Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

A Few Questions Concerning Dovahzul

Kazmirus
August 2, 2014

Ahnok, wah pah! I've started learning Dovahzul, and I have a few questions about grammar:

1. In the verb guide, the present perfect and pluperfect are conjugated the same way, how does one differentiate, or am I missing something? (Perhaps -aan could signify the present perfect, and lost (verb)-aan could signify the pluperfect)
  2. On the note of perfects, what's the future perfect? (Perhaps kosiin (verb)-aan)
  3. What's the imperative in Dovahzul?
  4. When constructing a sentence with multiple verbs, like I want to speak or I can speak,  do I always put the verbs past the main verb as their normal infinitives as listed in the dictionary, or using the to-infinitive, or is the usage conditional like English (no to when following can, for example)
  5. Is there a difference between the dative to and the prepositional to in Dovahzul? For instance, I said Ahnok, wah pah! above, but I used the prepositional to, and I'm wondering if there's a dative version, or if one should be made (Perhaps kost, a combination of ko + ahst)

Thank you for reading, and if you answer, thank you for answering. I'm hoping that I'll be successful in learning Dovahzul.

by Kazmirus
August 2, 2014

Ahnok, wah pah! I've started learning Dovahzul, and I have a few questions about grammar:

1. In the verb guide, the present perfect and pluperfect are conjugated the same way, how does one differentiate, or am I missing something? (Perhaps -aan could signify the present perfect, and lost (verb)-aan could signify the pluperfect)
  2. On the note of perfects, what's the future perfect? (Perhaps kosiin (verb)-aan)
  3. What's the imperative in Dovahzul?
  4. When constructing a sentence with multiple verbs, like I want to speak or I can speak,  do I always put the verbs past the main verb as their normal infinitives as listed in the dictionary, or using the to-infinitive, or is the usage conditional like English (no to when following can, for example)
  5. Is there a difference between the dative to and the prepositional to in Dovahzul? For instance, I said Ahnok, wah pah! above, but I used the prepositional to, and I'm wondering if there's a dative version, or if one should be made (Perhaps kost, a combination of ko + ahst)

Thank you for reading, and if you answer, thank you for answering. I'm hoping that I'll be successful in learning Dovahzul.

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 2, 2014

Thanks for your questions! I'll do my best to answer them. Off the bat, Dovahzul has very simplified tense and has almost entirely lost any kind of grammatical case system except in pronouns. Because of this, there are going to be some things that will be difficult to translate.

1. Verbs don't conjugate differently for simple present tense or simple past tense. Zu'u lost du'ul could mean "I have a crown" or "I had a crown" depending on the context. As you point out this makes it difficult to differentiate between present perfect tense and pluperfect.

You could say something like zu'u lost krifaan niin to mean "I had fought them," but this would be indistinguishable from "I have fought them." You could use supporting phrases like us "before" or lingrah vod "long ago" to help put your sentence in a past tense context. Lingrah vod zu'u granaan niin nol Keizaal, "Long ago I had routed them from Skyrim."
  2. Future perfect would be fen __-aanzu'u fen kronaan naal tiid hi meyz "I will have won by the time you arrive." Related, future perfect progressive would be fen kosaan ____nust fen kosaan tinvaak "they will have been talking."
  3. Imperative is simply the infinitive verb. Huzrah! "hearken!," krif! "fight!" Kos is used for "to be" imperatives, kos nahlot "be silenced."
  4. Dovahzul is more flexible in this. Verbs always go after the main verb but a to-infinitive isn't required. You can just as easily say zu'u laan wah tinvaak voth Paarthurnax "I want to speak with Paarthurnax" or zu'u laan tinvaak Paarthurnax.
  5. Wah would be used for both. Likewise the suffix -a can be used to indicate a to-infinitive, zu'u laan tinvaaka Paarthurnax "I want to speak with Paarthurnax," or in the dative sense mu yoriika kein "we are marching to Skyrim."
by paarthurnax
August 2, 2014

Thanks for your questions! I'll do my best to answer them. Off the bat, Dovahzul has very simplified tense and has almost entirely lost any kind of grammatical case system except in pronouns. Because of this, there are going to be some things that will be difficult to translate.

1. Verbs don't conjugate differently for simple present tense or simple past tense. Zu'u lost du'ul could mean "I have a crown" or "I had a crown" depending on the context. As you point out this makes it difficult to differentiate between present perfect tense and pluperfect.

You could say something like zu'u lost krifaan niin to mean "I had fought them," but this would be indistinguishable from "I have fought them." You could use supporting phrases like us "before" or lingrah vod "long ago" to help put your sentence in a past tense context. Lingrah vod zu'u granaan niin nol Keizaal, "Long ago I had routed them from Skyrim."
  2. Future perfect would be fen __-aanzu'u fen kronaan naal tiid hi meyz "I will have won by the time you arrive." Related, future perfect progressive would be fen kosaan ____nust fen kosaan tinvaak "they will have been talking."
  3. Imperative is simply the infinitive verb. Huzrah! "hearken!," krif! "fight!" Kos is used for "to be" imperatives, kos nahlot "be silenced."
  4. Dovahzul is more flexible in this. Verbs always go after the main verb but a to-infinitive isn't required. You can just as easily say zu'u laan wah tinvaak voth Paarthurnax "I want to speak with Paarthurnax" or zu'u laan tinvaak Paarthurnax.
  5. Wah would be used for both. Likewise the suffix -a can be used to indicate a to-infinitive, zu'u laan tinvaaka Paarthurnax "I want to speak with Paarthurnax," or in the dative sense mu yoriika kein "we are marching to Skyrim."

Kazmirus
August 2, 2014

Bek, tol mur honahaat, zu'u zonox hi drey fahral!

by Kazmirus
August 2, 2014

Bek, tol mur honahaat, zu'u zonox hi drey fahral!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.