Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

A Solution for Adverbs

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 14, 2014

Adverbs are words that describe verbs. The adverbs in the spotlight are the -ly adverbs, such as "coldly," "courageously," and "fearlessly."

Over the course of the language we've approached adverbs in different ways. Initially we had the suffix -gaar as an equivalent to -ly. However its semi-canon basis was incorrect (the word for "heroic" is hungaar, not zohunas guessed in the suffix's notes).

Currently these sorts of adverbs are almost entirely removed from the language. It largely stems from the Prima Games guide where it describes the translation of the adverb "bravely" as "voth ahkrin," "with courage." Zohungaar "heroically" is actually another way to express this, with the known prefix zo-, "full of heroics." So currently, you would express "truthfully" as "voth vahzen," or "sadly" as "voth krosis." It can be hard to grip at first but creates an unique difference between Dovahzul and English.

An idea I have stems from the canon word boziik "bold / boldly," and lifts a page from German. It's fairly straightforward: when an adjective is used with a verb, it becomes an adverb:

• Hi boziik wah krif dovah. "You are bold to fight a dragon."
  • Hi drey boziik krif dovah. "You did boldly fight a dragon."
  • Zu'u ofan roti zovahzen. "I give my truthful word."
  • Zu'u zovahzen ofan roti. "I truthfully give my word."
  • Gutom nol het wah Ahrolsedovah los loziik. "The distance from here to Whiterun is deceptive."
  • Nii loziik gut nol het wah Ahrolsedovah. "It is deceptively far from here to Whiterun."
  • Zu'u kriist faasnu us hi. "I stand fearless before you" or "I stand fearlessly before you."

This is easier to learn than the current method (which could still be used), requires no changes to the dictionary, and fits with both the canon and real-world languages.

by paarthurnax
June 14, 2014

Adverbs are words that describe verbs. The adverbs in the spotlight are the -ly adverbs, such as "coldly," "courageously," and "fearlessly."

Over the course of the language we've approached adverbs in different ways. Initially we had the suffix -gaar as an equivalent to -ly. However its semi-canon basis was incorrect (the word for "heroic" is hungaar, not zohunas guessed in the suffix's notes).

Currently these sorts of adverbs are almost entirely removed from the language. It largely stems from the Prima Games guide where it describes the translation of the adverb "bravely" as "voth ahkrin," "with courage." Zohungaar "heroically" is actually another way to express this, with the known prefix zo-, "full of heroics." So currently, you would express "truthfully" as "voth vahzen," or "sadly" as "voth krosis." It can be hard to grip at first but creates an unique difference between Dovahzul and English.

An idea I have stems from the canon word boziik "bold / boldly," and lifts a page from German. It's fairly straightforward: when an adjective is used with a verb, it becomes an adverb:

• Hi boziik wah krif dovah. "You are bold to fight a dragon."
  • Hi drey boziik krif dovah. "You did boldly fight a dragon."
  • Zu'u ofan roti zovahzen. "I give my truthful word."
  • Zu'u zovahzen ofan roti. "I truthfully give my word."
  • Gutom nol het wah Ahrolsedovah los loziik. "The distance from here to Whiterun is deceptive."
  • Nii loziik gut nol het wah Ahrolsedovah. "It is deceptively far from here to Whiterun."
  • Zu'u kriist faasnu us hi. "I stand fearless before you" or "I stand fearlessly before you."

This is easier to learn than the current method (which could still be used), requires no changes to the dictionary, and fits with both the canon and real-world languages.

yaropolk
June 15, 2014
paarthurnax

Zohungaar "heroically" is actually another way to express this, with the known prefix zo-, "full of heroics." 

I've seen the word :

Zofaas (Зофас)
Fearful(?)

(от Faas (Zo Faas)) (часть(?)
)

(( 2)- Ð´Ð¸Ð°Ð»Ð¾Ð³ с ÐžÐ´Ð°Ð²Ð¸Ð½Ð³Ð¾Ð¼)  when compiling the dictionary, I made a mistake it is not a word of dialogue with odavingom, this word of dialogue with pparturnaksom

by yaropolk
June 15, 2014
paarthurnax

Zohungaar "heroically" is actually another way to express this, with the known prefix zo-, "full of heroics." 

I've seen the word :

Zofaas (Зофас)
Fearful(?)

(от Faas (Zo Faas)) (часть(?)
)

(( 2)- Ð´Ð¸Ð°Ð»Ð¾Ð³ с ÐžÐ´Ð°Ð²Ð¸Ð½Ð³Ð¾Ð¼)  when compiling the dictionary, I made a mistake it is not a word of dialogue with odavingom, this word of dialogue with pparturnaksom

yaropolk
June 15, 2014

I found this snippet of conversation (this happens when dovakin parturnaksa first met on the throat of the world) . Could you write me an English version of this fragment of the game (I only Russian version)

- Ð”ревний свиток? Что это? - asks dovakin

parturnaks (dragon of the game) is responsible:

Гм-м. Как объяснить на вашем языке? У дов (dov) есть слова для таких вещей, которых нет в языке йорре (Joorre).

Это... реликвия, существующая вне времени. Она не существует, но всегда существовала. Ð Ð° уалан (Rah Wahlaan). Это... гм... части сотворения.

Келле(Kelle)... Древние свитки, как вы их называете, часто использовались для предсказаний. Да, источником твоего пророчества также послужил Древний свиток.

Но это лиш малая часть их силы. Ð—офас сулейк (Zofaas Suleyk).

obviously wrong that my dictionary Zofaas - Fearful. official translation of the word I have not seen it (taken from uesp.net/wiki ), but they seem wrong with the translation phrases . 

I do correct translation? what is the word of the comments parturnaksa (in the English version of the game) corresponds to the word Zofaas ?

by yaropolk
June 15, 2014

I found this snippet of conversation (this happens when dovakin parturnaksa first met on the throat of the world) . Could you write me an English version of this fragment of the game (I only Russian version)

- Ð”ревний свиток? Что это? - asks dovakin

parturnaks (dragon of the game) is responsible:

Гм-м. Как объяснить на вашем языке? У дов (dov) есть слова для таких вещей, которых нет в языке йорре (Joorre).

Это... реликвия, существующая вне времени. Она не существует, но всегда существовала. Ð Ð° уалан (Rah Wahlaan). Это... гм... части сотворения.

Келле(Kelle)... Древние свитки, как вы их называете, часто использовались для предсказаний. Да, источником твоего пророчества также послужил Древний свиток.

Но это лиш малая часть их силы. Ð—офас сулейк (Zofaas Suleyk).

obviously wrong that my dictionary Zofaas - Fearful. official translation of the word I have not seen it (taken from uesp.net/wiki ), but they seem wrong with the translation phrases . 

I do correct translation? what is the word of the comments parturnaksa (in the English version of the game) corresponds to the word Zofaas ?

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 15, 2014

Krosis, I'm not sure what your question is. Zofaas does mean "fearful" (zo faas, "full of fear"). Paarthurnax's line in English is "But this is only a small part of their power. Zofaas suleyk." The dialogue file translates this as "fearful power."

If you have questions about this, please send me a private message. This question is off topic for this thread.

by paarthurnax
June 15, 2014

Krosis, I'm not sure what your question is. Zofaas does mean "fearful" (zo faas, "full of fear"). Paarthurnax's line in English is "But this is only a small part of their power. Zofaas suleyk." The dialogue file translates this as "fearful power."

If you have questions about this, please send me a private message. This question is off topic for this thread.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.