Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Constructed Languages

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 9, 2013

I've been playing with constructed languages for almost 8 years now.  That seems like a long time, but I didn't really get a good grasp of the concept until much more recently.  I first got into constructed languages when I began learning German as a second language, and also started to write fantasy at the same time.  The idea of making my own language sounded like fun, so I gave it a shot.

At first all I had was an alphabet cipher (like Daedric).  Once I was confident enough with my knowledge of language, I began to invent my own words and grammar.  I developed several languages for different fictional peoples, and even made a language for a friend's science-fiction story.

Eventually, one language, now called Almaril, stuck with me and has been reconstructed several times over the years.  It's fairly developed, with comprehensive grammar, a written alphabet, and around ~800 words.  I mostly use it to write poetry, and continue to use it in fantasy writing.  A sample of it is below:

Myethavolgyr Myethavolgyr
Ci ara vir velthiran
Hu sulōs nulmolir welkyreth
Qua sōri vihedh aserev
Vet kai yiralt fum yev
Myethavolgyr, faha vir elmri u kiriyev. 

Above is the "Song of the Dragonborn" in Almaril.  If you have any constructed languages of your own to share, I'd be excited to hear about them!

by paarthurnax
April 9, 2013

I've been playing with constructed languages for almost 8 years now.  That seems like a long time, but I didn't really get a good grasp of the concept until much more recently.  I first got into constructed languages when I began learning German as a second language, and also started to write fantasy at the same time.  The idea of making my own language sounded like fun, so I gave it a shot.

At first all I had was an alphabet cipher (like Daedric).  Once I was confident enough with my knowledge of language, I began to invent my own words and grammar.  I developed several languages for different fictional peoples, and even made a language for a friend's science-fiction story.

Eventually, one language, now called Almaril, stuck with me and has been reconstructed several times over the years.  It's fairly developed, with comprehensive grammar, a written alphabet, and around ~800 words.  I mostly use it to write poetry, and continue to use it in fantasy writing.  A sample of it is below:

Myethavolgyr Myethavolgyr
Ci ara vir velthiran
Hu sulōs nulmolir welkyreth
Qua sōri vihedh aserev
Vet kai yiralt fum yev
Myethavolgyr, faha vir elmri u kiriyev. 

Above is the "Song of the Dragonborn" in Almaril.  If you have any constructed languages of your own to share, I'd be excited to hear about them!

Kodaavzii
April 11, 2013

There is a constructed language in Dragon Age for the Elves, but it's not nearly as large and completed as the language in Skyrim. There is a link here for more information: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Elven_language Expanding it would be fun and quite different from this language, but much more difficult. 

I'm also quite partial to the Tolkein Elven language, though I haven't really ever sat down and just looked at it. A shame... perhaps I should add that to my list of things to do.

by Kodaavzii
April 11, 2013

There is a constructed language in Dragon Age for the Elves, but it's not nearly as large and completed as the language in Skyrim. There is a link here for more information: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Elven_language Expanding it would be fun and quite different from this language, but much more difficult. 

I'm also quite partial to the Tolkein Elven language, though I haven't really ever sat down and just looked at it. A shame... perhaps I should add that to my list of things to do.

RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

I do have one I have, it's simple technically as in I didn't sit down and create it, it's more like a cypher but I use it in rps mainly since it can be spoken but it is harsh. Ironically it is for my dragons, most often it is not the most beautiful either. It co-exists with an older more formal form which I have created words for, but it is far less common so it's not fleshed out like Dovahzul. I made it a long time ago, and I can almost directly read it without issue now. Let me think of something to write.....

When the four ancients ascend to war

When the world is left to ash and ruin

The Twin Gods arise to end the battle

Destroying the world again

Disvem gusve ulofi zumxorvemguh zuhxovemuw gul dizi

Disvem gusve diliowi roh oveugu gul zuhsu zumwi iformu

Gusve Gudrom Talwi zuirohve gul vemwi gusve yzugguove

Wivehagilobromta gusve diliowi zutzurmu

Whew there we go. ^^

by RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

I do have one I have, it's simple technically as in I didn't sit down and create it, it's more like a cypher but I use it in rps mainly since it can be spoken but it is harsh. Ironically it is for my dragons, most often it is not the most beautiful either. It co-exists with an older more formal form which I have created words for, but it is far less common so it's not fleshed out like Dovahzul. I made it a long time ago, and I can almost directly read it without issue now. Let me think of something to write.....

When the four ancients ascend to war

When the world is left to ash and ruin

The Twin Gods arise to end the battle

Destroying the world again

Disvem gusve ulofi zumxorvemguh zuhxovemuw gul dizi

Disvem gusve diliowi roh oveugu gul zuhsu zumwi iformu

Gusve Gudrom Talwi zuirohve gul vemwi gusve yzugguove

Wivehagilobromta gusve diliowi zutzurmu

Whew there we go. ^^

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 21, 2013

I started out playing with cyphers too (it was letter-by-letter, is yours?), and it was fun trying to come up with ways to make it sounds different yet work somewhat fluidly.

by paarthurnax
April 21, 2013

I started out playing with cyphers too (it was letter-by-letter, is yours?), and it was fun trying to come up with ways to make it sounds different yet work somewhat fluidly.

RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

Mine is but there's also rules, because some words don't work. Like Fire works just fine, Uriv, (you'll recogize that one I think with Uric) but water not so much. Dzgvi. Doesn't work so I had to tweak it to be Dizguvei, Uriv was nice but now it's Uroive. Anyways I just translated supercalifragilisticexpialidocious it's a whopper:

hafkiveixzuorouizgurorohgurxovecekrozorwilzorlofha

man I hate long words.

by RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

Mine is but there's also rules, because some words don't work. Like Fire works just fine, Uriv, (you'll recogize that one I think with Uric) but water not so much. Dzgvi. Doesn't work so I had to tweak it to be Dizguvei, Uriv was nice but now it's Uroive. Anyways I just translated supercalifragilisticexpialidocious it's a whopper:

hafkiveixzuorouizgurorohgurxovecekrozorwilzorlofha

man I hate long words.

otakufreak40
September 13, 2013

I'm currently writing a language for a project in our mythology class (as well as some other projects, but those don't get as much attention) where we come up with a culture, realistic or fantastic, by the end of the semester. So far I've come up with how words "work". For example, the spoken language is somewhat syllabic like Japanese kana, with each syllable either being VC or V. The written language more closely resembles Korean hangul, where consontant shapes are based off of the method of articulation, rather than being arbitrary lines and circles, as well as syllables being written as "blocks". As for the vowels, the shapes were originally symbols of the gods (each god's name starts with a different vowel) but were simplified over time. For example, the equivalent of /b/, or the voiced bilabial stop, is shaped like two lips together (to represent the lips stopping the flow of air) with a dot showing that it is voiced rather than unvoiced; and the vowel "ei" (pronounced the same as in Dovahzul or German) was originally shaped as a skull because of eitheesh, god of death, but was eventually became a circle with a line.

Pictures may come when finished.

P.S. Ysmir's beard, I typed more than I intended to. Krosis.

by otakufreak40
September 13, 2013

I'm currently writing a language for a project in our mythology class (as well as some other projects, but those don't get as much attention) where we come up with a culture, realistic or fantastic, by the end of the semester. So far I've come up with how words "work". For example, the spoken language is somewhat syllabic like Japanese kana, with each syllable either being VC or V. The written language more closely resembles Korean hangul, where consontant shapes are based off of the method of articulation, rather than being arbitrary lines and circles, as well as syllables being written as "blocks". As for the vowels, the shapes were originally symbols of the gods (each god's name starts with a different vowel) but were simplified over time. For example, the equivalent of /b/, or the voiced bilabial stop, is shaped like two lips together (to represent the lips stopping the flow of air) with a dot showing that it is voiced rather than unvoiced; and the vowel "ei" (pronounced the same as in Dovahzul or German) was originally shaped as a skull because of eitheesh, god of death, but was eventually became a circle with a line.

Pictures may come when finished.

P.S. Ysmir's beard, I typed more than I intended to. Krosis.

Faal Steve
September 28, 2013

I have a language (both written and spoken) I've been working on for some time now. I call it Roiken, and it's very different from any other language I've ever experenced. Some of the main differences include that you don't use a pronoun with a verb, it's already "built in" and that there is no indefinite article (a / an). If you say something like goci (potato) you are technically saying "a potato". An example of the language

oc tizu mariza nituuced, igra gezo cuuzica i iihuca fo tizu eliffo giirah. towagiic begiuha tizu cira kiraazor aingeidosu aingein. euz giiraharaazzo ottouha!

And that translates to

For the woman I love, today I will do battle with the evil elves. My bow will become the fierce warrior it was meant to be. Our enemies shall die!

Writing is a lot of fun too. I use what I call the "root stem system" where pretty much you write a vowel, and then attach a constanant to either the front or back of it. 

​If you want any translations, feel free to ask me.

by Faal Steve
September 28, 2013

I have a language (both written and spoken) I've been working on for some time now. I call it Roiken, and it's very different from any other language I've ever experenced. Some of the main differences include that you don't use a pronoun with a verb, it's already "built in" and that there is no indefinite article (a / an). If you say something like goci (potato) you are technically saying "a potato". An example of the language

oc tizu mariza nituuced, igra gezo cuuzica i iihuca fo tizu eliffo giirah. towagiic begiuha tizu cira kiraazor aingeidosu aingein. euz giiraharaazzo ottouha!

And that translates to

For the woman I love, today I will do battle with the evil elves. My bow will become the fierce warrior it was meant to be. Our enemies shall die!

Writing is a lot of fun too. I use what I call the "root stem system" where pretty much you write a vowel, and then attach a constanant to either the front or back of it. 

​If you want any translations, feel free to ask me.

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 8, 2013

Sorry I didn't see this until now, thanks for sharing!  I've also been working on a language with no pronouns.  I'd be interested to see what the writing of your language looks like.

by paarthurnax
October 8, 2013

Sorry I didn't see this until now, thanks for sharing!  I've also been working on a language with no pronouns.  I'd be interested to see what the writing of your language looks like.

otakufreak40
October 8, 2013

If it weren't for paarthy, I'd probably forget about this. Well, almost. Anyways:

HERE (since I can't seem to post photos directly).

by otakufreak40
October 8, 2013

If it weren't for paarthy, I'd probably forget about this. Well, almost. Anyways:

HERE (since I can't seem to post photos directly).

Naxsuleykdinok
November 18, 2013

DREM YOL LOK

I have made a language of my own, ever since I started to learn english as my second language, I experimented with a few words, and I believe it turned out around... eight hundred words I had created. And the wonderful thing about my language is, you can translate literally.

"Tu naks stal neimal y yuine hin rangeu?"

Which I believe, which would properly translate into:

"Why the heck did I create this language?"

I was born in Berlin, Germany, learnt english at ten, and I began writing the language at eighteen. Been studying other languages like French, Russian and stuff, and the language of Drazuramec kind of got lost to me and I lost grips of my fluentness to it. I don't really use it, to be honest. Lol. I tried learning the Black Speech of Mordor, but it seemed... well..

DOV4
seemed more interesting.

by Naxsuleykdinok
November 18, 2013

DREM YOL LOK

I have made a language of my own, ever since I started to learn english as my second language, I experimented with a few words, and I believe it turned out around... eight hundred words I had created. And the wonderful thing about my language is, you can translate literally.

"Tu naks stal neimal y yuine hin rangeu?"

Which I believe, which would properly translate into:

"Why the heck did I create this language?"

I was born in Berlin, Germany, learnt english at ten, and I began writing the language at eighteen. Been studying other languages like French, Russian and stuff, and the language of Drazuramec kind of got lost to me and I lost grips of my fluentness to it. I don't really use it, to be honest. Lol. I tried learning the Black Speech of Mordor, but it seemed... well..

DOV4
seemed more interesting.

otakufreak40
May 19, 2014

For those of you with a facebook account, you can check out my conlanging/conworlding project HERE.

It takes place in a fantasy world. There are three language families (Western, Azirin, Eastern) and two language isolates (Hiss-Speach and

NOW EXTINCT
Kewani). Western and Eastern both have two living languages, and Azirin has but one. At the time, I'm mainly working on Azirin, though not exclusively. The languages are more in line with Tolkien (natural appearing) than Zamenhof (obviously artificial).

As far as writing is concerned; I cover featural scripts, syllabaries, abjads, abugidas, and alphabets. Azirin and Kewani are featural, with the latter also being runic. The unnamed language of the Dowarvi (Dowarvin?) is a syllabary with a similarity to cuneiform. The Sh'anti language uses an abugida. Hiss-Speak is written with a cursice abjad, similar to Arabic. Unlike Arabic, though, diacritics mark tones instead of vowels. Seklendeng and Grisic (both Western languages) use alphabets. Grisic is vertical and cursive, similar to Mongolian writing.

by otakufreak40
May 19, 2014

For those of you with a facebook account, you can check out my conlanging/conworlding project HERE.

It takes place in a fantasy world. There are three language families (Western, Azirin, Eastern) and two language isolates (Hiss-Speach and

NOW EXTINCT
Kewani). Western and Eastern both have two living languages, and Azirin has but one. At the time, I'm mainly working on Azirin, though not exclusively. The languages are more in line with Tolkien (natural appearing) than Zamenhof (obviously artificial).

As far as writing is concerned; I cover featural scripts, syllabaries, abjads, abugidas, and alphabets. Azirin and Kewani are featural, with the latter also being runic. The unnamed language of the Dowarvi (Dowarvin?) is a syllabary with a similarity to cuneiform. The Sh'anti language uses an abugida. Hiss-Speak is written with a cursice abjad, similar to Arabic. Unlike Arabic, though, diacritics mark tones instead of vowels. Seklendeng and Grisic (both Western languages) use alphabets. Grisic is vertical and cursive, similar to Mongolian writing.

hiith
May 19, 2014

When I was younger, I drew my own comic strips with an alien and created a letter-by-letter symbol cypher to use when the alien talked. It was and ongoing joke within the strip that no-one could understand what he was saying, but I knew that I made him say rude things... Anyways, I became facinated by the idea of a constructed language a few months back and did my research and really wanted to learn one or make one myself. I figured that it would be cooler (and easier) to either learn Dovah or Klingon, and then at least someone would be in on it (well, on the internet). I choze Dovah (if you couldn't tell already). Seemed cooler, though I was actually rather disappointed in its similarities with English. No offense, though. Dovahzul is great.

by hiith
May 19, 2014

When I was younger, I drew my own comic strips with an alien and created a letter-by-letter symbol cypher to use when the alien talked. It was and ongoing joke within the strip that no-one could understand what he was saying, but I knew that I made him say rude things... Anyways, I became facinated by the idea of a constructed language a few months back and did my research and really wanted to learn one or make one myself. I figured that it would be cooler (and easier) to either learn Dovah or Klingon, and then at least someone would be in on it (well, on the internet). I choze Dovah (if you couldn't tell already). Seemed cooler, though I was actually rather disappointed in its similarities with English. No offense, though. Dovahzul is great.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.