Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

A word for "malice" or "malicious intent"

Vuldunir
October 15, 2019

Drem Yol Lok, Zeymah. I've been looking at Nahkriin's name, how its' translation is "to slay in fury," and I think that "malice" can be translated similarly - "Munaxkriin" or "Felkriin", "to kill in cruelty" or "feral killing". What are your thoughts? If there was a suggestion like that before, pay no heed and move on.

by Vuldunir
October 15, 2019

Drem Yol Lok, Zeymah. I've been looking at Nahkriin's name, how its' translation is "to slay in fury," and I think that "malice" can be translated similarly - "Munaxkriin" or "Felkriin", "to kill in cruelty" or "feral killing". What are your thoughts? If there was a suggestion like that before, pay no heed and move on.

Zinrahzul
October 16, 2019

Just looking at the definition for malice - "the intention or desire to do evil; ill will" you can derive a way to say it in Dovahzul. "Intention" is "laan" (want), "frin" (zeal) or "smoliin" (passion). "Do evil" can be "vokul sod" (evil deed), "wah dreh vokul" (to do evil), or just "vokul" (evil).

My suggestion is just laansevokul (want of evil).

by Zinrahzul
October 16, 2019

Just looking at the definition for malice - "the intention or desire to do evil; ill will" you can derive a way to say it in Dovahzul. "Intention" is "laan" (want), "frin" (zeal) or "smoliin" (passion). "Do evil" can be "vokul sod" (evil deed), "wah dreh vokul" (to do evil), or just "vokul" (evil).

Vuldunir
October 16, 2019
Zinrahzul

I was thinking more towards malice being the desire to harm, not just do evil deeds. Although it does sound like something dov would say.

by Vuldunir
October 16, 2019
Zinrahzul

I was thinking more towards malice being the desire to harm, not just do evil deeds. Although it does sound like something dov would say.

Sonaak Kroinlah
October 16, 2019

You could also use "nax" as a standalone substitute I think. It would all depend on context.

by Sonaak Kroinlah
October 16, 2019

You could also use "nax" as a standalone substitute I think. It would all depend on context.

Vuldunir
October 16, 2019
Sonaak Kroinlah

As in Paarthurnax Ambitios Cruel Ruler? Hmm, possible, and you are right about context.  What if it's basic desire to hurt, almost feral... that's why I thought Fel would be a possible match too.

by Vuldunir
October 16, 2019
Sonaak Kroinlah

As in Paarthurnax Ambitios Cruel Ruler? Hmm, possible, and you are right about context.  What if it's basic desire to hurt, almost feral... that's why I thought Fel would be a possible match too.

Sonaak Kroinlah
October 17, 2019

You you give an example of sentences it would be used in? You don't have to just use one you could change depending on the intended meaning.

by Sonaak Kroinlah
October 17, 2019

You you give an example of sentences it would be used in? You don't have to just use one you could change depending on the intended meaning.

Zinrahzul
October 18, 2019

Malice as desire to harm? Then you can use laan (want) along with ahraan (wound, to wound). "Rok laan ahraan zu'u".

by Zinrahzul
October 18, 2019

Malice as desire to harm? Then you can use laan (want) along with ahraan (wound, to wound). "Rok laan ahraan zu'u".

Vuldunir
October 18, 2019
Zinrahzul

That would just mean "I want to harm", wouldn't it? Whereas, similar to Nahkriin being "Vengeance", (Mu)Naxkriin or Felkriin "Malice". If it makes sense, at all.

Edit: Totally forgot there is Rii "Essence", "Spirit". So that would be Naxrii for "Malice"?

by Vuldunir
October 18, 2019
Zinrahzul

That would just mean "I want to harm", wouldn't it? Whereas, similar to Nahkriin being "Vengeance", (Mu)Naxkriin or Felkriin "Malice". If it makes sense, at all.

Edit: Totally forgot there is Rii "Essence", "Spirit". So that would be Naxrii for "Malice"?

Zinrahzul
October 18, 2019

"I want to harm you" in this case does signify malice, but it's conveying it in word structure that it sounds like you don't want to use. Do you want to use the word in a sentence structure like "There is malice in his words"? If so, in Dovahzul you can use "Malice is found in his words" and then just plug in the words at the beginning to replace "malice" with the words you're trying to use.

Nax conveys cruelty, which does share attributes with malice, but cruelty also implies power over that which is receiving the cruelty. Fel is ferocious, and just modifies whatever word you'd use for malice. The "-kriin" words you offered will always associate with "krii" (kill). Are you trying to describe malice as "desire to kill" or "desire to harm" ?

by Zinrahzul
October 18, 2019

"I want to harm you" in this case does signify malice, but it's conveying it in word structure that it sounds like you don't want to use. Do you want to use the word in a sentence structure like "There is malice in his words"? If so, in Dovahzul you can use "Malice is found in his words" and then just plug in the words at the beginning to replace "malice" with the words you're trying to use.

Nax conveys cruelty, which does share attributes with malice, but cruelty also implies power over that which is receiving the cruelty. Fel is ferocious, and just modifies whatever word you'd use for malice. The "-kriin" words you offered will always associate with "krii" (kill). Are you trying to describe malice as "desire to kill" or "desire to harm" ?

Vuldunir
October 18, 2019
Zinrahzul

I think Fel is more akin to "feral" and not "ferocious". Something basic, on a level of instinct - kill or be killed.

If I was to put it in a sentence, it would be something like "Ok Rot Haalvut Do Naxrii. Ni Ov Ok Zul", "(I) Feel Malice in his words. Don't trust his Voice."

I'm trying to describe malice as the capacity for evil, as if someone is on the brink of corruption, not necessarily the explicit desire to harm.

by Vuldunir
October 18, 2019
Zinrahzul

I think Fel is more akin to "feral" and not "ferocious". Something basic, on a level of instinct - kill or be killed.

If I was to put it in a sentence, it would be something like "Ok Rot Haalvut Do Naxrii. Ni Ov Ok Zul", "(I) Feel Malice in his words. Don't trust his Voice."

I'm trying to describe malice as the capacity for evil, as if someone is on the brink of corruption, not necessarily the explicit desire to harm.

Zinrahzul
October 18, 2019

Folaasi. Fel is definitely feral. I mispoke.

Rii means nothing more than "essence". It doesn't add anything to the meaning of nax (cruelty). Using your words, "... do nax rii" essentially doesn't mean too much more than "... do nax". 

If you are describing malice as capacity for evil, then you're communicating that you realllly want to say "capacity for evil, as if someone is on the brink of corruption, not necessarily the explicit desire to harm". My previous posts were based upon your previous posts and my impression that you wanted to translate "desire to hurt".

Now that we know what you're trying to translate, I think we might be on the same page. 

We can use key words to form the final group of words that will convey what we're looking for. Here are my associations with that malice description you gave:

Capacity - the mind for, desire for, holds

Evil - evil (vokul), cruelty (nax), 

On The Brink - near (vogut - un-far, het - here)

Corruption - I can't think of anything else here besides "Evil" (refer to before)

(Side note)

Since there's no direct Dovahzul word that means what English "malice" means, then we can't do a word-for-word translation. We must translate a more precise description of it. For example, when you said, "The capacity for evil...".

by Zinrahzul
October 18, 2019

Rii means nothing more than "essence". It doesn't add anything to the meaning of nax (cruelty). Using your words, "... do nax rii" essentially doesn't mean too much more than "... do nax". 

If you are describing malice as capacity for evil, then you're communicating that you realllly want to say "capacity for evil, as if someone is on the brink of corruption, not necessarily the explicit desire to harm". My previous posts were based upon your previous posts and my impression that you wanted to translate "desire to hurt".

Now that we know what you're trying to translate, I think we might be on the same page. 

We can use key words to form the final group of words that will convey what we're looking for. Here are my associations with that malice description you gave:

Corruption - I can't think of anything else here besides "Evil" (refer to before)

(Side note)

Since there's no direct Dovahzul word that means what English "malice" means, then we can't do a word-for-word translation. We must translate a more precise description of it. For example, when you said, "The capacity for evil...".

Vuldunir
October 18, 2019
Zinrahzul

(Side note)

Nahkriin is not a direct translation, is it? "To Kill in Fury" or Vengeance. And yet it's two words Nah(fury) and Kriin(kill).

Corruption is not evil, per se. Entropy, malignant transformation, if that makes sense. My attempt at creating a shout might help describe it: Ha Kreh Yol or "Mind Bending Fire". Just read my other thread, please.

Evil as in Vokul, you say... Vokul Sil? Silnax? Viable choices, I'd suggest. Although only Silnax sounds like something a dovah would say. How about Hanax "Cruel Mind"?

by Vuldunir
October 18, 2019
Zinrahzul

(Side note)

Nahkriin is not a direct translation, is it? "To Kill in Fury" or Vengeance. And yet it's two words Nah(fury) and Kriin(kill).

Corruption is not evil, per se. Entropy, malignant transformation, if that makes sense. My attempt at creating a shout might help describe it: Ha Kreh Yol or "Mind Bending Fire". Just read my other thread, please.

Evil as in Vokul, you say... Vokul Sil? Silnax? Viable choices, I'd suggest. Although only Silnax sounds like something a dovah would say. How about Hanax "Cruel Mind"?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.