Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Advice?

rokmurhren
December 11, 2013

So, any tips or criticism that the site veterans have for a beginning translator would be very cool!

"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

--Julle pah los kiin stin ahrk roaal midrak niistmaar ko kah ahrk qaarre. Nust lost dahrin ahrk hahleit ahrk wah gein aanvorey nust fend kosov voth ziisezeymahmaar.--

by rokmurhren
December 11, 2013

So, any tips or criticism that the site veterans have for a beginning translator would be very cool!

"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

--Julle pah los kiin stin ahrk roaal midrak niistmaar ko kah ahrk qaarre. Nust lost dahrin ahrk hahleit ahrk wah gein aanvorey nust fend kosov voth ziisezeymahmaar.--

Aaliizah
December 11, 2013

Well, I'm not exactly a veteran here, nor am I the greatest translator, but I do have some advice:

You may want to change "ziizeymahmaar" to "zii do zeymahmaar". It isn't necessary, but it makes it easier to both read and say because zeymahmaar is already such a long word. Just a thought. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "roaal midrak niistmaar". I don't recognize the word "roaal" and I haven't found it in the dictionary. Of course, I could have just missed it. So excluding that, I got "against themselves". I could be wrong, of course. I'm a noob, too. :P

Perhaps, to be more accurate, you could use "nust kosaan geofan... (they have been given...)" instead of "nust lost... (they have...)". If you'd prefer, you could also say "nust los kogaan do... (they have the blessing of...)". But it's up to you. :)

I may have made mistakes, so don't take my word for it. I'd wait to be sure until a real veteran comes along. Pruzah gluus voth hin dojvon!

by Aaliizah
December 11, 2013

Well, I'm not exactly a veteran here, nor am I the greatest translator, but I do have some advice:

You may want to change "ziizeymahmaar" to "zii do zeymahmaar". It isn't necessary, but it makes it easier to both read and say because zeymahmaar is already such a long word. Just a thought. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "roaal midrak niistmaar". I don't recognize the word "roaal" and I haven't found it in the dictionary. Of course, I could have just missed it. So excluding that, I got "against themselves". I could be wrong, of course. I'm a noob, too. :P

Perhaps, to be more accurate, you could use "nust kosaan geofan... (they have been given...)" instead of "nust lost... (they have...)". If you'd prefer, you could also say "nust los kogaan do... (they have the blessing of...)". But it's up to you. :)

I may have made mistakes, so don't take my word for it. I'd wait to be sure until a real veteran comes along. Pruzah gluus voth hin dojvon!

rokmurhren
December 11, 2013
Aaliizah

Thanks! Honestly I was a bit iffy on the "ziisezeymahmaar". I think that separating it out would sound a bit better. As for "roaal midrak niistmaar" was supposed to be "in balance with each other", but I think my brain may have been in Latin which does funny things grammatically with that phrase. 

by rokmurhren
December 11, 2013
Aaliizah

Thanks! Honestly I was a bit iffy on the "ziisezeymahmaar". I think that separating it out would sound a bit better. As for "roaal midrak niistmaar" was supposed to be "in balance with each other", but I think my brain may have been in Latin which does funny things grammatically with that phrase. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 12, 2013

I'd like to drop in and say that "Roaal" actually would work to mean something close to "balanced/having balance". It isn't in the dictionary but perhaps it should be, or some alteration close to it like "Rohaal" or "Ronaal" since two adjacent vowels are a rare sight.

by paarthurnax
December 12, 2013

I'd like to drop in and say that "Roaal" actually would work to mean something close to "balanced/having balance". It isn't in the dictionary but perhaps it should be, or some alteration close to it like "Rohaal" or "Ronaal" since two adjacent vowels are a rare sight.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.