Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translations - Britdur

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 18, 2013

Britdur, this'll be your space to post in for your translation project.  I wrote up some short exercises here for you if you want to give them a try.  Otherwise, feel free to dive into "The Betrayed" right away.

by paarthurnax
March 18, 2013

Britdur, this'll be your space to post in for your translation project.  I wrote up some short exercises here for you if you want to give them a try.  Otherwise, feel free to dive into "The Betrayed" right away.

Britdur
March 18, 2013

Fantastic! I will work on the short exercise right away, and after that, i will start on The Betrayed.

by Britdur
March 18, 2013

Fantastic! I will work on the short exercise right away, and after that, i will start on The Betrayed.

Britdur
March 18, 2013

The short exercise.
Well i gave it my best shot, i hope my translation is getting somewhere close/correctly to the written context.

1. "The cold winds of the north do not welcome any who are unprepared."
  2. "I will gather as many men as can be found."
  3. "Fight me, and you will die with honor.  Flee, and you will die a coward."

My translation:

1. Faal krah ven do daar brom dreh ni valokein naan wo los vonahlokaan
  2. Zu'u fent lahvraan pah faal muz tol vis kos ruund.
  3. Krif zey, ahrk hi fent dir voth zin. Bovul, ahrk ho fen dir aan nikriin.
by Britdur
March 18, 2013

The short exercise.
Well i gave it my best shot, i hope my translation is getting somewhere close/correctly to the written context.

1. "The cold winds of the north do not welcome any who are unprepared."
  2. "I will gather as many men as can be found."
  3. "Fight me, and you will die with honor.  Flee, and you will die a coward."

My translation:

2. Zu'u fent lahvraan pah faal muz tol vis kos ruund.
  3. Krif zey, ahrk hi fent dir voth zin. Bovul, ahrk ho fen dir aan nikriin.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 18, 2013
Britdur

You did really well here!  I think your interpretation shows an even more Nordic perspective than what I had written in English.  If I were to translate back: "The Cold Winds of this North do not welcome any who are unprepared."  I like that you didn't do an extremely literal translation, and I think you got really creative with how you worded it.

This wouldn't work with how you worded your translation, but alternatively you could have used a compound word for "winds of the north", "vennesebrom".  Also, you could combine "dreh" and "ni" to make "drehni", which is equivalent to "don't".  "-ni" can be added to any verb to mean "don't", for example you could also have said "Faal krah ven do darr brom valokeinni naan wo los vonahlokaan."

by paarthurnax
March 18, 2013
Britdur

You did really well here!  I think your interpretation shows an even more Nordic perspective than what I had written in English.  If I were to translate back: "The Cold Winds of this North do not welcome any who are unprepared."  I like that you didn't do an extremely literal translation, and I think you got really creative with how you worded it.

This wouldn't work with how you worded your translation, but alternatively you could have used a compound word for "winds of the north", "vennesebrom".  Also, you could combine "dreh" and "ni" to make "drehni", which is equivalent to "don't".  "-ni" can be added to any verb to mean "don't", for example you could also have said "Faal krah ven do darr brom valokeinni naan wo los vonahlokaan."

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 18, 2013
Britdur
  1. Zu'u fent lahvraan pah faal muz tol vis kos ruund.
  2. Krif zey, ahrk hi fent dir voth zin. Bovul, ahrk ho fen dir aan nikriin.

These last two are pretty straightforward.  I liked how you said "all the Men that can be found".  The second one is good as well, my only comment would be to stick with either "hi" (formal) or "ho" (informal) and not switch between the two.  I know what you were going for, the first being more honorable, the second being a threat or insult, but the same form of "you" should be used throughout.

Overall, very nice work on the exercises!  I'm excited to see your work on "The Betrayed"!

by paarthurnax
March 18, 2013
Britdur
  1. Zu'u fent lahvraan pah faal muz tol vis kos ruund.
  2. Krif zey, ahrk hi fent dir voth zin. Bovul, ahrk ho fen dir aan nikriin.

These last two are pretty straightforward.  I liked how you said "all the Men that can be found".  The second one is good as well, my only comment would be to stick with either "hi" (formal) or "ho" (informal) and not switch between the two.  I know what you were going for, the first being more honorable, the second being a threat or insult, but the same form of "you" should be used throughout.

Overall, very nice work on the exercises!  I'm excited to see your work on "The Betrayed"!

Britdur
March 19, 2013
paarthurnax

Thank you, i am glad to hear i did good! Ahaa, i will remember that for the next time *writes it in notebook*. The exercises and the project i am writting as well in my leather journal, though that did be a fun thing to do too. Now i have a reason to use my book, since it was just poorly laying there in the corner of my desk getting all dusty hehe.

by Britdur
March 19, 2013
paarthurnax

Thank you, i am glad to hear i did good! Ahaa, i will remember that for the next time *writes it in notebook*. The exercises and the project i am writting as well in my leather journal, though that did be a fun thing to do too. Now i have a reason to use my book, since it was just poorly laying there in the corner of my desk getting all dusty hehe.

Britdur
March 19, 2013
paarthurnax

Haha yes, i though it did be a good twist, i was exactly aiming for that, but i didn't knew i should have sticked with one ''you'', i shall remember this for the next time. Thank you again, i had really fun doing this short exercise, it was a good way to get into it and warm up/preparation for The Betrayed and the project.

by Britdur
March 19, 2013
paarthurnax

Haha yes, i though it did be a good twist, i was exactly aiming for that, but i didn't knew i should have sticked with one ''you'', i shall remember this for the next time. Thank you again, i had really fun doing this short exercise, it was a good way to get into it and warm up/preparation for The Betrayed and the project.

Britdur
March 23, 2013

And finally i am done with the piece ''The Betrayed''. It was quite a challenge  but i had my fun with it! I did the best as i could with the knowledge i have mustered  in the short time. So here it goes.

My translation.
Faal Grutlaan.

Ahrk rul faal kulaanseod mah kotin faal golt.
Faal odfahliil vaazaan avok ahrk amol.
Nu qahnaaraan ahrk hevnogaar kast.
Fod pah gruntaan nust drey mindok.

Faal ont krahven au niist karaak.
Nutiid orraalaan voth faal yosseyol.
Ahrk aan kah tol lost ont niistah.
Lingrah vodahmin voth niist for.

Volkaan nol niist hofkiinselizfo.
Dahlaan kotin faal vedaak volsevulon.
Nahl ko faas ol niist hadrim meyz sizaan.
Ol faal haan do niist miin feim hond.

Kast ahkr Imaaraan.
Fos ont lost haan straagaan wah vulom.
Enarah ahrk grutaan.
mahvon mol krotin faal ruudsevozuriim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Original piece.
The Betrayed.

And when the snow prince fell to the ground.
The ice elves divided above and below.
Now vanquished and brutally bound.
One moment had shattered all they did know.

The once cool wind on their skin.
Now replaced with the heat of the flame.
And a pride once felt deep within.
Forgotten along with their name.

Torn from their home of ice and frost.
Thrown into the pitch black dread of night.
Living in fear as their minds become lost.
As their eyes began dimming the light.

Chained and enslaved.
What once was light turned to blackness.
Alone and betrayed.
Sinking deeper into madness.

by Britdur
March 23, 2013

And finally i am done with the piece ''The Betrayed''. It was quite a challenge  but i had my fun with it! I did the best as i could with the knowledge i have mustered  in the short time. So here it goes.

My translation.
Faal Grutlaan.

Kast ahkr Imaaraan.
Enarah ahrk grutaan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Original piece.
The Betrayed.

And when the snow prince fell to the ground.
The ice elves divided above and below.
Now vanquished and brutally bound.
One moment had shattered all they did know.

The once cool wind on their skin.
Now replaced with the heat of the flame.
And a pride once felt deep within.
Forgotten along with their name.

Torn from their home of ice and frost.
Thrown into the pitch black dread of night.
Living in fear as their minds become lost.
As their eyes began dimming the light.

Chained and enslaved.
What once was light turned to blackness.
Alone and betrayed.
Sinking deeper into madness.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 23, 2013

This is wonderful!  I'm going to go stanza by stanza here.

Good use of a compound here!  I would would probably use "ko" instead of "kotin", as the Snow Prince is falling to the ground, rather than into the ground (he is presumably buried later, but this is describing the moment he falls in battle).

Since this is in past simple tense, it would be simply "vaaz" instead of "vaazaan".  You can add "drey vaaz" to solidify it as past tense if you want.  "Vaaz" works, but "Bovul" or "Graan" might have worked better to instill the sense that they are fleeing.

The third line is very well written, excellent use of suffixes here!  In the last line, I like the wording but I think it could use an extra word, "When all had shattered that they know", just to give it more clarity.

by paarthurnax
March 23, 2013

This is wonderful!  I'm going to go stanza by stanza here.

Good use of a compound here!  I would would probably use "ko" instead of "kotin", as the Snow Prince is falling to the ground, rather than into the ground (he is presumably buried later, but this is describing the moment he falls in battle).

Since this is in past simple tense, it would be simply "vaaz" instead of "vaazaan".  You can add "drey vaaz" to solidify it as past tense if you want.  "Vaaz" works, but "Bovul" or "Graan" might have worked better to instill the sense that they are fleeing.

The third line is very well written, excellent use of suffixes here!  In the last line, I like the wording but I think it could use an extra word, "When all had shattered that they know", just to give it more clarity.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 23, 2013

As we discussed, you'd separate "krah" and "ven".  You might not use both instances of "faal" here since they're not referring to a proper noun (compound words aren't necessarily formal).  Other than that, you've phrased this very well!

by paarthurnax
March 23, 2013

As we discussed, you'd separate "krah" and "ven".  You might not use both instances of "faal" here since they're not referring to a proper noun (compound words aren't necessarily formal).  Other than that, you've phrased this very well!

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 23, 2013

I would probably not make a compound out of "home of ice and frost", if you wanted to translate it literally, or cut out one of the two.  "hofkiinsefo", or "hofkiin do fo/iiz."  Compound words don't imply "ahrk" if you try to string multiple nouns together, so it would end up translating to "home of ice frost."

You also have some nice alliteration in the second line!  "vedaak volsevulon".  Again, I would also consider removing "faal" here for the same reasons as before.  Your phrasing of the last line is really well done.

by paarthurnax
March 23, 2013

I would probably not make a compound out of "home of ice and frost", if you wanted to translate it literally, or cut out one of the two.  "hofkiinsefo", or "hofkiin do fo/iiz."  Compound words don't imply "ahrk" if you try to string multiple nouns together, so it would end up translating to "home of ice frost."

You also have some nice alliteration in the second line!  "vedaak volsevulon".  Again, I would also consider removing "faal" here for the same reasons as before.  Your phrasing of the last line is really well done.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 23, 2013

Kast ahkr Imaaraan.
Enarah ahrk grutaan.

Just a quick spelling correction: "ahrk".  "Straagaan" is okay, it's in simple past in the original but present perfect works with the rest of the poem.  I would cut out "faal" again, and your last word is really haunting.  It's not just "madness", but the "depths of insanity".

This is an excellent translation!  You used prefixes and suffixes very well, and phrased things in ways that really brought out or even enhanced the original meaning.  Some tense inconsistencies, compound words, and uses of "faal" are the main corrections here.

If you'd like, care to write a revised version below?  When this is finished, I'd love to feature it on the front page because it's really well done!

by paarthurnax
March 23, 2013

Kast ahkr Imaaraan.
Enarah ahrk grutaan.

Just a quick spelling correction: "ahrk".  "Straagaan" is okay, it's in simple past in the original but present perfect works with the rest of the poem.  I would cut out "faal" again, and your last word is really haunting.  It's not just "madness", but the "depths of insanity".

This is an excellent translation!  You used prefixes and suffixes very well, and phrased things in ways that really brought out or even enhanced the original meaning.  Some tense inconsistencies, compound words, and uses of "faal" are the main corrections here.

If you'd like, care to write a revised version below?  When this is finished, I'd love to feature it on the front page because it's really well done!

Britdur
March 25, 2013
paarthurnax

Oh wow i completely forgot to seperate krah and ven, i thought i did, silly me! And i am glad you like how i twisted madness into a more darker version, i thought it did fitted more and giving it more a depth. Care? i would love to! I will work on the revised version soon as i can! It will be an honor.

by Britdur
March 25, 2013
paarthurnax

Oh wow i completely forgot to seperate krah and ven, i thought i did, silly me! And i am glad you like how i twisted madness into a more darker version, i thought it did fitted more and giving it more a depth. Care? i would love to! I will work on the revised version soon as i can! It will be an honor.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.