A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

New Phrases

1  2 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 20, 2014

I'm coming up on a lesson about phrases & conversation for the Learn pages. I'd like to have some more phrases to add to it and I need your help! In particular, with a certain kind of phrase.

The phrase "drem yol lok" means "greetings", literally "peace fire sky". It's almost a sort of Shout. I challenge you to come up with other three-word phrases that can mean other things like "farewell", "thank you", "best wishes", etc. Don't worry about grammar. Just come up with three words that can fit together! Put on your draconic thinking caps!

Some guidelines to help you with these sorts of phrases:

• 3 words
  • Preferably one syllable each
  • Preferably all canon

Have fun and thanks in advance for any ideas!

by paarthurnax
January 20, 2014

I'm coming up on a lesson about phrases & conversation for the Learn pages. I'd like to have some more phrases to add to it and I need your help! In particular, with a certain kind of phrase.

The phrase "drem yol lok" means "greetings", literally "peace fire sky". It's almost a sort of Shout. I challenge you to come up with other three-word phrases that can mean other things like "farewell", "thank you", "best wishes", etc. Don't worry about grammar. Just come up with three words that can fit together! Put on your draconic thinking caps!

Some guidelines to help you with these sorts of phrases:

• 3 words
  • Preferably one syllable each
  • Preferably all canon

Have fun and thanks in advance for any ideas!

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 20, 2014

I'll start things off with a phrase of my own: "Tiid Fah Viing", "time for wing", for "I must go / It's time for me to leave".

by paarthurnax
January 20, 2014

I'll start things off with a phrase of my own: "Tiid Fah Viing", "time for wing", for "I must go / It's time for me to leave".

Loniizrath
January 20, 2014

How about "Gluus Voth Hi," "luck with you," meaning good luck?

by Loniizrath
January 20, 2014

How about "Gluus Voth Hi," "luck with you," meaning good luck?

perrydrums
January 21, 2014

"Naak ol rah!", Eat as god! meaning Enjoy your meal or Bon appetit! :)

by perrydrums
January 21, 2014

"Naak ol rah!", Eat as god! meaning Enjoy your meal or Bon appetit! :)

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 21, 2014

Thanks for the ideas so far! Maybe mine was a bad example, the words don't have to be (or shouldn't be) grammatically related. For example "peace fire sky" doesn't really mean anything literally. My phrase might be better as "Tiid Bo Viing", "time fly wing".

by paarthurnax
January 21, 2014

Thanks for the ideas so far! Maybe mine was a bad example, the words don't have to be (or shouldn't be) grammatically related. For example "peace fire sky" doesn't really mean anything literally. My phrase might be better as "Tiid Bo Viing", "time fly wing".

solarflare
April 16, 2014

I like the 3 word concept to form phrases, especially slang or dialectal terms. I'm currently studying Arabic and they have a concept of having almost all of their nouns derived from their 3-4 letter verbs. So something similar could be implemented to come up with new words altogther. This way Dovahzul can keep many words as close to canon as possible, while making it exciting and easier for new students to learn the language. For instance, mu- can be added in Arabic to a verb to usually mean the "doer" of that action. Such as aalima meaning to teach and muaalim meaning a teacher. Same thing with adding mu- to the verb "to steal" to make thief. I think the more we evolve the language based off of the original words given, the more authentic and unique the words will sound. 

by solarflare
April 16, 2014

I like the 3 word concept to form phrases, especially slang or dialectal terms. I'm currently studying Arabic and they have a concept of having almost all of their nouns derived from their 3-4 letter verbs. So something similar could be implemented to come up with new words altogther. This way Dovahzul can keep many words as close to canon as possible, while making it exciting and easier for new students to learn the language. For instance, mu- can be added in Arabic to a verb to usually mean the "doer" of that action. Such as aalima meaning to teach and muaalim meaning a teacher. Same thing with adding mu- to the verb "to steal" to make thief. I think the more we evolve the language based off of the original words given, the more authentic and unique the words will sound. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 17, 2014

Unless I'm mistaken that sounds fairly identical to English's own "-er", which Dovahzul has a couple different suffixes for (see "Wunduniik", "Qahnaarin", "Fahluaan", "Deinmaar"). I agree, I think we can do a lot of cool things with some affix experimentation.

The canon is very important, and I'm also of the opinion that having a decent body of new words is important too. That way a language of 4,000+ words isn't the same 600 put together in different ways. For a word like "assassin" it makes sense to have a compound for it. For more basic words like "water", "tail", "tooth", or  "go", I think it's best to have new words to give the language a healthy amount of variety.

There's definitely room for improvement on that end to make it as authentic as possible.

by paarthurnax
April 17, 2014

Unless I'm mistaken that sounds fairly identical to English's own "-er", which Dovahzul has a couple different suffixes for (see "Wunduniik", "Qahnaarin", "Fahluaan", "Deinmaar"). I agree, I think we can do a lot of cool things with some affix experimentation.

The canon is very important, and I'm also of the opinion that having a decent body of new words is important too. That way a language of 4,000+ words isn't the same 600 put together in different ways. For a word like "assassin" it makes sense to have a compound for it. For more basic words like "water", "tail", "tooth", or  "go", I think it's best to have new words to give the language a healthy amount of variety.

There's definitely room for improvement on that end to make it as authentic as possible.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 17, 2014

Another thought I had was, we could expand canon words to have definitions we use non-canon words for. For example, the current word for "to go" is the non-canon "Shur". Maybe we decide that the canon word "Bo" could be used to mean "to go", as it already can be used for a number of movement-related verbs.

by paarthurnax
April 17, 2014

Another thought I had was, we could expand canon words to have definitions we use non-canon words for. For example, the current word for "to go" is the non-canon "Shur". Maybe we decide that the canon word "Bo" could be used to mean "to go", as it already can be used for a number of movement-related verbs.

solarflare
April 17, 2014
paarthurnax

That would make perfect sense to use "bo" as to go in general since dragons would have been using the language. People don't say "I walk to..." or "I drive to..." that much unless they want to stress that they were walking/driving there. We often say "I go to the store" and the rest is assumed based off of distance. However, we would almost always say "I flew to..." or "I took a plane to..." etc. unless we also wanted to assume context. So "bo" or "to fly" could definitely be assumed as going in general. A dragon wouldn't ask another dragon what they meant by "bo" as in did they walk, or fly there. It would just be assumed based off of context. The same could be used here. I think "shur" could almost be a modern word of movement, like "to drive". Just my opinion

by solarflare
April 17, 2014
paarthurnax

That would make perfect sense to use "bo" as to go in general since dragons would have been using the language. People don't say "I walk to..." or "I drive to..." that much unless they want to stress that they were walking/driving there. We often say "I go to the store" and the rest is assumed based off of distance. However, we would almost always say "I flew to..." or "I took a plane to..." etc. unless we also wanted to assume context. So "bo" or "to fly" could definitely be assumed as going in general. A dragon wouldn't ask another dragon what they meant by "bo" as in did they walk, or fly there. It would just be assumed based off of context. The same could be used here. I think "shur" could almost be a modern word of movement, like "to drive". Just my opinion

Ahmuldein
May 30, 2014

I'll think of one....

by Ahmuldein
May 30, 2014

I'll think of one....

Ahmuldein
May 30, 2014

Ven bo voth hi, wind be with you, not like the force from star wars but like may the wind be at your back, fly fast. Trinkets odds and ends....that sort of thing

by Ahmuldein
May 30, 2014

Ven bo voth hi, wind be with you, not like the force from star wars but like may the wind be at your back, fly fast. Trinkets odds and ends....that sort of thing

Loniizrath
May 31, 2014
Ahmuldovah

You could probably omit "hi" to make it fit in with the three word rule.

by Loniizrath
May 31, 2014
Ahmuldovah

You could probably omit "hi" to make it fit in with the three word rule.

Loniizrath
June 4, 2014

Another one, that doesn't quite follow the guidelines, but probably won't find much common usage. "Jun krii nahkriin", basically the dovah equivalent of "Sic semper tyrannis."

by Loniizrath
June 4, 2014

Another one, that doesn't quite follow the guidelines, but probably won't find much common usage. "Jun krii nahkriin", basically the dovah equivalent of "Sic semper tyrannis."

Mahlaansaviik
June 15, 2014

How about a way to say sweet dreams/ goodnight? I was thinking "drem hah suth" (peace mind breeze). 

by Mahlaansaviik
June 15, 2014

How about a way to say sweet dreams/ goodnight? I was thinking "drem hah suth" (peace mind breeze). 

Aaliizah
June 24, 2014

What ahout ven tiid dez -- a phrase meaning something like "just in time" or "good timing"?

by Aaliizah
June 24, 2014

What ahout ven tiid dez -- a phrase meaning something like "just in time" or "good timing"?

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.