Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word and Letter Frequency

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 28, 2014

qobofus and I decided to put some statistics together regarding letter frequency and word frequency in the dragon language. Here's what we came up with!

First is a table and a chart depecting letter frequency in all the words of the language. Letters such as "aa" and "ii" are counted separately from "a" and "i."

The left column contains the letter frequency of only the canon language. The right column contains the letter frequency of the whole dictionary. Gray notes letter frequencies that remain the same. Blue notes letters that have become more frequent and red notes letters that have become less frequent.

There are some changes but after 4,000+ new words, it's amazingly consistent! It looks like we could be using letters such as ah, i, w, q, and oo more often in new words.

Next, qobofus compiled a list of word frequency using all of the text from Word Walls.

Do "of" is by far the most common word followed by wah "to." Fin "the" is much lower than "the" would be in English, which goes to show that it is often left out.

by paarthurnax
May 28, 2014

qobofus and I decided to put some statistics together regarding letter frequency and word frequency in the dragon language. Here's what we came up with!

First is a table and a chart depecting letter frequency in all the words of the language. Letters such as "aa" and "ii" are counted separately from "a" and "i."

The left column contains the letter frequency of only the canon language. The right column contains the letter frequency of the whole dictionary. Gray notes letter frequencies that remain the same. Blue notes letters that have become more frequent and red notes letters that have become less frequent.

There are some changes but after 4,000+ new words, it's amazingly consistent! It looks like we could be using letters such as ah, i, w, q, and oo more often in new words.

Next, qobofus compiled a list of word frequency using all of the text from Word Walls.

Do "of" is by far the most common word followed by wah "to." Fin "the" is much lower than "the" would be in English, which goes to show that it is often left out.

hiith
June 28, 2014

LINK

^ a wordle of word walls, The song of the Dragonborn, and The Mighty Foduiiz: death of an empire

by hiith
June 28, 2014

LINK

^ a wordle of word walls, The song of the Dragonborn, and The Mighty Foduiiz: death of an empire

Morovahdin
June 29, 2014

These statistics are wonderful. If only I could think of more things to compare . . .

This makes me want to determine the frequencies of various letters in the words that I (and other users) have submitted.

by Morovahdin
June 29, 2014

These statistics are wonderful. If only I could think of more things to compare . . .

This makes me want to determine the frequencies of various letters in the words that I (and other users) have submitted.

Drakpa
October 26, 2014

I just made another analysis of the letters frequency, and here is what I got:

That is funny to see how the frequency of each letter changes as we continue adding noew words to the dictionary. (Yes, I was too lazy to do the ranking as paarthurnax did)

by Drakpa
October 26, 2014

I just made another analysis of the letters frequency, and here is what I got:

That is funny to see how the frequency of each letter changes as we continue adding noew words to the dictionary. (Yes, I was too lazy to do the ranking as paarthurnax did)

Zauniglom
October 26, 2014

Wow, encryption wars? See who can create the hardest cipher, then the first to break it wins?

by Zauniglom
October 26, 2014

Wow, encryption wars? See who can create the hardest cipher, then the first to break it wins?

Drakpa
October 26, 2014

I actually made it for a side-project, but I would be fun if we could encrypt Dovahzul ^^ People would first have to understand it’s Dovahzul, and then run letter frequency analysis to find out we used an encryption method that can’t be cracked by letter frequency analysis… Just imagine!

by Drakpa
October 26, 2014

I actually made it for a side-project, but I would be fun if we could encrypt Dovahzul ^^ People would first have to understand it’s Dovahzul, and then run letter frequency analysis to find out we used an encryption method that can’t be cracked by letter frequency analysis… Just imagine!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.