaniiksedov, I like Legacy too, but here's some advice: try studying canon vocabulary enough to know where to replace obsolete non-canon vocabulary with canon in order to preserve the uniqueness of the language instead of treating it like an English cypher, like a lot of Legacy did. Also, unfortunately, you cannot "add" anything to the Legacy Dictionary: it is locked and static, and will not be changed in any way, as it is officially unsupported.

I understand that I can't get my additions documented on this site, but I'm going to continue to try and discuss those words that I think of and create on here anyway.  As for your suggestion, looking at the new canon dictionary, the 600 canon words will start to lose their own meaning and substance if we just try to plaster on additional meanings. Which is why I disagree with Parthurnax on this particular issue. I'm not saying that I personally agree with all the words created in Legacy, but at least they allow more depth of meaning and accurate translation than just using the 600 canon words.

by laaniiksedov
April 28, 2019
Liis
@laaniiksedov, I like Legacy too, but here's some advice: try studying canon vocabulary enough to know where to replace obsolete non-canon vocabulary with canon in order to preserve the uniqueness of the language instead of treating it like an English cypher, like a lot of Legacy did. Also, unfortunately, you cannot "add" anything to the Legacy Dictionary: it is locked and static, and will not be changed in any way, as it is officially unsupported.

I understand that I can't get my additions documented on this site, but I'm going to continue to try and discuss those words that I think of and create on here anyway.  As for your suggestion, looking at the new canon dictionary, the 600 canon words will start to lose their own meaning and substance if we just try to plaster on additional meanings. Which is why I disagree with Parthurnax on this particular issue. I'm not saying that I personally agree with all the words created in Legacy, but at least they allow more depth of meaning and accurate translation than just using the 600 canon words.

Liis
April 28, 2019
@laaniiksedov,

That's why you should use your own judgement, as my earlier post conveyed.
by Liis
April 28, 2019
@laaniiksedov,

That's why you should use your own judgement, as my earlier post conveyed.

laaniiksedov
April 30, 2019

So then, let's try this Based on the Israeli Defense Forces Ranks:

[Lot Kaal Diist Uth] lot kaal diist uth-General (an extrapolation of rav aluf-meaning Lieutenant General)

[Lot Kaal] lot kaal-Lieutenant General (from the IDF rank mentioned above)

[Kaal] kaal-Major General (from the IDF rank aluf)

[Tum Kaal] tum kaal-Brigadier General (from the IDF rank tat aluf)

[Ziist Kaal] ziist kaal-Colonel (from the IDF rank aluf mishne) 

[Qolaas Kaal] qolaas kaal-Lieutenant Colonel

[Lot Kulaan] lot kulaan-Major (From IDF rank rav seren)

[Kulaan] kulaan-Captain (From IDF rank seren)

[Qolaas] qolaas-Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Deputy

[Ziist Qolaas] ziist qolaas-Second Lieutenant

[Lot Vahlok] lot vahlok-Chief Warrant Officer

[Ziist Lot Vahlok] ziist lot vahlok-Warrant Officer

[Wuth Lot Deinmaar do Lahvu] wuth lot deinmaar do lahvu-Sergeant Major of the Army

[Wuth Lot Deinmaar] wuth lot deinmaar- Command Sergeant Major

[Pruzaan Lot Deinmaar] pruzaan lot deinmaar- Sergeant Major

[Lot Deinmaar Diist Uth] lot deinmaar diist uth- Master Sergeant

[Lot Deinmaar] lot deinmaar-Sergeant First Class

[Deinmaar Diist Uth] deinmaar diist Uth-Staff Sergeant

[Deinmaar] deinmaar-Sergeant

[Tum Deinmaar] tum deinmaar-Corporal

[Lot Kendov] lot kendov-Private First Class

[Kendov] kendov-Private

by laaniiksedov
April 30, 2019

So then, let's try this Based on the Israeli Defense Forces Ranks:

[Lot Kaal Diist Uth] lot kaal diist uth-General (an extrapolation of rav aluf-meaning Lieutenant General)

[Lot Kaal] lot kaal-Lieutenant General (from the IDF rank mentioned above)

[Kaal] kaal-Major General (from the IDF rank aluf)

[Tum Kaal] tum kaal-Brigadier General (from the IDF rank tat aluf)

[Ziist Kaal] ziist kaal-Colonel (from the IDF rank aluf mishne) 

[Qolaas Kaal] qolaas kaal-Lieutenant Colonel

[Lot Kulaan] lot kulaan-Major (From IDF rank rav seren)

[Kulaan] kulaan-Captain (From IDF rank seren)

[Qolaas] qolaas-Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Deputy

[Ziist Qolaas] ziist qolaas-Second Lieutenant

[Lot Vahlok] lot vahlok-Chief Warrant Officer

[Ziist Lot Vahlok] ziist lot vahlok-Warrant Officer

[Wuth Lot Deinmaar do Lahvu] wuth lot deinmaar do lahvu-Sergeant Major of the Army

[Wuth Lot Deinmaar] wuth lot deinmaar- Command Sergeant Major

[Pruzaan Lot Deinmaar] pruzaan lot deinmaar- Sergeant Major

[Lot Deinmaar Diist Uth] lot deinmaar diist uth- Master Sergeant

[Lot Deinmaar] lot deinmaar-Sergeant First Class

[Deinmaar Diist Uth] deinmaar diist Uth-Staff Sergeant

[Deinmaar] deinmaar-Sergeant

[Tum Deinmaar] tum deinmaar-Corporal

[Lot Kendov] lot kendov-Private First Class

[Kendov] kendov-Private

laaniiksedov
May 4, 2019

So. Here's another option for officers

[Thursekein] THURSEKeiN-Field Marshal

[Konahrik] KONahRIK-General

[Kopraan Konahrik] KOPRaaN KONahRIK-Corps General

[Vahzah Haal Konahrik] VahZah HaaL KONahRIK-Lieutenant General (lit: Right Hand of the Warlord)

[Krent Konahrik] KRENT KONahRIK-Division General

[Kaal Konahrik] KaaL KONahRIK-Major General

[Ronax Konahrik] RONAX KONahRIK-Brigade General

[Du'ulin] Du'uLIN-Colonel

[Vahzah Haal Du'ulin] VahZah HaaL Du'uLIN-Lieutenant Colonel

[KaaL] KaaL-Major

[KINBOK] KINBOK-Captain

[VahZah HaaL] VahZah HaaL-Lieutenant

[ZiiST VahZah HaaL] ZiiST VahZah HaaL-Second Lieutenant

You'll notice a few words here and there which are not quite canon. I.E Du'ulin. It is technically non-canon. However it uses two words from canon: Du'ul and In. So I included it.

by laaniiksedov
May 4, 2019

So. Here's another option for officers

[Thursekein] THURSEKeiN-Field Marshal

[Konahrik] KONahRIK-General

[Kopraan Konahrik] KOPRaaN KONahRIK-Corps General

[Vahzah Haal Konahrik] VahZah HaaL KONahRIK-Lieutenant General (lit: Right Hand of the Warlord)

[Krent Konahrik] KRENT KONahRIK-Division General

[Kaal Konahrik] KaaL KONahRIK-Major General

[Ronax Konahrik] RONAX KONahRIK-Brigade General

[Du'ulin] Du'uLIN-Colonel

[Vahzah Haal Du'ulin] VahZah HaaL Du'uLIN-Lieutenant Colonel

[KaaL] KaaL-Major

[KINBOK] KINBOK-Captain

[VahZah HaaL] VahZah HaaL-Lieutenant

[ZiiST VahZah HaaL] ZiiST VahZah HaaL-Second Lieutenant

You'll notice a few words here and there which are not quite canon. I.E Du'ulin. It is technically non-canon. However it uses two words from canon: Du'ul and In. So I included it.