Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Any Good Elder Scrolls 5 Easter Eggs

gofferman
April 17, 2014

Andybody got any? and i dont mean glitches...

by gofferman
April 17, 2014

Andybody got any? and i dont mean glitches...

Alduin The World Eater
April 17, 2014

There is the lady in the lake, Star Wars there is tons I even know a reference to TES4: Oblivion

by Alduin The World Eater
April 17, 2014

There is the lady in the lake, Star Wars there is tons I even know a reference to TES4: Oblivion

gofferman
April 17, 2014

alright thanks, ill look up more later and post them in a long list maybe

by gofferman
April 17, 2014

alright thanks, ill look up more later and post them in a long list maybe

gofferman
April 17, 2014

-300 Reference

If you head just south of the Shrine to Peryite, only small journey west of Karthwasten, North-North East of the Lover Stone, you will come across a skeleton (about halfway up the mountain). If you look just to the side of the skeleton you will see a sabre cat stuck between two rocks with a glass sword through its mouth and head. This is a reference to the scene in 300 where Leonidas leads a wolf to a narrow passage then stabs it through the mouth with a spear.

-Choose Your Own Adventure

A Choose Your Own Adventure style book can be found in Kolb and the Dragon.

-Finntroll reference

Combining the title of the book "Troll Slaying" with the author's name, makes the word Finn-Troll, the same name as that of the Finnish folk metal band Finntroll. Many Finntroll songs contain lyrics involving the fighting of trolls also. A copy can be found in the bookcase of Farengar Secret-Fire at Dragonsreach in Whiterun.

-The Headless Horseman

At night along roads you have a chance of encountering a spectral horseman without a head galloping along at full tilt. He carries an axe on his back, which is likely a reference to Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". If you follow him, he eventually takes you to Hamvir's Rest, where there are several skeletons to fight and a Master chest.

-Katatonia

During the quest Darkness Returns in the Pilgrim's Path while returning the Skeleton key, a book titled "Nydstrom's Diary" is found, Nydstrom being the guitarist from prominent Swedish progressive metal band Katatonia. It contains several references to the band's music including "Night is the New Day" from their latest album and "Ghost of the Sun," a song from another album.

-The Legend of King Arthur

If you have found Broken Tower Redoubt, directly south of it there will be a place called Rebel's Cairn where you will find a pile of stones in the front of the cave and there will be a Steel Sword in the top stone, which is a reference to the sword in the stone in the legend of King Arthur.

Slightly Northeast of Bleakwind Basin, there is a pond with a skeletal arm holding a leveled sword, which is a reference to the Lady in the Lake in the legend of King Arthur.

The Lady Stone is found in the middle of a lake, another reference to the Lady in the Lake.

-Lord of the Rings

In Whiterun, the giant tree there is called the Gildergreen. It is grown from the Eldergleam, the oldest living thing in Skyrim, but it is dying. This is similar to the Gondorian capital of Minas Tirith in Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, where the legendary White Tree faces a similar fate.
In Whiterun, during Battle for Whiterun, Hadvar or Ralof can be seen near the city wall after the battle. Whichever one is present makes a reference to Legolas and Gimli's ongoing competition in the movies: "I'm pretty sure I killed more than you. I was counting."
During "A Night to Remember" one of the tasks is to obtain a wedding ring from a hagraven named Moira who will say "My precious" while trying to get the ring from her, in reference to Gollum.
When joining the Companions, Vilkas and Kodlak discuss the player's worthiness. Kodlak comments "What matters is their heart." to which Vilkas responds "And their arm". This is likely an intentional reference to the exchange between Eowyn and Eomer in Return of the King over Merry going to battle with the Rohirrim, in which Eomer comments "It is not his heart that I doubt, only the reach of his arm."

-Minecraft

The Notched Pickaxe is a reference to "Notch", the creator of Minecraft. As a pickaxe it is used for mining and it features an enchantment that boosts Smithing, Skyrim's method of crafting. Its hidden-yet-noteworthy location combined with its lack of appearance in any other TES game confirm its Easter Egg nature.

-Pac-Man

In Endon's House in Markarth, look for a shelf in the back of the room with Sliced Goat Cheese, a row of Garlic and some Glow Dust arranged to look like a scene from Pac-Man.

-The Pied Piper

The Dampened Spirits quest involves killing Hamelyn. His name, as well as his journal, both describe events similar to those in the myth, Pied Piper.

-Star Trek reference

In the village of Ivarstead, there is a woman named Temba Wide-Arm. This is a reference to the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode Darmok, where one of the often-repeated phrases is "Temba, his arms wide."

-Star Wars reference

Inside of Bleakcoast Cave (Eastern Winterhold), there is a skeleton hanging upside down from the ceiling. Below the skeleton is a glowing sword. This makes reference to Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back whenLuke Skywalker was caught on Hoth and hung from the cavern ceiling. The sword below representing his lightsaber.

This marks the second time Bethesda has put this Easter Egg in an Elder Scrolls game. A similar cave existed in Bloodmoon called Bjorn, referencing exactly the same scene of exactly the same movie in exactly the same manner.

If you travel with the ghost of Lucien Lachance he will some times say "I feel a disturbance in the void" which is very similar to the phrase "I feel a disturbance in the force" from the Star Wars movies which is often mentioned by Jedi.
Inside of Frostfruit Inn Erik can be heard talking to his father, with his father telling him "all I ask is that you stay on for one more season" and "that's just your mother's side in you." This is in reference to Uncle Owen's conversation with Luke in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Also, Calcelmo can be heard telling his nephew, Aicantar "Next season for sure".

-Three Billy Goats Gruff

On your way to Hag Rock Redoubt, there is a bridge with a dead Troll underneath. If it's your first time visiting, you will witness two goats meeting a third at the end of the bridge then running off together. This is a reference to the child's tale, "Three Billy Goats Gruff," where a troll is defeated by a trio of goats. A similar reference was made inOblivion, as well as this, there can be dead goats in caves where trolls are, which could further extend this reference.

-Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

Inside Blackreach you will find a building called the War Quarters. Inside these quarters, you'll find one room with 7 small beds, placed in a circle around a lantern. This may be a reference to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Opposite of the bedroom is a hallway and at the end another bedroom, where a much larger double-bed is found.

-Ghostbusters 2 reference

In the Soul Cairn, the player can find a soul that says "Death is but a door, time is but a window: I'll be back."  These were the last words of Vigo the Carpathian, the main antagonist of the film Ghostbusters 2'.

Misc:

-The East Empire Company is a reference to the East India Company.

-Sovngarde and The Hall of Valor have very notable similarities to Asgard and Valhalla respectively from Norse myth.

-The Poetic Edda sought by the Bards College reflects a collection of texts of the same name from Old Norse culture.

-A mammoth can be found directly east of Frostflow Lighthouse, frozen into the side of a glacier with arrows and what appear to be prehistoric spears embedded in its hide. The arrows in the mammoth appear to be Dwarven, hinting that the Dwemer may have killed this beast. This a Reference to a Mammoth frozen in ice and recovered in the 1990s.

-High Hrothgar is obviously named after Hrothgar, the real life king of Denmark who was also a character in the epic poem Beowulf. This name was used in Christopher Paolini's Eragon book series too.

-Mercer Frey says "The die is cast" before he engages the Dovahkiin in combat during the quest Blindsighted. This is a reference to Julius Caesar's quote when he crossed the Rubicon and started a civil war.

by gofferman
April 17, 2014

-300 Reference

If you head just south of the Shrine to Peryite, only small journey west of Karthwasten, North-North East of the Lover Stone, you will come across a skeleton (about halfway up the mountain). If you look just to the side of the skeleton you will see a sabre cat stuck between two rocks with a glass sword through its mouth and head. This is a reference to the scene in 300 where Leonidas leads a wolf to a narrow passage then stabs it through the mouth with a spear.

-Choose Your Own Adventure

A Choose Your Own Adventure style book can be found in Kolb and the Dragon.

-Finntroll reference

Combining the title of the book "Troll Slaying" with the author's name, makes the word Finn-Troll, the same name as that of the Finnish folk metal band Finntroll. Many Finntroll songs contain lyrics involving the fighting of trolls also. A copy can be found in the bookcase of Farengar Secret-Fire at Dragonsreach in Whiterun.

-The Headless Horseman

At night along roads you have a chance of encountering a spectral horseman without a head galloping along at full tilt. He carries an axe on his back, which is likely a reference to Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". If you follow him, he eventually takes you to Hamvir's Rest, where there are several skeletons to fight and a Master chest.

-Katatonia

During the quest Darkness Returns in the Pilgrim's Path while returning the Skeleton key, a book titled "Nydstrom's Diary" is found, Nydstrom being the guitarist from prominent Swedish progressive metal band Katatonia. It contains several references to the band's music including "Night is the New Day" from their latest album and "Ghost of the Sun," a song from another album.

-The Legend of King Arthur

If you have found Broken Tower Redoubt, directly south of it there will be a place called Rebel's Cairn where you will find a pile of stones in the front of the cave and there will be a Steel Sword in the top stone, which is a reference to the sword in the stone in the legend of King Arthur.

Slightly Northeast of Bleakwind Basin, there is a pond with a skeletal arm holding a leveled sword, which is a reference to the Lady in the Lake in the legend of King Arthur.

The Lady Stone is found in the middle of a lake, another reference to the Lady in the Lake.

-Lord of the Rings

In Whiterun, the giant tree there is called the Gildergreen. It is grown from the Eldergleam, the oldest living thing in Skyrim, but it is dying. This is similar to the Gondorian capital of Minas Tirith in Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, where the legendary White Tree faces a similar fate.
In Whiterun, during Battle for Whiterun, Hadvar or Ralof can be seen near the city wall after the battle. Whichever one is present makes a reference to Legolas and Gimli's ongoing competition in the movies: "I'm pretty sure I killed more than you. I was counting."
During "A Night to Remember" one of the tasks is to obtain a wedding ring from a hagraven named Moira who will say "My precious" while trying to get the ring from her, in reference to Gollum.
When joining the Companions, Vilkas and Kodlak discuss the player's worthiness. Kodlak comments "What matters is their heart." to which Vilkas responds "And their arm". This is likely an intentional reference to the exchange between Eowyn and Eomer in Return of the King over Merry going to battle with the Rohirrim, in which Eomer comments "It is not his heart that I doubt, only the reach of his arm."

-Minecraft

The Notched Pickaxe is a reference to "Notch", the creator of Minecraft. As a pickaxe it is used for mining and it features an enchantment that boosts Smithing, Skyrim's method of crafting. Its hidden-yet-noteworthy location combined with its lack of appearance in any other TES game confirm its Easter Egg nature.

-Pac-Man

In Endon's House in Markarth, look for a shelf in the back of the room with Sliced Goat Cheese, a row of Garlic and some Glow Dust arranged to look like a scene from Pac-Man.

-The Pied Piper

The Dampened Spirits quest involves killing Hamelyn. His name, as well as his journal, both describe events similar to those in the myth, Pied Piper.

-Star Trek reference

In the village of Ivarstead, there is a woman named Temba Wide-Arm. This is a reference to the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode Darmok, where one of the often-repeated phrases is "Temba, his arms wide."

-Star Wars reference

Inside of Bleakcoast Cave (Eastern Winterhold), there is a skeleton hanging upside down from the ceiling. Below the skeleton is a glowing sword. This makes reference to Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back whenLuke Skywalker was caught on Hoth and hung from the cavern ceiling. The sword below representing his lightsaber.

This marks the second time Bethesda has put this Easter Egg in an Elder Scrolls game. A similar cave existed in Bloodmoon called Bjorn, referencing exactly the same scene of exactly the same movie in exactly the same manner.

If you travel with the ghost of Lucien Lachance he will some times say "I feel a disturbance in the void" which is very similar to the phrase "I feel a disturbance in the force" from the Star Wars movies which is often mentioned by Jedi.
Inside of Frostfruit Inn Erik can be heard talking to his father, with his father telling him "all I ask is that you stay on for one more season" and "that's just your mother's side in you." This is in reference to Uncle Owen's conversation with Luke in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Also, Calcelmo can be heard telling his nephew, Aicantar "Next season for sure".

-Three Billy Goats Gruff

On your way to Hag Rock Redoubt, there is a bridge with a dead Troll underneath. If it's your first time visiting, you will witness two goats meeting a third at the end of the bridge then running off together. This is a reference to the child's tale, "Three Billy Goats Gruff," where a troll is defeated by a trio of goats. A similar reference was made inOblivion, as well as this, there can be dead goats in caves where trolls are, which could further extend this reference.

-Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

Inside Blackreach you will find a building called the War Quarters. Inside these quarters, you'll find one room with 7 small beds, placed in a circle around a lantern. This may be a reference to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Opposite of the bedroom is a hallway and at the end another bedroom, where a much larger double-bed is found.

-Ghostbusters 2 reference

In the Soul Cairn, the player can find a soul that says "Death is but a door, time is but a window: I'll be back."  These were the last words of Vigo the Carpathian, the main antagonist of the film Ghostbusters 2'.

Misc:

-The East Empire Company is a reference to the East India Company.

-Sovngarde and The Hall of Valor have very notable similarities to Asgard and Valhalla respectively from Norse myth.

-The Poetic Edda sought by the Bards College reflects a collection of texts of the same name from Old Norse culture.

-A mammoth can be found directly east of Frostflow Lighthouse, frozen into the side of a glacier with arrows and what appear to be prehistoric spears embedded in its hide. The arrows in the mammoth appear to be Dwarven, hinting that the Dwemer may have killed this beast. This a Reference to a Mammoth frozen in ice and recovered in the 1990s.

-High Hrothgar is obviously named after Hrothgar, the real life king of Denmark who was also a character in the epic poem Beowulf. This name was used in Christopher Paolini's Eragon book series too.

-Mercer Frey says "The die is cast" before he engages the Dovahkiin in combat during the quest Blindsighted. This is a reference to Julius Caesar's quote when he crossed the Rubicon and started a civil war.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 17, 2014

I moved the above post to this thread so this can all be in one place.

by paarthurnax
April 17, 2014

I moved the above post to this thread so this can all be in one place.

gofferman
April 18, 2014

alright

by gofferman
April 18, 2014

alright

IrkbaanDinokVen
April 20, 2014

The notched pickaxe can also be a reference to the two explorers in 1924 who went missing while climbing Mount Everest. The only thing found thought to be there's was a pickaxe near the peak that was marked (or notched) with an engraving that one of the exploeres would mark on his pickaxes with. However it's not really known if the pick in Skyrim is a reference to this or Minecraft. Could be both?

by IrkbaanDinokVen
April 20, 2014

The notched pickaxe can also be a reference to the two explorers in 1924 who went missing while climbing Mount Everest. The only thing found thought to be there's was a pickaxe near the peak that was marked (or notched) with an engraving that one of the exploeres would mark on his pickaxes with. However it's not really known if the pick in Skyrim is a reference to this or Minecraft. Could be both?

Mirkrilaar
April 20, 2014

Theres a hidden chest in Dawnstar. Its invisible but it is hidden in a rock. You can look it up on youtube because its better to see than to say.

by Mirkrilaar
April 20, 2014

Theres a hidden chest in Dawnstar. Its invisible but it is hidden in a rock. You can look it up on youtube because its better to see than to say.

gofferman
April 20, 2014

lorotonikaan, i know theirs also one in markarth, falkreath, and whiterun

by gofferman
April 20, 2014

lorotonikaan, i know theirs also one in markarth, falkreath, and whiterun

Malboviing
January 29, 2016

The hidden chest thing is the Khajiit caravans selling inventory, and possibly a couple other merchants.

by Malboviing
January 29, 2016

The hidden chest thing is the Khajiit caravans selling inventory, and possibly a couple other merchants.

HevnoKeinIn
March 4, 2016
Very useful... thanks a lot! I only knew about notched pickaxe, and i didn't even expect that skyrim have so many easter eggs
by HevnoKeinIn
March 4, 2016
Very useful... thanks a lot! I only knew about notched pickaxe, and i didn't even expect that skyrim have so many easter eggs

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.