A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul Numbers

1  2 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 22, 2014

The existing number system can be found on this old (ancient?) lesson page. Numbers are formed literally like so: "two and two-ten" for "22", "four and five-ten and three-hundred" for "354". Essentially a combination of addition and multiplication from the smallest digit to the largest.

The teens were compounded like so "Geinahmen", "Ziinahmen", "Sedahmen", etc.

I think there's general agreement that the number system should be different. The question is, what should it be like? There have been a couple of suggestions around the community so here's a place for that discussion to formally happen.

Share your thoughts!

by paarthurnax
April 22, 2014

The existing number system can be found on this old (ancient?) lesson page. Numbers are formed literally like so: "two and two-ten" for "22", "four and five-ten and three-hundred" for "354". Essentially a combination of addition and multiplication from the smallest digit to the largest.

The teens were compounded like so "Geinahmen", "Ziinahmen", "Sedahmen", etc.

I think there's general agreement that the number system should be different. The question is, what should it be like? There have been a couple of suggestions around the community so here's a place for that discussion to formally happen.

Share your thoughts!

Mahlaansaviik
April 22, 2014

I'm somewhat new, but would it be impossible or wrong to just create words for hundred and thousand? That way, translating would be easier since it is a more direct translation. 

Or we could create a suffix that denotes the tenth place which the number is in. Like six-ty and seven-ty.

by Mahlaansaviik
April 22, 2014

I'm somewhat new, but would it be impossible or wrong to just create words for hundred and thousand? That way, translating would be easier since it is a more direct translation. 

Or we could create a suffix that denotes the tenth place which the number is in. Like six-ty and seven-ty.

TRBagon
April 22, 2014

My idea was very similar to yours Mahlaansaviik. It's the one I think would work well, but I'm curious on other people's opinions as well.

by TRBagon
April 22, 2014

My idea was very similar to yours Mahlaansaviik. It's the one I think would work well, but I'm curious on other people's opinions as well.

Loniizrath
April 22, 2014

I thought of a new system as well. I'm not sure how to explain it, so I'll just show you.

• Seventy-three would be written like this: zos-men sed (seven-ten three)
  • Two-hundred-sixty-one = ziin-ben sok-men gein (two-hundred six-ten one)
  • One-hundred = ben (hundred)
  • One-hundred-thirty = ben sed-men (hundred three-ten)

Any questions, comments, or suggestions?

by Loniizrath
April 22, 2014

I thought of a new system as well. I'm not sure how to explain it, so I'll just show you.

• One-hundred = ben (hundred)
  • One-hundred-thirty = ben sed-men (hundred three-ten)

Mahlaansaviik
April 23, 2014
Toxikyle

• One-hundred = bek (hundred)
  • One-hundred-thirty = bek sed-men (hundred three-ten)

So whenever you use "hundred" after a number it becomes "ben" and not "bek". Or is that just a typo for ziin-ben? Because I like your idea so far.

by Mahlaansaviik
April 23, 2014
Toxikyle

So whenever you use "hundred" after a number it becomes "ben" and not "bek". Or is that just a typo for ziin-ben? Because I like your idea so far.

Loniizrath
April 23, 2014
Mahlaansaviik
Toxikyle

Thanks for catching my mistake. It should be ben.
by Loniizrath
April 23, 2014
Mahlaansaviik
Toxikyle

Thanks for catching my mistake. It should be ben.

Foduiiz
April 26, 2014

I think I have a more straight-forward system... Numbers are expressed digit by digit, left to right.

17 = gein zos; one seven

314 = sed gein hir; three one four

9,538,317 = nen, hen sed eln, sed gein zos; nine, five three eight, three one seven

3.141 = sed (word for point?) gein hir gein; three point one four one

by Foduiiz
April 26, 2014

I think I have a more straight-forward system... Numbers are expressed digit by digit, left to right.

17 = gein zos; one seven

9,538,317 = nen, hen sed eln, sed gein zos; nine, five three eight, three one seven

Loniizrath
April 26, 2014
qobofus

17 = gein zos; one seven

Zahd is the word for point. sed zahd gein hir gein.

Also, how would you be able to tell the difference between listing different numbers and saying one long number?

by Loniizrath
April 26, 2014
qobofus

17 = gein zos; one seven

Zahd is the word for point. sed zahd gein hir gein.

Also, how would you be able to tell the difference between listing different numbers and saying one long number?

Naxsuleykdinok
April 26, 2014

Paarth, I've already done the numbers 1-100. o.o You asked me, remember?

by Naxsuleykdinok
April 26, 2014

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 26, 2014
Naxsuleykdinok

Yup, this is about changing the number system from the old one to be easier to use and speak.

by paarthurnax
April 26, 2014
Naxsuleykdinok

Yup, this is about changing the number system from the old one to be easier to use and speak.

Foduiiz
April 27, 2014
Toxikyle

You could express numbers in a list using ahrk. Single numbers would still be said digit after digit, no words added, just so that long numbers wouldn't take an age to say.

• 17 = gein-zos; one-seven
  • 1, 2, 3, 4 = gein ahrk ziin ahrk sed ahrk hir; one and two and three and four
  • 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 = hir ahrk eln ahrk gein-sok ahrk sed-ziin ahrk sok-hir; four and eight and one-six and three-two and six-four​

​You could even shorten ahrk to ah just to speed up speech of long number lists.

by Foduiiz
April 27, 2014
Toxikyle

You could express numbers in a list using ahrk. Single numbers would still be said digit after digit, no words added, just so that long numbers wouldn't take an age to say.

• 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 = hir ahrk eln ahrk gein-sok ahrk sed-ziin ahrk sok-hir; four and eight and one-six and three-two and six-four​

​You could even shorten ahrk to ah just to speed up speech of long number lists.

Mahlaansaviik
April 27, 2014
qobofus
Toxikyle

I think it would be better to create words or suxixes for thousand and hundred. Imo your way is good in that it is simplistic, but it would be too hard to follow in speech. Take for example 3,000,000. Using your way we would have to say "Sed-Nul-Nul-Nul-Nul-Nul-etc. But if we had a word/ suffix for million it would be much easier.

by Mahlaansaviik
April 27, 2014
qobofus
Toxikyle

I think it would be better to create words or suxixes for thousand and hundred. Imo your way is good in that it is simplistic, but it would be too hard to follow in speech. Take for example 3,000,000. Using your way we would have to say "Sed-Nul-Nul-Nul-Nul-Nul-etc. But if we had a word/ suffix for million it would be much easier.

Foduiiz
April 27, 2014
Mahlaansaviik

But if we had a word/ suffix for million it would be much easier.

Vahzah

by Foduiiz
April 27, 2014
Mahlaansaviik

But if we had a word/ suffix for million it would be much easier.

Vahzah

TRBagon
April 28, 2014

I think that a suffix to turn a one digit number to it's ten version would make it more simple.

by TRBagon
April 28, 2014

I think that a suffix to turn a one digit number to it's ten version would make it more simple.

Ahmuldein
May 30, 2014

Its sad that I didn't even know that there were numbers in Dovahzul. 

by Ahmuldein
May 30, 2014

Its sad that I didn't even know that there were numbers in Dovahzul. 

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.