Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Universal Interactive Fiction Tips From Alokvon

Aloktaas Krein
January 27, 2014

Alokvon Krein here, and I've been playing Interactive fictions for long enough to give my two cents to whoever is interested in playing IFs.  I have a huge library of IFs, and I learned a thing or two about them from experience. So if you are interested, this is the place for you! Enjoy!

• Tip #1: Save After Every Battle: You will never regret it. If you get into a battle with a diffcult troll and kill him, save and restore your health, go to the next room and get killed, no big deal. Just restore your game, and you lose very little progress!
  • Tip #2: Don't leave Any Room Unsearched: Go everywhere you can, even draw a map on a piece of paper. The Labyrinth provides a map, so you don't need to go through the trouble of drawing one, but that still doesn't change the fact that you need to search every room. You will never regret doing this either!
  • Tip #3: Use Your Imagination: I can't stress this enough; Use your imagination. It is the main tool you need to beat an IF. Ask yourself "If I was really here, what would I do?". Then do whatever your imagination could come up with! Don't be scared! Just think that the developers were on crack when they made these games, and absolutely anything is possible, Trust me!
  • Tip #4: Mazes!: If you are caught in a maze, like in Zork or Adventure, I hope you have a lot of pactience! Here is the best thing anyone could tell you about mazes. Leave items in rooms, which will allow you to know if you where here or not before, or if that specific item represents a specific room. Then map it out. Trust me, no one said this was going to be easy. I'll be frank, it is freaking hard. But with enough willpower and dedication, you will be of the winners!
  • Tip #5: Universal Commands: If you are a first-time player, these are the commands that are usual in all IFs: "Go (any cardinal or intermediate direction avalible in the room description)", "look", "examine", "inventory" or "i", and you could use just "n", which means "go north". With intermediate directions, you could say "ne" for "go northeast". Combat controls in most IFs are like this "attack (enemy) with (weapon)" In games like Adventure which only accepts this format (verb noun), then you would just say "throw axe*" You don't need to use "attack", you could say "hit" or "kill" or whatever else which means to kill your enemy! With items, you usually say "take (item)" or "drop (item)". You could say "hold (item)", or just think of whatever you can which will allow you to take the object. You could figure out the rest.

* In Adventure, the only weapon you have is an axe, and the only way to attack with it is to throw it when enemies are in the room, like dwarves which are the primary enemies.

by Aloktaas Krein
January 27, 2014

Alokvon Krein here, and I've been playing Interactive fictions for long enough to give my two cents to whoever is interested in playing IFs.  I have a huge library of IFs, and I learned a thing or two about them from experience. So if you are interested, this is the place for you! Enjoy!

• Tip #1: Save After Every Battle: You will never regret it. If you get into a battle with a diffcult troll and kill him, save and restore your health, go to the next room and get killed, no big deal. Just restore your game, and you lose very little progress!
  • Tip #2: Don't leave Any Room Unsearched: Go everywhere you can, even draw a map on a piece of paper. The Labyrinth provides a map, so you don't need to go through the trouble of drawing one, but that still doesn't change the fact that you need to search every room. You will never regret doing this either!
  • Tip #3: Use Your Imagination: I can't stress this enough; Use your imagination. It is the main tool you need to beat an IF. Ask yourself "If I was really here, what would I do?". Then do whatever your imagination could come up with! Don't be scared! Just think that the developers were on crack when they made these games, and absolutely anything is possible, Trust me!
  • Tip #4: Mazes!: If you are caught in a maze, like in Zork or Adventure, I hope you have a lot of pactience! Here is the best thing anyone could tell you about mazes. Leave items in rooms, which will allow you to know if you where here or not before, or if that specific item represents a specific room. Then map it out. Trust me, no one said this was going to be easy. I'll be frank, it is freaking hard. But with enough willpower and dedication, you will be of the winners!
  • Tip #5: Universal Commands: If you are a first-time player, these are the commands that are usual in all IFs: "Go (any cardinal or intermediate direction avalible in the room description)", "look", "examine", "inventory" or "i", and you could use just "n", which means "go north". With intermediate directions, you could say "ne" for "go northeast". Combat controls in most IFs are like this "attack (enemy) with (weapon)" In games like Adventure which only accepts this format (verb noun), then you would just say "throw axe*" You don't need to use "attack", you could say "hit" or "kill" or whatever else which means to kill your enemy! With items, you usually say "take (item)" or "drop (item)". You could say "hold (item)", or just think of whatever you can which will allow you to take the object. You could figure out the rest.

* In Adventure, the only weapon you have is an axe, and the only way to attack with it is to throw it when enemies are in the room, like dwarves which are the primary enemies.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.