Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Fun hin ahst.

Glaedr Vulkrein
August 28, 2019

I noticed that there isn't actually a word for "Where" as in the actual location of an object, but rather the dictionary's defined "where" is a conjunction only. This leads to the question of how to ask a person "Where are you?" You can't just say "Kolos hi," Because that wouldn't make much sense, Kolos being a conjunction only. The way around this that I came up with is "Fun hin ahst," or "Tell your at." It might seem strange in English, but ahst is broader than just the literal English at, so I hope it's proper grammar in Dovahzul. I made this thread to ask you all if it was, indeed, correct, and also if there are any other ideas to say this.

by Glaedr Vulkrein
August 28, 2019

I noticed that there isn't actually a word for "Where" as in the actual location of an object, but rather the dictionary's defined "where" is a conjunction only. This leads to the question of how to ask a person "Where are you?" You can't just say "Kolos hi," Because that wouldn't make much sense, Kolos being a conjunction only. The way around this that I came up with is "Fun hin ahst," or "Tell your at." It might seem strange in English, but ahst is broader than just the literal English at, so I hope it's proper grammar in Dovahzul. I made this thread to ask you all if it was, indeed, correct, and also if there are any other ideas to say this.

Zinrahzul
August 29, 2019

That is certainly a conundrum. Looking at the official definition, you have "in which". The only usage in-game is a reference to a place of battle "in which" Arnvid "suffered a mortal wound". It is referring to a location. I actually dispute that "in which" is a conjunction. It's actually modifying a noun "The place in which". That being said, in-game doesn't use "kolos" as a question word -- only "wo" (who) does this.

Now, if you wanted to limit your usage of "kolos" to what you see in-game, try following this logic: Ask "Where are you?". You can use kolos in this way -- "Talk about the place in which you are stand." "Tinvaak do golt (place) kolos (in which) hi los / kriist (are/stand)." Now, maybe you shorten it to "Golt kolos hi los/kriist?" which may not be "a complete sentence", but it is a phrase that describes your desire to know where someone is. You can shorten it further to, say, "Hin golt?" ("your place" -- I've seen someone use this phrase), but I still use "Kolos los hi?" because in meaning, it conveys "(implied place) in which you are?" due to the definition of "kolos". 

You can make your own decisions, but ultimately the person (or dragon) you're talk to needs to share at least some understanding of the words you're using.

Certainly in English "In which you are?" doesn't communicate my desire to know where you are (sounds nonsensical), but we use "where" anyways. Kolos as "in which" can't because with anything other than location. It's only that in English we use "in which" to mean "where" most times. Other languages might have their own phrases for this. We are forced to look at Dovahzul usage in-game or as stated in official sources, like the referenced PrimaGames guide.

Here is a reference for how English uses "where" and "in which" https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/where-versus-in-which If you notice, they're interchangeable, but only as the

by Zinrahzul
August 29, 2019

That is certainly a conundrum. Looking at the official definition, you have "in which". The only usage in-game is a reference to a place of battle "in which" Arnvid "suffered a mortal wound". It is referring to a location. I actually dispute that "in which" is a conjunction. It's actually modifying a noun "The place in which". That being said, in-game doesn't use "kolos" as a question word -- only "wo" (who) does this.

Now, if you wanted to limit your usage of "kolos" to what you see in-game, try following this logic: Ask "Where are you?". You can use kolos in this way -- "Talk about the place in which you are stand." "Tinvaak do golt (place) kolos (in which) hi los / kriist (are/stand)." Now, maybe you shorten it to "Golt kolos hi los/kriist?" which may not be "a complete sentence", but it is a phrase that describes your desire to know where someone is. You can shorten it further to, say, "Hin golt?" ("your place" -- I've seen someone use this phrase), but I still use "Kolos los hi?" because in meaning, it conveys "(implied place) in which you are?" due to the definition of "kolos". 

You can make your own decisions, but ultimately the person (or dragon) you're talk to needs to share at least some understanding of the words you're using.

Certainly in English "In which you are?" doesn't communicate my desire to know where you are (sounds nonsensical), but we use "where" anyways. Kolos as "in which" can't because with anything other than location. It's only that in English we use "in which" to mean "where" most times. Other languages might have their own phrases for this. We are forced to look at Dovahzul usage in-game or as stated in official sources, like the referenced PrimaGames guide.

Here is a reference for how English uses "where" and "in which" https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/where-versus-in-which If you notice, they're interchangeable, but only as the

Glaedr Vulkrein
November 15, 2019

Unslaad kogaan wah hi! Daar hiif kung. Zu'u gehjarii voth krosis tol Zu'u funt wah fahraal dasiik.

by Glaedr Vulkrein
November 15, 2019

Unslaad kogaan wah hi! Daar hiif kung. Zu'u gehjarii voth krosis tol Zu'u funt wah fahraal dasiik.

Zinrahzul
November 16, 2019

No problem!

by Zinrahzul
November 16, 2019

No problem!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.