Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dialogue

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 15, 2013

There are a lot of interesting pieces of dialogue in the video above.  I've found that this page offers the most accurate assessment of the dialogue.

We see a lot of really surprising and different grammatical things here.  Compound words and possessive suffixes are used heavily: "suleyksejun", "losei", etc.  We also see "se" being used a lot.  So far we've seen it used to make compound words like "suleyksejun", but here's it's being used as a suffix.  I can't quite determine what purpose it's serving though.  What makes "Ful, losei Dovahkiin" different from "Ful, lo Dovahkiin"?

Thoughts?  Once we figure this out, I foresee an advanced Dragon Language lesson covering all of these grammatical intricacies.

by paarthurnax
March 15, 2013

There are a lot of interesting pieces of dialogue in the video above.  I've found that this page offers the most accurate assessment of the dialogue.

We see a lot of really surprising and different grammatical things here.  Compound words and possessive suffixes are used heavily: "suleyksejun", "losei", etc.  We also see "se" being used a lot.  So far we've seen it used to make compound words like "suleyksejun", but here's it's being used as a suffix.  I can't quite determine what purpose it's serving though.  What makes "Ful, losei Dovahkiin" different from "Ful, lo Dovahkiin"?

Thoughts?  Once we figure this out, I foresee an advanced Dragon Language lesson covering all of these grammatical intricacies.

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

When I saw the "losei" I figured it was a rare use of verb tense.

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

When I saw the "losei" I figured it was a rare use of verb tense.

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

maybe it's something equivalent to "thou art"? heh.

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

maybe it's something equivalent to "thou art"? heh.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 24, 2013

"Losei" is supposedly based off of "lo" (deceive) and means "false".  It is "lo" with "se", and the possessive suffix "-i" to make "losei dovahkiin", "my false dragonborn".

by paarthurnax
April 24, 2013

"Losei" is supposedly based off of "lo" (deceive) and means "false".  It is "lo" with "se", and the possessive suffix "-i" to make "losei dovahkiin", "my false dragonborn".

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

hot damn. 

so where does the "se" part of that come in from? is it just being used as that conjunctive to separate the syllables lo, i?

hmm...

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

hot damn. 

so where does the "se" part of that come in from? is it just being used as that conjunctive to separate the syllables lo, i?

hmm...

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 24, 2013

If the purpose is to separate "lo" and "i", it doesn't really do much since "se" ends with a vowel too.  The other example we have is "Ulse", which doesn't have a possessive suffix like "-i".  I liked your earlier idea that perhaps it stands for "for", "bound to dovah for eternity", but that doesn't quite fit with "ful, losei dovahkiin", "so, for deceive dragonborn".  At least, not in any way that makes sense to me.

To note is that "ul" is a noun and "lo" is a verb, so maybe it means different things when attached to one or the other?  "For" when attached to nouns, but when attached to verbs...could it possibly be like "-ing"?  "My deceiving dragonborn" (my false dragonborn).

by paarthurnax
April 24, 2013

If the purpose is to separate "lo" and "i", it doesn't really do much since "se" ends with a vowel too.  The other example we have is "Ulse", which doesn't have a possessive suffix like "-i".  I liked your earlier idea that perhaps it stands for "for", "bound to dovah for eternity", but that doesn't quite fit with "ful, losei dovahkiin", "so, for deceive dragonborn".  At least, not in any way that makes sense to me.

To note is that "ul" is a noun and "lo" is a verb, so maybe it means different things when attached to one or the other?  "For" when attached to nouns, but when attached to verbs...could it possibly be like "-ing"?  "My deceiving dragonborn" (my false dragonborn).

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

Losei... 

Lo = deceive

-se = -ive?

lose = deceptive? 

"having the capacity to deceive"

receptive, secretive, responsive

similar to -aal but maybe that modifies nouns and -se modifies verbs?

because we have -von (-ing) for the verb-to-participle conversion.

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

Losei... 

Lo = deceive

-se = -ive?

lose = deceptive? 

"having the capacity to deceive"

receptive, secretive, responsive

similar to -aal but maybe that modifies nouns and -se modifies verbs?

because we have -von (-ing) for the verb-to-participle conversion.

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

What if Ulse meant "eternal"?

Having the capacity of eternity? (for lack of better wording)

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

What if Ulse meant "eternal"?

Having the capacity of eternity? (for lack of better wording)

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

Though that would be Ulaal...

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

Though that would be Ulaal...

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 24, 2013

It's either "for eternity" or "eternally".

Here's the wiktionary entry for the suffix "-ive".

An adjective suffix signifying relating or belonging to, of the nature of, tending to; as affirmative, active, conclusive, corrective, diminutive.

Doesn't that certainly sound like "se", meaning "of/belonging to"?

by paarthurnax
April 24, 2013

It's either "for eternity" or "eternally".

Here's the wiktionary entry for the suffix "-ive".

An adjective suffix signifying relating or belonging to, of the nature of, tending to; as affirmative, active, conclusive, corrective, diminutive.

Doesn't that certainly sound like "se", meaning "of/belonging to"?

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

very interesting. so it's just another use for (and slightly tweaked definition of) "se"

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

very interesting. so it's just another use for (and slightly tweaked definition of) "se"

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 24, 2013

Yup, as a suffix to form adjectives (deceptive/false), while the possibility of it representing "for" is also there.

by paarthurnax
April 24, 2013

Yup, as a suffix to form adjectives (deceptive/false), while the possibility of it representing "for" is also there.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.