Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

oo in Ustengrav Depths

hiith
May 31, 2014

I was (still am) playing Skyrim on my most recently-started playthrough, and I naturally had to retreive the horn of Jurgen Windcaller. While I was (am) in the Ustengrav Depths, I saw the word-wall at the bottom and decided to go for the new rotmulaag (it was "feim", as part of the "become ethereal" shout), and practice my Dovahzul reading skills (because I can and it's awesome). But something cought my eye: the last word on the second line. It spells out "enook", meaning "each", but what jumped out was this: the "oo" was two seperate runes instead of it's single dipthong rune.

What's going on here? Is this a mistake on Bethesda's part? Or is this acceptable? I don't know how to feel about this. I don't have any screenshots, as I play it on the xBox 360. But I looked around and it appears corrected here (link), but not here (link). I don't know if it ever was corrected on any other versions or anything. I don't see anything about this anywhere else, so I thought I'd share.

by hiith
May 31, 2014

I was (still am) playing Skyrim on my most recently-started playthrough, and I naturally had to retreive the horn of Jurgen Windcaller. While I was (am) in the Ustengrav Depths, I saw the word-wall at the bottom and decided to go for the new rotmulaag (it was "feim", as part of the "become ethereal" shout), and practice my Dovahzul reading skills (because I can and it's awesome). But something cought my eye: the last word on the second line. It spells out "enook", meaning "each", but what jumped out was this: the "oo" was two seperate runes instead of it's single dipthong rune.

What's going on here? Is this a mistake on Bethesda's part? Or is this acceptable? I don't know how to feel about this. I don't have any screenshots, as I play it on the xBox 360. But I looked around and it appears corrected here (link), but not here (link). I don't know if it ever was corrected on any other versions or anything. I don't see anything about this anywhere else, so I thought I'd share.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 31, 2014

Isn't it great to be able to read the Word Walls?

I wouldn't think too hard on it. It happens on the Dragonstone too, where the "ah" in mahlaan is spelled separately as "a-h." Considering the typos that happen in the dialogue subtitles as well, I'd chalk it up to a mistake. You could even say that the Nords who wrote these weren't skilled enough with the alphabet and either didn't know or forgot to use the special runes.

by paarthurnax
May 31, 2014

Isn't it great to be able to read the Word Walls?

I wouldn't think too hard on it. It happens on the Dragonstone too, where the "ah" in mahlaan is spelled separately as "a-h." Considering the typos that happen in the dialogue subtitles as well, I'd chalk it up to a mistake. You could even say that the Nords who wrote these weren't skilled enough with the alphabet and either didn't know or forgot to use the special runes.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.