Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Bible Names

Rokfentjer
April 23, 2014

Extraplolating from the 'Translating IRL Religious Texts' thread, I have taken it upon myself to change major names from the Bible into Dovahzul. Now, I have translated and transliterated several of the more popluar names, in an effort to decide whether to translate the actual meanings of the names into Dovahzul, or to transliterate the names so as to keep the English pronunciations but have them take on a Dovahzul spelling. Let me know which way you like!

• Yahweh

Rokwolos “He Who Is”, from "He Who Exists"

Transliterated: Yahwe

• Jesus Christ

Rahlossavend: “God Is Salvation", from "Yahweh is Salvation"

Qelekaht “(The) Anointed”, from "The Anointed (One)"

Transliterated: Jiizus Kreist

• Mary

Hindfahkiir “Wish(ed) For Child”, from  "Wished for Child"

Transliterated: Meyrii

• Moses

Nolfinlom "From the Water", from "Saved from the Water"

Transliterated: Mozes

• Judah

Weridaht "Praised", from "Praised"

Transliterated: Juudah

by Rokfentjer
April 23, 2014

Extraplolating from the 'Translating IRL Religious Texts' thread, I have taken it upon myself to change major names from the Bible into Dovahzul. Now, I have translated and transliterated several of the more popluar names, in an effort to decide whether to translate the actual meanings of the names into Dovahzul, or to transliterate the names so as to keep the English pronunciations but have them take on a Dovahzul spelling. Let me know which way you like!

• Yahweh

Rokwolos “He Who Is”, from "He Who Exists"

Transliterated: Yahwe

• Jesus Christ

Rahlossavend: “God Is Salvation", from "Yahweh is Salvation"

Qelekaht “(The) Anointed”, from "The Anointed (One)"

Transliterated: Jiizus Kreist

• Mary

Hindfahkiir “Wish(ed) For Child”, from  "Wished for Child"

Transliterated: Meyrii

• Moses

Nolfinlom "From the Water", from "Saved from the Water"

Transliterated: Mozes

• Judah

Weridaht "Praised", from "Praised"

Transliterated: Juudah

hiith
April 23, 2014

I think that Jesus's name should be, in Dovahzul, "yeshuwah" from what's probably his real name (I think, after some research), "Yeshuwa". And Peter should be "petrus", from his actual Greek name (with same spelling). What I'm trying to say is this: I think we should derive names from the people's original-tongue name.

by hiith
April 23, 2014

I think that Jesus's name should be, in Dovahzul, "yeshuwah" from what's probably his real name (I think, after some research), "Yeshuwa". And Peter should be "petrus", from his actual Greek name (with same spelling). What I'm trying to say is this: I think we should derive names from the people's original-tongue name.

Onikdojyah
April 23, 2014

This is actually a very interesting concept! I fully support it, and I believe the meanings should be more translated than the names, as Dovahzul, to my understanding, is a language based on meaning more than name, even the names of various Dov are Shouts, and each has its own meaning.

by Onikdojyah
April 23, 2014

This is actually a very interesting concept! I fully support it, and I believe the meanings should be more translated than the names, as Dovahzul, to my understanding, is a language based on meaning more than name, even the names of various Dov are Shouts, and each has its own meaning.

Volburkiin
April 27, 2014

What about Ishmael? It means "God Heard."

by Volburkiin
April 27, 2014

What about Ishmael? It means "God Heard."

Onikdojyah
April 28, 2014

If I may, what would your translation be for the name Enoch? (EE-nok)

by Onikdojyah
April 28, 2014

If I may, what would your translation be for the name Enoch? (EE-nok)

Rokfentjer
April 29, 2014
  • Ishmael

either Rahlosthon for the formal translation of Ishmael as "God Has Hear(d)", or Rahhon for the informal "God Hear(d)."

• Enoch

Selrakaht, "Devoted," from the meaning of Enoch: Dedicated. Used 'devoted' instead of 'dedicated' because it gets the meaning across more clearly in Dovahzul.

As a side note, I am now intending to use the name 'Rahlossavend' to represent the name 'Joshua', and Rahsavend to represent 'Jesus', in order to emulate the contraction of the name 'Yehoshua' (Joshua) to 'Yeshua' (Jesus).

And yes, I am going forward with translating the names as opposed to transliterating them because, as Onikdojyah stated, Dovahzul is all about meaning.

by Rokfentjer
April 29, 2014
  • Ishmael

either Rahlosthon for the formal translation of Ishmael as "God Has Hear(d)", or Rahhon for the informal "God Hear(d)."

• Enoch

Selrakaht, "Devoted," from the meaning of Enoch: Dedicated. Used 'devoted' instead of 'dedicated' because it gets the meaning across more clearly in Dovahzul.

As a side note, I am now intending to use the name 'Rahlossavend' to represent the name 'Joshua', and Rahsavend to represent 'Jesus', in order to emulate the contraction of the name 'Yehoshua' (Joshua) to 'Yeshua' (Jesus).

And yes, I am going forward with translating the names as opposed to transliterating them because, as Onikdojyah stated, Dovahzul is all about meaning.

Onikdojyah
May 6, 2014

I am happy to help. As my Name states, I have become Wise, but I never forget my purpose; to furtherly Learn the entirety of the words and language of Dovahzul, hence I Seek people like you who are devoted wordsmiths, and learn from you. Might I ask for a translation of the Archangelic Enoch known as Metatron?

by Onikdojyah
May 6, 2014

I am happy to help. As my Name states, I have become Wise, but I never forget my purpose; to furtherly Learn the entirety of the words and language of Dovahzul, hence I Seek people like you who are devoted wordsmiths, and learn from you. Might I ask for a translation of the Archangelic Enoch known as Metatron?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.