Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Um, what the heck does Alduin say?

scrptrx
April 23, 2013

When Alduin resurrects a dragon, he says "Ziil gro dovah ulse", or at least that's what the subtitles say.

ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMQBQ9VAwGE

It sounds like the captions are correct as far as what the voice is saying.

Ziil = of the spirit?

Gro = Grod ("bind") ?  Is "gro" a mistake in the captions because of the neighboring D's?

Dovah = Dragon

Ulse = Ul ("eternity") + se ("of the") ?

"Of the bound spirit of the eternal dragon" ?

Is he just so DGAF that he doesn't use his own language structurally, or is it slang? Do we not know what Gro or Ulse mean?

It wouldn't be the first time captions were messed up.

by scrptrx
April 23, 2013

When Alduin resurrects a dragon, he says "Ziil gro dovah ulse", or at least that's what the subtitles say.

Ziil = of the spirit?

Gro = Grod ("bind") ?  Is "gro" a mistake in the captions because of the neighboring D's?

Dovah = Dragon

Is he just so DGAF that he doesn't use his own language structurally, or is it slang? Do we not know what Gro or Ulse mean?

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 23, 2013

There's a little bit of similar discussion here.

A rough translation of what Alduin says is: "Your spirit is forever bound to being dragon."

In canon "l" is the possessive suffix used for when a noun ends in a verb, but doesn't really specify which possessive it is (my, his, her, etc.)  "Se" is used often in a seemingly unknown way that isn't in the Word Walls or other sources and isn't really seen again.

by paarthurnax
April 23, 2013

There's a little bit of similar discussion here.

A rough translation of what Alduin says is: "Your spirit is forever bound to being dragon."

In canon "l" is the possessive suffix used for when a noun ends in a verb, but doesn't really specify which possessive it is (my, his, her, etc.)  "Se" is used often in a seemingly unknown way that isn't in the Word Walls or other sources and isn't really seen again.

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

It really bugs me if "Gro" is just missing the D, because the two words flow together in the audio, it's hard to tell if there is in fact a D at the end of Gro before Dovah starts. I'm inclined to think there is a D and it's just a mistake.

As for Ulse.... 

What if that "of/of the" "se" can be tacked onto the ends of words as well as placed between them?  Maybe it's an "old way" (ie simpler) of writing "do fin/faal" (a phrase that is rare anyway). Maybe it's actually a genetive case ending.

Or it means something else when it's tacked onto the ends of words. It could add "for", sure. 

Ulse, for eternity

Dovahse, for a dragon

Something to watch for I guess.

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

It really bugs me if "Gro" is just missing the D, because the two words flow together in the audio, it's hard to tell if there is in fact a D at the end of Gro before Dovah starts. I'm inclined to think there is a D and it's just a mistake.

As for Ulse.... 

What if that "of/of the" "se" can be tacked onto the ends of words as well as placed between them?  Maybe it's an "old way" (ie simpler) of writing "do fin/faal" (a phrase that is rare anyway). Maybe it's actually a genetive case ending.

Or it means something else when it's tacked onto the ends of words. It could add "for", sure. 

Ulse, for eternity

Dovahse, for a dragon

Something to watch for I guess.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 24, 2013

I do like this idea, it also seems to be making adjectives of some kind (lo + se = false).

by paarthurnax
April 24, 2013

I do like this idea, it also seems to be making adjectives of some kind (lo + se = false).

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

hmmmmmmmmmm............. *scratches chinny chin chin*

if THAT were the case, negating.... (by the way, Latin has a similar suffix -ne, but to indicate a yes/no question)....

Ziil gro dovah ulse

!= "Your spirit is forever bound to being dragon."

but = "Your bound dragon spirit is not eternity."

or = "Your bound dragon spirit is NOT eternity (mortal)."

or even = "Your dragon spirit is NOT mortal-bound."

*POOF* resurrected dragonsssss....

lol....

Then again, it could also be a suffix indicating a command, BUT if that were the case I'd assume it would tack onto a verb.

Since it's tacked onto a noun..... yeah, going with adjective.

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

hmmmmmmmmmm............. *scratches chinny chin chin*

if THAT were the case, negating.... (by the way, Latin has a similar suffix -ne, but to indicate a yes/no question)....

Ziil gro dovah ulse

!= "Your spirit is forever bound to being dragon."

but = "Your bound dragon spirit is not eternity."

or = "Your bound dragon spirit is NOT eternity (mortal)."

or even = "Your dragon spirit is NOT mortal-bound."

*POOF* resurrected dragonsssss....

lol....

Then again, it could also be a suffix indicating a command, BUT if that were the case I'd assume it would tack onto a verb.

Since it's tacked onto a noun..... yeah, going with adjective.

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

Ok just read your other post so....

Ziil gro dovah ulse

Your dragon spirit (was?) bound to a false eternity (or false death?)

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

Ok just read your other post so....

Ziil gro dovah ulse

Your dragon spirit (was?) bound to a false eternity (or false death?)

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 24, 2013

It's not quite negating, that's what "-ni" does.  It's altering the definition of the noun in some way.  "Lo" means "to deceive", and apparently "lose" ("lose-uh") means "false".

What Alduin is saying is that Sahloknir's soul is bound to dragonform for eternity (until the Dragonborn devours it), because that's how he revives all the dragons, by deliviring their souls back to them.

by paarthurnax
April 24, 2013

It's not quite negating, that's what "-ni" does.  It's altering the definition of the noun in some way.  "Lo" means "to deceive", and apparently "lose" ("lose-uh") means "false".

What Alduin is saying is that Sahloknir's soul is bound to dragonform for eternity (until the Dragonborn devours it), because that's how he revives all the dragons, by deliviring their souls back to them.

scrptrx
April 24, 2013

Well that makes more sense.... hehe.

by scrptrx
April 24, 2013

Well that makes more sense.... hehe.

Ziinahven
June 21, 2013
Brynja

Ziil = of the spirit?

Dovah = Dragon

Haha made me laugh

by Ziinahven
June 21, 2013
Brynja

Ziil = of the spirit?

Dovah = Dragon

Haha made me laugh

Ahmuldein
July 21, 2014

am i right to call Alduin a fox and ask "what does the fox say?"?

by Ahmuldein
July 21, 2014

am i right to call Alduin a fox and ask "what does the fox say?"?

Sahkrahfaas
July 22, 2014

I found a website and they'd translated it to "Ever-bound dragon spirit" but I don't know if it's right or not.

I love the way he does Nahagliiv's though.

"Nahgehliiv! Ziil gro dovah ulse!"

^^^^^^^^^^  is definitely how you say Nahagliiv. *sarcastic laugh*

He says it fine as "Alok, Nahagliiv. Tiid boaan."

by Sahkrahfaas
July 22, 2014

I found a website and they'd translated it to "Ever-bound dragon spirit" but I don't know if it's right or not.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 23, 2014
Sahkrahfaas

Yeah, Alduin's pronunciations can be funky sometimes.

The official translation in the dialogue file is "Your soul is bound to me for eternity!"

This is easier to understand with information from the list on Prima Games's website, which states that dovah can also be used to mean "me."

by paarthurnax
July 23, 2014
Sahkrahfaas

Yeah, Alduin's pronunciations can be funky sometimes.

The official translation in the dialogue file is "Your soul is bound to me for eternity!"

This is easier to understand with information from the list on Prima Games's website, which states that dovah can also be used to mean "me."

Sahkrahfaas
July 23, 2014

So he was lying all along. Huh.

And he called one of his allies "fury yes wither". Silly dovah.

by Sahkrahfaas
July 23, 2014

So he was lying all along. Huh.

And he called one of his allies "fury yes wither". Silly dovah.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.