Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Prima Games List & Canon

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 12, 2014

Prima Games has an online English to Dragon Language List containing many canon words and some notes. It's not identical to the version found in the printed guide, so there are words and notes here that do not appear anywhere else. There are also words that appear in this list that are not featured anywhere in the actual game - these include pel "to write," vum "beard," and gram "cloud."

I was curious about the origin of these words and some of the notes, so I reached out to Prima Games. They confirmed that all of the information was canon and provided by Bethesda.

In that light, here's a list of new canon information. Take a look and share your thoughts:

• Ahrk "and" - described as formal and not commonly used
  • Su'um "breath" - also means "inner spirit," used in terms of the Voice power
  • Dovah "dragon" - can also be used as the pronoun "me" when a dragon speaks
  • Kel "Elder Scroll" - apparently kel is the word for "scroll" but is used to refer to the Elder Scrolls. Unknown what the unabbreviated canon version of "Elder Scrolls" is.
  • Morah "focus" - also means "attention" or "concentration"
  • Stin "free" - adjective only
  • Ko "in" - not commonly used
  • Middovahhe - uesd by Odahviing, means "loyalists/allies" (dragons only)
  • Joor "mortal" - noun only
  • Un "our" - not commonly used (likely in favor of the possessive suffix -u)
  • Ronit "rival" - verb only
  • Koraav "see" - also means "recognize"
  • Grahmindol "stratagem" - noted to mean "battle-thought," however mindol is later listed to mean "trick"
  • Sahsun "village" - we reverse-derived this ourselves from sahsunaar "villager" but here it is confirmed canon
  • Rul "when" - synonym with fod, only used at the start of a sentence
  • Voth "with" - notes say to avoid using
  • Rotmulaag "Word of Power" - plural form is Rotmulagge. That is, the aa declines to just a. I do have this listed in the lessons already as an optional way to make plural nouns (for example, kodaav 'bear" might become kodavve) but it's not applied consistently enough in the canon for it to be a hard rule.
  • Hin "your" - noted as being formal, unknown if there is an informal form of "you."
by paarthurnax
June 12, 2014

Prima Games has an online English to Dragon Language List containing many canon words and some notes. It's not identical to the version found in the printed guide, so there are words and notes here that do not appear anywhere else. There are also words that appear in this list that are not featured anywhere in the actual game - these include pel "to write," vum "beard," and gram "cloud."

I was curious about the origin of these words and some of the notes, so I reached out to Prima Games. They confirmed that all of the information was canon and provided by Bethesda.

In that light, here's a list of new canon information. Take a look and share your thoughts:

• Ahrk "and" - described as formal and not commonly used
  • Su'um "breath" - also means "inner spirit," used in terms of the Voice power
  • Dovah "dragon" - can also be used as the pronoun "me" when a dragon speaks
  • Kel "Elder Scroll" - apparently kel is the word for "scroll" but is used to refer to the Elder Scrolls. Unknown what the unabbreviated canon version of "Elder Scrolls" is.
  • Morah "focus" - also means "attention" or "concentration"
  • Stin "free" - adjective only
  • Ko "in" - not commonly used
  • Middovahhe - uesd by Odahviing, means "loyalists/allies" (dragons only)
  • Joor "mortal" - noun only
  • Un "our" - not commonly used (likely in favor of the possessive suffix -u)
  • Ronit "rival" - verb only
  • Koraav "see" - also means "recognize"
  • Grahmindol "stratagem" - noted to mean "battle-thought," however mindol is later listed to mean "trick"
  • Sahsun "village" - we reverse-derived this ourselves from sahsunaar "villager" but here it is confirmed canon
  • Rul "when" - synonym with fod, only used at the start of a sentence
  • Voth "with" - notes say to avoid using
  • Rotmulaag "Word of Power" - plural form is Rotmulagge. That is, the aa declines to just a. I do have this listed in the lessons already as an optional way to make plural nouns (for example, kodaav 'bear" might become kodavve) but it's not applied consistently enough in the canon for it to be a hard rule.
  • Hin "your" - noted as being formal, unknown if there is an informal form of "you."

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.