Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Worldbuilding - "Veil" translation

Nahlotaar
April 30, 2019

I'm making a nation that uses Dovahzul as its native tongue, but I've hit a road-block on its name. Back in its history, it was called "d'ala velo" by Italian-based explorers, which translates to "of Wing Veil." The problem I'm having is that I have no translation for "Veil." I feel like "mask" might work, but there's no translation for that, either. Any suggestions?

by Nahlotaar
April 30, 2019

I'm making a nation that uses Dovahzul as its native tongue, but I've hit a road-block on its name. Back in its history, it was called "d'ala velo" by Italian-based explorers, which translates to "of Wing Veil." The problem I'm having is that I have no translation for "Veil." I feel like "mask" might work, but there's no translation for that, either. Any suggestions?

Zinrahzul
May 8, 2019

Krosis, Nahlotaar for not responding sooner. I was waiting for others to chime in first ... For the translation of veil, you should use the purpose of it -- a covering for the face. Since you're translating "of Wing Veil", you're covering the wing instead. Wing Veil to me speaks of the shadow or covering a wing provides -- a Wing-Shadow or Wing-Hiding. In Dovahzul that is Viing-Vokun (or vokunseviing) or Viing-Vonun (or Vonunseviing).  Another idea would be VonuntaasViing (Hiding wing) or VokuntaasViing (Shadowing wing).

I don't think it's necessary to explicitly say "of ..." in your naming. Also, you could probably remove the hyphen since you're referring to an actual place, so you could have Viingvokun, Viingvonun, Vokuntaasviing, Vonuntaasviing.

If you like the idea of "cloth" being in the name, then you could try Viingahtiid or Ahtiidviing.

by Zinrahzul
May 8, 2019

Krosis, Nahlotaar for not responding sooner. I was waiting for others to chime in first ... For the translation of veil, you should use the purpose of it -- a covering for the face. Since you're translating "of Wing Veil", you're covering the wing instead. Wing Veil to me speaks of the shadow or covering a wing provides -- a Wing-Shadow or Wing-Hiding. In Dovahzul that is Viing-Vokun (or vokunseviing) or Viing-Vonun (or Vonunseviing).  Another idea would be VonuntaasViing (Hiding wing) or VokuntaasViing (Shadowing wing).

I don't think it's necessary to explicitly say "of ..." in your naming. Also, you could probably remove the hyphen since you're referring to an actual place, so you could have Viingvokun, Viingvonun, Vokuntaasviing, Vonuntaasviing.

If you like the idea of "cloth" being in the name, then you could try Viingahtiid or Ahtiidviing.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.