Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Juno's Reimagined Dragon Language

Frinmulaar
May 18, 2020

https://youtu.be/0kv5bxXl5h4

If you can get past the grating audio, there are insights here. I see this as a glimpse of a utopic parallel universe.

by Frinmulaar
May 18, 2020

https://youtu.be/0kv5bxXl5h4

If you can get past the grating audio, there are insights here. I see this as a glimpse of a utopic parallel universe.

vestibule
May 24, 2020

Thanks for posting this, her reasoning sounds very interesting! I haven't finished listening to it, but that she made the writing a syllabary seems quite grating for an imagined language. It's a breath of fresh air, certainly, but it's also more involved to learn. One can still make an alphabet interesting and keep it an alphabet.

An interview once reported the reason for the simplified design choices for the language, namely that the devs couldn't keep up with the complicated rules when writing the dragon content. For the LotR films, Peter Jackson must've recruited already existing experts on Tolkien's languages, to work out the lines in elvish that were not in the book. Bethesda didn't have that option; they had to become familiar with their language scheme under the development time and the tight 11.11.11 deadline.

Despite this, I too am grated by the fact that "th" is two goddamn letters, and "thu'um" being an important word that has it.

by vestibule
May 24, 2020

Thanks for posting this, her reasoning sounds very interesting! I haven't finished listening to it, but that she made the writing a syllabary seems quite grating for an imagined language. It's a breath of fresh air, certainly, but it's also more involved to learn. One can still make an alphabet interesting and keep it an alphabet.

An interview once reported the reason for the simplified design choices for the language, namely that the devs couldn't keep up with the complicated rules when writing the dragon content. For the LotR films, Peter Jackson must've recruited already existing experts on Tolkien's languages, to work out the lines in elvish that were not in the book. Bethesda didn't have that option; they had to become familiar with their language scheme under the development time and the tight 11.11.11 deadline.

Despite this, I too am grated by the fact that "th" is two goddamn letters, and "thu'um" being an important word that has it.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.