Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Pronunciation of "th" and "sh"

Drakpa
January 8, 2014

Hello everyone!

When we have in Dovahzul a "th", shall we pronouce it /th/ or /θ/? The same with "sh", do we pronounce it /s/+/h/ or /ʃ/?
To make this question more general, when we have two consonants that together could make another sound (like above), do we keep the original pronunciation (i.e. we just add the second consonant to the first one) or do we pronounce this new consonant?

by Drakpa
January 8, 2014

Hello everyone!

When we have in Dovahzul a "th", shall we pronouce it /th/ or /θ/? The same with "sh", do we pronounce it /s/+/h/ or /ʃ/?
To make this question more general, when we have two consonants that together could make another sound (like above), do we keep the original pronunciation (i.e. we just add the second consonant to the first one) or do we pronounce this new consonant?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 8, 2014

As in English, "th" is pronounced like /θ/ and "sh" is pronounced like /ʃ/. In-game examples include "Thu'um", and "Shul" in the Fire Breath Shout. "Th", "sh", and "ng" /Å‹/ are examples of consonant combinations that I can think of that apply to Dovahzul.

by paarthurnax
January 8, 2014

As in English, "th" is pronounced like /θ/ and "sh" is pronounced like /ʃ/. In-game examples include "Thu'um", and "Shul" in the Fire Breath Shout. "Th", "sh", and "ng" /Å‹/ are examples of consonant combinations that I can think of that apply to Dovahzul.

Drakpa
January 8, 2014

Ok, well then, I think it should be mentioned somewhere in the lessons? Because I don't think it is obvious for beginners like me in Dovahzul, especialy for people who don't natively speak English. (If I find any other potential consonnant combination, I'll post it here).

by Drakpa
January 8, 2014

Ok, well then, I think it should be mentioned somewhere in the lessons? Because I don't think it is obvious for beginners like me in Dovahzul, especialy for people who don't natively speak English. (If I find any other potential consonnant combination, I'll post it here).

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 8, 2014
Drakpa

Sure, I can make mention of it. As a native English speaker it's great to have these things brought up because I probably wouldn't think about them otherwise.

by paarthurnax
January 8, 2014
Drakpa

Sure, I can make mention of it. As a native English speaker it's great to have these things brought up because I probably wouldn't think about them otherwise.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.