Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Grammar check, please?

1  2 > >>  

scrptrx
April 11, 2013

I have some new Dragonish sentence construction used in a FanFic that I'm not entirely sure about. If anyone cares to check my work, please do. I've already posted the phrases you see below in my fic online, but I want to get it right! I will just edit whatever is incorrect.

I'm going to post what I've constructed along with the English translation.

Ahrk ziihel aavaan - And their souls have joined.
Ek dez prodahlaan - Her fate has been foretold.
Hin kopraani lost agaan - Your (formal) body was burned. (h/t paarthurnax)
Dreh Dovahkiin yah Alduin? - Does Dragonborn seek Alduin?
Faas faal Dovahkiin - Fear the Dragonborn
waan ho ahlbrod zahreiksevulom - if you (informal) possess a heart of darkness
ho vokulle wo iidah fin sahlo - you evil ones who attack the weak
Zu vaat - I swear
ho nis iliis mahfaeraak nol faal Zokraniid - you cannot hide forever from the Void
Zu nir fah ho med sunvaarre - I (will) hunt for you like beasts
ahrk tef ho kotin faal Fruun - and pull you into the Abyss
Los tiidni - It's not time
Unaz sul do kiindah - Happy day of birth (Happy Birthday)

Thank you! Also 10 points to whoever guesses what phrases 5 through 11 are based on....

by scrptrx
April 11, 2013

I have some new Dragonish sentence construction used in a FanFic that I'm not entirely sure about. If anyone cares to check my work, please do. I've already posted the phrases you see below in my fic online, but I want to get it right! I will just edit whatever is incorrect.

I'm going to post what I've constructed along with the English translation.

Ahrk ziihel aavaan - And their souls have joined.
Ek dez prodahlaan - Her fate has been foretold.
Hin kopraani lost agaan - Your (formal) body was burned. (h/t paarthurnax)
Dreh Dovahkiin yah Alduin? - Does Dragonborn seek Alduin?
Faas faal Dovahkiin - Fear the Dragonborn
waan ho ahlbrod zahreiksevulom - if you (informal) possess a heart of darkness
ho vokulle wo iidah fin sahlo - you evil ones who attack the weak
Zu vaat - I swear
ho nis iliis mahfaeraak nol faal Zokraniid - you cannot hide forever from the Void
Zu nir fah ho med sunvaarre - I (will) hunt for you like beasts
ahrk tef ho kotin faal Fruun - and pull you into the Abyss
Los tiidni - It's not time
Unaz sul do kiindah - Happy day of birth (Happy Birthday)

Thank you! Also 10 points to whoever guesses what phrases 5 through 11 are based on....

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 11, 2013

2. Ek dez prodahlaan.

This would mean "Her fate has foretold", instead: "Ek dez kosaan prodah".

3. Hin kopraani lost agaan.

You can either use "Hin" or the "-i" suffix, but not both.  "-i" literally stands for "your" or "my".  Usually "-i" isn't used as often to mean "your", so "Hin kopraan" would probably work best.

Your question in 4 is phrased correctly, another way you could phrase it is "Yah Dovahkiin Alduin?" By switching the object and the verb around, it gets rid of the need to use "dreh".

9. Ho nis iliis mahfaeraak nol faal Zokraniid.

This is all correct except that "Zokraniid" is an adjective that means "hollow" or "empty" ("void of life", "void of heart", etc.) The word you're looking for is "Nil".

12. Los tiidni

The suffix here would be added to "Los" instead of "tiid".  "-ni" functions a lot like "n't" in "isn't" or "doesn't".

Lastly, you could also say "Sulsekiindah".

Good work so far!

by paarthurnax
April 11, 2013

2. Ek dez prodahlaan.

This would mean "Her fate has foretold", instead: "Ek dez kosaan prodah".

3. Hin kopraani lost agaan.

You can either use "Hin" or the "-i" suffix, but not both.  "-i" literally stands for "your" or "my".  Usually "-i" isn't used as often to mean "your", so "Hin kopraan" would probably work best.

Your question in 4 is phrased correctly, another way you could phrase it is "Yah Dovahkiin Alduin?" By switching the object and the verb around, it gets rid of the need to use "dreh".

9. Ho nis iliis mahfaeraak nol faal Zokraniid.

This is all correct except that "Zokraniid" is an adjective that means "hollow" or "empty" ("void of life", "void of heart", etc.) The word you're looking for is "Nil".

12. Los tiidni

The suffix here would be added to "Los" instead of "tiid".  "-ni" functions a lot like "n't" in "isn't" or "doesn't".

Lastly, you could also say "Sulsekiindah".

Good work so far!

scrptrx
April 13, 2013

Thanks! 

I'm sure I will be needing some more help in the coming months. I will just keep using this thread when the time comes.

by scrptrx
April 13, 2013

Thanks! 

I'm sure I will be needing some more help in the coming months. I will just keep using this thread when the time comes.

scrptrx
April 19, 2013

Another grammar check request!

I want to say "you (formal) are mine". I don't know about "Hii los dii". Seems weird. It also seems weird to use the possessive suffixes. "If the noun ends in a vowel, we add an "h" and then use the appropriate suffix". Wouldn't that be "Hiihi"? Just seems odd. Maybe we can't do a literal translation? Perhaps "you belong to me" is the only way to say it without it seeming weird...

by scrptrx
April 19, 2013

Another grammar check request!

I want to say "you (formal) are mine". I don't know about "Hii los dii". Seems weird. It also seems weird to use the possessive suffixes. "If the noun ends in a vowel, we add an "h" and then use the appropriate suffix". Wouldn't that be "Hiihi"? Just seems odd. Maybe we can't do a literal translation? Perhaps "you belong to me" is the only way to say it without it seeming weird...

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 19, 2013

"Hi los dii" is perfectly grammatically correct.  A possessive suffix wouldn't be used with a pronoun.  If you wanted to say "You belong to me", that would be "Hi engein wah zey."

by paarthurnax
April 19, 2013

"Hi los dii" is perfectly grammatically correct.  A possessive suffix wouldn't be used with a pronoun.  If you wanted to say "You belong to me", that would be "Hi engein wah zey."

scrptrx
April 20, 2013

Thanks, I think I was just too tired last night to be thinking in another language.......... ;D

by scrptrx
April 20, 2013

Thanks, I think I was just too tired last night to be thinking in another language.......... ;D

scrptrx
April 25, 2013

here we go again....

any mistakes? thanks!

---

1. Het Kos Dovahhe - "here be dragons" - old timey warning about danger. heh.

2. Wo los daar? - who are these? (ppl dragons whatever)

3. Vahr los hei het? - why are you (pl) here?

4. Daar Dovahhe hiif faal Dovahkiir ahrk lafaanneii - these dragons (will) help the (formal) Dragon Child  and her parents

5. Mu grind einzuk - We meet again

by scrptrx
April 25, 2013

here we go again....

any mistakes? thanks!

---

1. Het Kos Dovahhe - "here be dragons" - old timey warning about danger. heh.

2. Wo los daar? - who are these? (ppl dragons whatever)

3. Vahr los hei het? - why are you (pl) here?

4. Daar Dovahhe hiif faal Dovahkiir ahrk lafaanneii - these dragons (will) help the (formal) Dragon Child  and her parents

5. Mu grind einzuk - We meet again

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 25, 2013

All of these look good!  In the 4th one, you can use the suffix "-iin" to make future simple tense out of "hiif", so "hiifiin" = "will help".

by paarthurnax
April 25, 2013

All of these look good!  In the 4th one, you can use the suffix "-iin" to make future simple tense out of "hiif", so "hiifiin" = "will help".

scrptrx
April 25, 2013

danke!

by scrptrx
April 25, 2013

danke!

scrptrx
May 6, 2013

ok, once more into the grammatical fray....

thanks in advance.

1. Rignivahiikke - spoilers (read: ruiners)

2. Zu'u mindok pah - I know all

3. Zu'u laanni helt - I don't want to stop

4. Rok foraan zey __ - he called me ____.

5. Rah tinvaakaan wah zey dii ulan laas - (the) god spoke to me (for) my entire life

6. Fin zul ahzaalaan tinvaak wah zey - the voice has ceased to speak to me

by scrptrx
May 6, 2013

ok, once more into the grammatical fray....

thanks in advance.

1. Rignivahiikke - spoilers (read: ruiners)

2. Zu'u mindok pah - I know all

3. Zu'u laanni helt - I don't want to stop

4. Rok foraan zey __ - he called me ____.

5. Rah tinvaakaan wah zey dii ulan laas - (the) god spoke to me (for) my entire life

6. Fin zul ahzaalaan tinvaak wah zey - the voice has ceased to speak to me

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 7, 2013

For #4, "Rok foraan zey ___" would mean "He has called me ____".  You can alternatively say "Rok dreh for zey _____", or "He did call me _______", depending on the tense you're going for.

Similarly, #5 means "The gods have spoken to me for my entire life."

You have #6 right, although it would be more typical to remove "fin".

Overall, very good!

by paarthurnax
May 7, 2013

For #4, "Rok foraan zey ___" would mean "He has called me ____".  You can alternatively say "Rok dreh for zey _____", or "He did call me _______", depending on the tense you're going for.

Similarly, #5 means "The gods have spoken to me for my entire life."

You have #6 right, although it would be more typical to remove "fin".

Overall, very good!

scrptrx
May 8, 2013

Actually, I think my tense translation was just me being lazy. I was going for the "has/have been" tense of the verbs. yay! thanks again :)

by scrptrx
May 8, 2013

Actually, I think my tense translation was just me being lazy. I was going for the "has/have been" tense of the verbs. yay! thanks again :)

scrptrx
June 2, 2013

And yet another check:

Brom. Shur brom, dii kiim ahrk krii pah. Sav kiiru.

North. Go north, my wife and kill (them) all. Save our children.

by scrptrx
June 2, 2013

And yet another check:

Brom. Shur brom, dii kiim ahrk krii pah. Sav kiiru.

North. Go north, my wife and kill (them) all. Save our children.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 2, 2013

Looks good!  On a side note I fnd it interesting that "wife" is "Kiim", "child/children" is "Kiir", and "born" is "Kiin".

by paarthurnax
June 2, 2013

Looks good!  On a side note I fnd it interesting that "wife" is "Kiim", "child/children" is "Kiir", and "born" is "Kiin".

scrptrx
June 2, 2013

heh you're right..... 

by scrptrx
June 2, 2013

heh you're right..... 

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.